Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2024, 02:54 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default 2006 Roadtrek 190 Popular questions

We're in the process of purchasing our first camper van as in the title. The current owner said he recently replaced the house battery. While looking around the vehicle today I peeked at it and its a marine battery, with 750 CCA and 120 Ahr capacity. Based on what I read in the manual he had, it seemed a bit on the low side. The manual was talking about a 290 Ahr battery. A bigger footprint battery would definitely fit in there, but not much taller. I should have taken a picture of the battery, I think the size was "X"24 (not sure what the "X" actually is)

In looking at the 2006 Roadtrek brochure, it says the standard battery is 95 Ahr. Seems like a big disconnect from the owner manual? perhaps the manual was just providing a math example, not a realistic capacity.

Next, the air bag light stayed on, unless the airbags were manually turned off.

One other thing, the sink/counter had some minor cracks. He commented all the Roadtrek vehicles of that vintage he looked at also had cracks. The cracs are enough to see minor discoloration, but don't appear to be significant, as in it wouldn't leak through it.

What's your experience?

PS, during our checkout, while the owner was away, the hot water heater failed. Lucky(?) me, he's replacing it (of course). Seemed like all the other systems were functional.
sbslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 12:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbslider View Post
We're in the process of purchasing our first camper van as in the title. The current owner said he recently replaced the house battery. While looking around the vehicle today I peeked at it and its a marine battery, with 750 CCA and 120 Ahr capacity. Based on what I read in the manual he had, it seemed a bit on the low side. The manual was talking about a 290 Ahr battery. A bigger footprint battery would definitely fit in there, but not much taller. I should have taken a picture of the battery, I think the size was "X"24 (not sure what the "X" actually is)

In looking at the 2006 Roadtrek brochure, it says the standard battery is 95 Ahr. Seems like a big disconnect from the owner manual? perhaps the manual was just providing a math example, not a realistic capacity.

Next, the air bag light stayed on, unless the airbags were manually turned off.

One other thing, the sink/counter had some minor cracks. He commented all the Roadtrek vehicles of that vintage he looked at also had cracks. The cracs are enough to see minor discoloration, but don't appear to be significant, as in it wouldn't leak through it.

What's your experience?

PS, during our checkout, while the owner was away, the hot water heater failed. Lucky(?) me, he's replacing it (of course). Seemed like all the other systems were functional.

The coach side would have come with one or two 95ah batteries, probably marine starting batteries, wet cells. They would be group 27 batteries that are larger than a group 24 which is probably what you were looking at. The manual was probably referring to have (qty)2 90ah batteries if it had the optional second battery.

For coach use the CCA rating doesn't really mean much at all, and I don't think the 120 was ah as you just don't see group 24 batteries with that much. It probably was the Reserve capacity or some other rating, possibly in minutes. It is probably an inexpensive starting battery or maybe a group 24 marine starting battery. Neither are very good for RV use and won't run things long or be very durable in deep discharges.

The airbag light would need to go to a shop that has a scanner to see what is up with that and repairs could be quite expensive sometimes. In used vehicles it can also be a warning that the vehicle had been in a crash and inadequately repaired, possible due to cost, so getting it checked out early and seeing a Carfax before buying is a good idea. Of course a full inspection by an independent source is also good to do.

I have seen a few cracked countertops of the style you probably have. It is commonly because the bathroom door swung open and hit the edge of the counter.

We have had our 07 190P since new, but it is a bit different than yours as it was one of the very first of the new style roof/kitchen/furnace move etc versions. Hopefully, we will have a long time more.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 03:12 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The coach side would have come with one or two 95ah batteries, probably marine starting batteries, wet cells. They would be group 27 batteries that are larger than a group 24 which is probably what you were looking at. The manual was probably referring to have (qty)2 90ah batteries if it had the optional second battery.
Where would a second battery go? The spot where the one is located doensn't have room for another. Also looking for a recommendation for a replacement for that battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The airbag light would need to go to a shop that has a scanner to see what is up with that and repairs could be quite expensive sometimes. In used vehicles it can also be a warning that the vehicle had been in a crash and inadequately repaired, possible due to cost, so getting it checked out early and seeing a Carfax before buying is a good idea. Of course a full inspection by an independent source is also good to do.
I brought an ODB pod with me (and left it in the van ) but I didn't see any fault codes. I put it in my car and didn't see any there either. Maybe I should have looked harder . . .
Old 03-09-2024, 04:08 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

"Where would a second battery go?"

It is shown in your manual. The compartment in front of the rear tire, if you have one.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 04:36 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"Where would a second battery go?"

It is shown in your manual. The compartment in front of the rear tire, if you have one.
Thanks! The van's 100 miles away until the water heater is fixed, but I'll check it out when I get my hands on it again.
Old 03-09-2024, 05:52 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Where would a second battery go? The spot where the one is located doensn't have room for another. Also looking for a recommendation for a replacement for that battery.

I brought an ODB pod with me (and left it in the van ) but I didn't see any fault codes. I put it in my car and didn't see any there either. Maybe I should have looked harder . . .

I don't think the generic readers do any real diagnostics, and that is what you would need.

Are you referring to the passenger side airbag switch on the dash? It is made to be off all the time except when the switch is in the off position for the passenger side bag, so turning off the switch should light the indicator.

AFAIK, that is the only bag you can turn off.
Old 03-11-2024, 02:55 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
While looking around the vehicle today I peeked at it and its a marine battery, with 750 CCA and 120 Ahr capacity. Based on what I read in the manual he had, it seemed a bit on the low side. The manual was talking about a 290 Ahr battery. A bigger footprint battery would definitely fit in there, but not much taller. I should have taken a picture of the battery, I think the size was "X"24 (not sure what the "X" actually is)
This was a very worthwhile read for a nerdy electrical engineer regarding battery selection for deep cycle lead batteries.

After reading I'm sure the battery I saw was labeled 120 minute capacity, not 120 AHr. I also realize the manual just had a math example in it, not discussing the actual capacity would fit in this van.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:03 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
This was a very worthwhile read for a nerdy electrical engineer regarding battery selection for deep cycle lead batteries.

After reading I'm sure the battery I saw was labeled 120 minute capacity, not 120 AHr. I also realize the manual just had a math example in it, not discussing the actual capacity would fit in this van.

That article is pretty good, and gives the information needed to understand what is going on. It is mainly focused on wet cells however, and very few RVers are using wet cells anymore for lots of good reasons and some not so good reasons.

One thing I didn't see but could have just missed is that true deep cycle batteries outgas (some call in boiling, but it isn't) than the non deep cycle batteries and that means you have to add water more often and you will get more corrosion of the battery trays, slides, and any other metal around the batteries.

On how much power you are going to really need in your Roadtrek, it is likely you don't know that yet. In a stock Roadtrek with a propane frig, you can get by on 20ah per day or less, but most people use a lot more and are closer to 50ah per day, I think. Switching to LED lighting and such can save some power use and not using a high drain tv/surround sound (if it has it) can also help. Lots of way to use too much power also with all the laptops, tablets, other devices to charge and use these days. Some also want different electric cooking devices also like slow cookers, Instant Pots, etc. A 2006 won't be able to do much of that stuff beyond charging things because of the small 700 watt modified sine wave inverter. I stock form you can't run microwave unless plugged in to shore power.

My guess is that the single gp24 marine battery will not run things long in the van and it will fail quickly, possibly in well under two years. If you don't use battery trays with slides, you could probably get to two gp31 batteries in you unit, one in each compartment in the right rear. Adding the second battery needs a tray or holddown and a couple of cables to do. Hardest part is probably lifting the van high enough and safely enough to work under it. Most have gone with two gp31 or gp27 AGM batteries with only holddowns because you never need to add water, in vans like yours by now, I think.

There are many, many discussions in the history of this forum you may want to look at about power use, upgrades, results, costs, etc.

What happened to you in the battery nomenclature misleading specifications is nothing new as we see and hear the same thing many times over on the forum.

Our 07 190P started out with the two battery option on it, and had two already failed GP27 marine batteries in it when we got it new. I had to replace them in the first two weeks we had it and neither Roadtrek or Exide would back them up. Since then we have upgraded the power system multiple times. Sometimes to cover added power use, like a compressor frig, and others to get to a point of longer term offgrid capability. The last change was also a combination of capacity increase and education project to learn about lithium batteries personally. The goal was less frequent charging and the convenience of not even needing to plug in when electricity is available at the campsite, unless we need to run the air conditioning. We also added some electric cooking. We are now at 618ah of battery capacity.
Old 03-12-2024, 12:45 AM   #9
Bronze Member

Good point about outgassing. Thanks for your response
Old 03-14-2024, 04:24 PM   #10

On the airbag light 9 times out of 10 it is the wires under the passenger seat have came apart from being swiveled! Start there before spending big money!
ClassicVans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 04:39 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicVans View Post
On the airbag light 9 times out of 10 it is the wires under the passenger seat have came apart from being swiveled! Start there before spending big money!
thanks for the tip!
Old 03-14-2024, 04:52 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicVans View Post

Does a 2006 Express even have a passenger seat occupation sensor? Our 07 only has two wires to it, and they appear to power the bolster adjustment motor.

I have read numerous places that if you have the on/off switch for the passenger seat, it is highly unlikely that there is also an occupation switch in the seat as it is refundant. Ours has the switch and the OP also mentioned the switch if it was the same one.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:01 PM   #13
Platinum Member

My 1997 PleasureWay had a single type24 for house in compartment under the van. I believe its rating was 80AH. There was enough room in the box for me to put a 100AH in which I did. I'm atypical on this group since I've never upgraded beyond that. With propane stove and fridge it has worked for me. Generally driving between campsites gets me enough power for the next night since I use very little. When I'm at a site for several days I use a portable solar panel which does a good job.

If I was less lazy I'd probably put in 2 200AH Lithium and a B2B with a lithium profile between alternator and batteries. My charger/converter and solar controller can be configured for lithium. Some day. Maybe.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:15 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
My 1997 PleasureWay had a single type24 for house in compartment under the van. I believe its rating was 80AH. There was enough room in the box for me to put a 100AH in which I did. I'm atypical on this group since I've never upgraded beyond that. With propane stove and fridge it has worked for me. Generally driving between campsites gets me enough power for the next night since I use very little. When I'm at a site for several days I use a portable solar panel which does a good job.

If I was less lazy I'd probably put in 2 200AH Lithium and a B2B with a lithium profile between alternator and batteries. My charger/converter and solar controller can be configured for lithium. Some day. Maybe.

If you have what you need, there really isn't a reason to change unless it is a science project (yeah, I do that often) just to learn. Of course some would want bragging rights also, but that is a whole different topic