Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2023, 02:49 PM   #1

Default 2021 Winnebago Solis 59px or a 2010 Winnebago ERA 170X

Hi everyone,

I am excited to buy my first class b campervan. I have been thinking about this for years, and I'm ready to purchase.

So, here's the models I've narrowed it down to:

1) 2010 Winnebago ERA 170x - the coach is in perfect condition, with only 50K miles on it, and low hours on the generator. Reasonable price tag. I plan to have a pre-purchase inspection on it to make sure there is minimal rust and technically it works.

2) 2021 Winnebago Solis 59px - low miles, more modern, shorter (21 feet vs 24 feet) but a much higher price tag

Regarding the ERA, everyone says that the diesel engine will last longer, has more power, better for towing, better gas mileage, but...diesel maintenance is more expensive (I was told 2x)

Regarding the Solis, it's newer (so perhaps more years of enjoyment before it breaks) has a poptop (in case my college bound kids ever come camping with us, but I doubt it), but it's at least $30K more....

Can't decide which way to go - would love some advice. Thank yo so much
Jmonache63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 08:09 PM   #2
Bronze Member

I have no experience with either, but as a first RV, I would go with the ERA and do my "learning" with an older and cheaper RV. Less "Heartbreaking" when "Accident" happens...!

Just my two cents.

NOTE: Few years ago, I bought a used (but well maintained) 2014 Roadtrek Ranger RT with low miles and today I still enjoy it very much...Yes I made mistakes and learned from it...We all do...!

Cheers,
habsfan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 03:37 AM   #3

Default 24' Sprinter 3500

I can't comment on the ERA but I have a 2018 Coachmen Galleria which is a Mercedes Sprinter 3500 (24'). It runs and drives like a dream, and the extra 3' of interior space is more than welcome. Oil changes are more expensive, but they can be 20,000 miles apart so much less frequent. Fuel economy is excellent. You do need to pay attention to the extra length, but that's really an issue of choosing parking spaces. The length keeps you under the 25' restriction against Rv's on some NP roads (e.g. Yellowstone). It is too long for the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier (21' limit), but ride the hiker shuttle and avoid the timed entry and traffic hassles if you go. Enjoy whichever you choose. Happy travels!
MiddKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 07:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmonache63 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am excited to buy my first class b campervan. I have been thinking about this for years, and I'm ready to purchase.

So, here's the models I've narrowed it down to:

1) 2010 Winnebago ERA 170x - the coach is in perfect condition, with only 50K miles on it, and low hours on the generator. Reasonable price tag. I plan to have a pre-purchase inspection on it to make sure there is minimal rust and technically it works.

2) 2021 Winnebago Solis 59px - low miles, more modern, shorter (21 feet vs 24 feet) but a much higher price tag

Regarding the ERA, everyone says that the diesel engine will last longer, has more power, better for towing, better gas mileage, but...diesel maintenance is more expensive (I was told 2x)

Regarding the Solis, it's newer (so perhaps more years of enjoyment before it breaks) has a poptop (in case my college bound kids ever come camping with us, but I doubt it), but it's at least $30K more....

Can't decide which way to go - would love some advice. Thank yo so much
If you are buying it from a state where weather, i.e. rain and snow and salt on the roads is an issue, double down on the rust inspection. The usual inspectors don't do a very thorough job on this stuff. I speak from experience
IrishCalexico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, era, gas, solis 59px, solis vs. era