Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2020, 11:36 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWDean View Post

I have no plans to live in RV and never said I did.

You said you lived in two mobile homes and strongly considered a Class A, though, so the rest of this thread has not been much of a stretch. I consider the difference between a mobile home and an RV to be largely semantic.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #22
Platinum Member

This thread has taken some interesting detours to be sure.

Re the mobile home... Do you own the land or are you paying space rent in a mobile home park? If it’s the latter, you do need to consider yourself still a renter without long-term housing security. If you own the land, you have the security of a permanent place to come back to- a place to spread out, to store stuff, to make repairs on your RV, to obtain health care and recuperate from illness, to maintain friendships and community ties. Those are all good things as you age. The "RV port" concept gives you some of the same benefits, but it seems you like living in the LA area.

So... you're considering an RV for occasional recreational travel. It might be your only vehicle. Is that because of limited parking, cost, or...? If it’s your only vehicle, I’d want something as close to a stock van as possible and as close to 20’ as you can live with. The bigger it is, the less enjoyable it is to drive, especially in the city, with fewer options to park. Routine service and repairs on an oversized vehicle can get complicated and time consuming, and you’ll be without alternate transportation while it’s in the shop.

If you have a second parking spot, you might even consider- dare I say it on a Class B forum?- a small towable RV. They are cheaper to buy and insure, easier to work on, and you don’t have to take your camper to the grocery store. We also have a small fiberglass Scamp trailer, 13’ long tongue to bumper. It’s not self-contained, but they also make a self-contained version with a wet bath (bigger than the one in my Roadtrek). It can be towed by a small pickup or even a number of compact SUVs. Insurance is around $130/year (and not required at all unless you want full coverage) versus $850/year for the Roadtrek.

Before you do any of this, you might consider renting an RV. Since you’re “not a camper” by your own admission, it would be nice to find out if it's even something you will enjoy before taking the ownership plunge. It will also help you determine what size RV you really need.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Can you be both a tourer and a camper. That's what I want to be.

I like that Technomadia solution of Casita and home based parking with RV, van and a boat covering all the basis. I didn't see a jeep.

I'm more into permanent ownership instead of lease and rentals. I'm more anchored and though I have one level living now except to change the furnace filter, we do have a walkout lower finished floor with two bedrooms, bathroom and family room for our guest since our children and grandchildren live in three states.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:48 PM   #24
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
You said you lived in two mobile homes and strongly considered a Class A, though, so the rest of this thread has not been much of a stretch. I consider the difference between a mobile home and an RV to be largely semantic.
No, please go back and read. I said I was considering living in an RV instead of buying or renting (at that time I was renting) a place. "I nixed the RV." I purchased a 1500 sq foot 2 bedroom/2 bath mobile home instead of a condo or living in an RV. Mobile homes are nothing like RVs; legally, they are called "manufactured homes."
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:33 PM   #25
Gold Member

I appreciate the comments but it seems my original post is being interpreted as a general inquiry. It was meant to be an introduction and a short bio. In an attempt to clear up some of the confusion consider the following:

(1) I own my own home and will be keeping it (its a manufactured home aka a mobile home)
(2) I own one standard auto
(3) I want to use the RV I purchase to serve the purposes of (2) (I can't afford to keep 2 vehicles)
(4) My budget for a Class B is about 35K (I won't be getting a Class A - or C)
(6) As RV it will be used for 1 or 2-night outings and day use
(7) I will extend (6) if it turns out I like this stuff (I've never owned an RV and I do not camp)
( I saw my first one live last Monday

Naturally there is some flexibility in all of that

I hope that clears things up.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:53 PM   #26
Platinum Member

So now that you saw one for the first time live, what do you think?

I think it is not exactly camping but mobile living as most motorized RVs are.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:19 PM   #27
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
So now that you saw one for the first time live, what do you think?

I think it is not exactly camping but mobile living as most motorized RVs are.
I hope its not like camping...

I saw this one: #132456 - 2007 Roadtrek RS Adventurous for sale in Las Vegas NV

and #33455 - 1997 Pleasure-Way Excel TW for sale in Las Vegas NV

The PW interior was a little shabby and worn, (it is from 1997). I guess it was nothing that couldn't be fixed. The RT a bit out of budget but it was nice.

I called one loan company (usbank) to do a mock loan and they won't finance RV over 12yrs old. I imagine its similar with other lenders. This means I may have to purchase a late 2000/2010, which means I may have to increase my budget. I'm still a couple months out from buying one. Hoping a good deal will drop into my lap in that time