Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 11:45 AM   #1

Default 1988 Dodge xplorer 228 Hitch Receiver

Hi all,

First post here, My brother recently bought an 88 dodge xplorer 228. Its currently sitting in my driveway getting a fluid change and new tires before he drives it a few hours back to his house.

One thing he is looking to install is a rear hitch receiver for a bike rack. Looking underneath, it seems that the main frame rails are not accessible on the rear fiberglass extension so i dont think a standard hitch receiver would bolt right up. Ive seen pictures of other 228s with a hitch receiver and was wondering if they are custom and if anyone might have any photos of how they are mounted to the underside/rear of the van

Pic of said van for inquiring minds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200907_184955979.jpg (279.9 KB, 12 views)
axcxnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
Platinum Member

First post since joining in '2013 (a man of few words).

Probably why we see front-mounted carriers on some of the old Dodges.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:14 AM   #3

I don't know if its available on your area but I would suggest a custom hitch shop. They should be able to design a hitch for the xplorer.
dodgeCoachmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #4

I read through the manual last night and it mentions that a hitch is available from Xplorer. which would indicate its a custom job. Now i know that theres no product out there to fit, ill have to work on a custom option. Im still interested in seeing a picture of one of these with the hitch though to see how someone from the RV factory designed it.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
Silver Member

I don't know about your year but on mine they cut off the back of the van and extended the chassis with 1.5x3' steel tubing. The hitch hangs off of this and it seems pretty subpar for the 4000 lb tow rating. The factory hitch also hangs lower than it needs to...

All that being said, they make universal hitches. They mount to the frame, you will likely have to drill holes, and they telescope from side to side to the frame.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by axcxnj View Post
Hi all,

First post here, My brother recently bought an 88 dodge xplorer 228. Its currently sitting in my driveway getting a fluid change and new tires before he drives it a few hours back to his house.

One thing he is looking to install is a rear hitch receiver for a bike rack. Looking underneath, it seems that the main frame rails are not accessible on the rear fiberglass extension so i dont think a standard hitch receiver would bolt right up. Ive seen pictures of other 228s with a hitch receiver and was wondering if they are custom and if anyone might have any photos of how they are mounted to the underside/rear of the van

Pic of said van for inquiring minds
It was already on our 99 I can have my husband look at it and let ya know!
Chgogirl1171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chgogirl1171 View Post
It was already on our 99 I can have my husband look at it and let ya know!

thanks I appreciate it