Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2023, 02:58 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 04:04 PM   #22

Is there too much refrigerant or is the condenser coil dirty?
nicklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 02:25 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Thanks everyone for the replies--great to hear your experience. I was letting the van get too hot and I think it is not always realistic to expect a quick reduction in internal temp. My A/C intake vs exit air has about a 21 degree differential, so the unit is cooling.

In my case, the temp sensor was placed in a rather stupid spot too. It's under one of the upper cabinets, so it can get warm just from the heat hitting the side of the van. A USB fan helped address this problem without taking things apart.

I really like the ideas for external shades. I have nice light blocking internal shades, but you just feel how hot they get in the sun. Luckily, my wife is great at sewing, so I see a winter project or two coming up.
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 04:16 PM   #24
Platinum Member

JonMN,

Is your air conditioner a 120 volt or 12 volt unit?
Old 09-06-2023, 08:58 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I use windshield cover as well, great way to keep our van cooler. https://www.eurocampers.com/2007--20...ge_p_2345.html
These are about $20 on eBay.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 06:55 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
These are about $20 on eBay.
$20 is certainly a good price, I would question if quality, fit to Sprinter, and rolling screened side windows features are the same. A piece of aluminized bubble packing material with ducting tape could be purchased for a couple of $.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 04:47 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post
"I cut the magnets out and put in grommets and attach them using the same rubber coated pot magnets that I used in my home made covers."
Thanks for the tip on the magnets--looks like a nice cover! I have also have some paint protective film sitting around; I could pieces on the van under the magnet locations.
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 01:00 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMN View Post
Thanks for the tip on the magnets--looks like a nice cover! I have also have some paint protective film sitting around; I could pieces on the van under the magnet locations.

I normally put a layer oy electical tape on the magnets to protect the paint, but be aware that any between the steel and the magnet reduces holding power.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 01:12 PM   #29
Platinum Member

We bought our 2020 Galleria built on a 2019 Sprinter chassis, in 2020. The van is painted silver. We paid $3700 extra for the Pro Air 12 volt air conditioner, rated by Pro Air at 20k btu. Well, the Pro Air was over-hyped and the first time we used it in a moderately warm environment I considered it to be underperforming. Now 3 years later my opinion remains the same. Even having made the amendments listed below, the Pro Air remains challenged to cool our coach.

Early on I added:
a. ceiling to floor, wall to wall curtains, behind the front seats to reduce the impact from windshield heat and reduce the area to be cooled.
b. I had ceramic film applied to every window in the van.
c. We bought a white ADCO windshield and front doors cover that mounts on the exterior.
d. I peeled off the 3 original Go Power flex solar panels that were glued directly to the roof. They were heat sinks and the van's roof was 20 degrees warmer under the panels compared to the uncovered roof area adjacent to the solar panels on a sunny 70 degree day. I replaced the 3 flex panels with 4 hard solar panels. The new solar panels' top surface is 2.75" above the van's roof, thus providing air flow underneath and shade to about 35% of the roof.
e. at the beginning of the 2nd season of ownership I found a loose refrigerant hose fitting on the Pro Air. I took it to a garage and had the refrigerant replenished.
f. I added insulation to both front doors, the sliding door and both rear doors.

Subsequent to all of the above amendments, the Pro Air remained a mediocre air conditioner. And Pro Air filed bankruptcy.

Two weeks ago our van was parked in our driveway on a sunny day. The outside temperature was 87 degrees, and I did not install the ADCO white windshield cover. I switched the Pro Air on high. 1.5 hours later the temp inside the coach was 86 degrees.

The good news...yesterday I removed the 12 volt Pro Air and installed a 120 volt Gree air conditioner rated at 15k btu. My wife came inside the van after the Gree had been running for 45 minutes. She said the air in here is cold. And yes it was, and I noticed 2 side windows and the overhead fan vent were open.

I don't know why the first photo loaded sideways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00823.jpg (189.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00824.jpg (179.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-13-2023, 02:32 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb496 View Post
We bought our 2020 Galleria built on a 2019 Sprinter chassis, in 2020. The van is painted silver. We paid $3700 extra for the Pro Air 12 volt air conditioner, rated by Pro Air at 20k btu. Well, the Pro Air was over-hyped and the first time we used it in a moderately warm environment I considered it to be underperforming. Now 3 years later my opinion remains the same. Even having made the amendments listed below, the Pro Air remains challenged to cool our coach.

Early on I added:
a. ceiling to floor, wall to wall curtains, behind the front seats to reduce the impact from windshield heat and reduce the area to be cooled.
b. I had ceramic film applied to every window in the van.
c. We bought a white ADCO windshield and front doors cover that mounts on the exterior.
d. I peeled off the 3 original Go Power flex solar panels that were glued directly to the roof. They were heat sinks and the van's roof was 20 degrees warmer under the panels compared to the uncovered roof area adjacent to the solar panels on a sunny 70 degree day. I replaced the 3 flex panels with 4 hard solar panels. The new solar panels' top surface is 2.75" above the van's roof, thus providing air flow underneath and shade to about 35% of the roof.
e. at the beginning of the 2nd season of ownership I found a loose refrigerant hose fitting on the Pro Air. I took it to a garage and had the refrigerant replenished.
f. I added insulation to both front doors, the sliding door and both rear doors.

Subsequent to all of the above amendments, the Pro Air remained a mediocre air conditioner. And Pro Air filed bankruptcy.

Two weeks ago our van was parked in our driveway on a sunny day. The outside temperature was 87 degrees, and I did not install the ADCO white windshield cover. I switched the Pro Air on high. 1.5 hours later the temp inside the coach was 86 degrees.

The good news...yesterday I removed the 12 volt Pro Air and installed a 120 volt Gree air conditioner rated at 15k btu. My wife came inside the van after the Gree had been running for 45 minutes. She said the air in here is cold. And yes it was, and I noticed 2 side windows and the overhead fan vent were open.

I don't know why the first photo loaded sideways.
Long time ago in a land far away I converted a bus to RV. I wanted to duct the AC and ordered the manufacturers AC installation manual. I was surprised at the design specific's and calculations required to properly design the duct work. I would hazard a guess that many RV manufacturers do not know the manual's exist and install by the seat of their pants. The Pro Air may have been a good unit but poorly installed. I see the same issues in far too many houses today also, horrible installations!
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 04:01 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
Long time ago in a land far away I converted a bus to RV. I wanted to duct the AC and ordered the manufacturers AC installation manual. I was surprised at the design specific's and calculations required to properly design the duct work. I would hazard a guess that many RV manufacturers do not know the manual's exist and install by the seat of their pants. The Pro Air may have been a good unit but poorly installed. I see the same issues in far too many houses today also, horrible installations!
The 12 volt Pro Air is installed one way only. There is no duct work involved. That technology isn't ready for prime time. Coachmen moved away from Pro Air and began installing Premier 12 volt units. Galleria owners with the Premier unit complain of the same issue, poor cooling. We Galleria owners with Pro Air or Premier units are lining up for conversion to 120 volt units. I decided to do my own installation.

This was copied from a former Premier owner. Subsequently he has replaced his 12 volt Premier with a 120 volt unit.

Attended Sunshine State rv roundup for Coachman owners at the Ocala RV horse farm. I was surprised their were only 8 Galleria's that showed up with the rest being the Beyond model [over 60 units].
The subject of the Premier 12 volt AC units and its inability to cool down the coach's was highlighted. Representatives of the Coachman factory were there to witness the lack of performance. The temperature outside was over 80 degrees but the coach's could not go lower than 79 degrees. Myself and others along with Coachman are investigating this and I will post the findings when finished.
Truma who had a booth in the tent was instrumental in slamming the Premier in favor of their 110 volt unit. Also how many change outs they have done on Coachmans. The reliability of the Premier was decreased as a result of their sales pitch.

Nomadic is touting their 12 volt air conditioners to be something they really aren't. I've already read comments from Nomadic owners that parallel my opinion of the Pro Air.
Old 09-13-2023, 05:51 PM   #32
Site Team

You may want to check out undermountAC.com.
They are a little company that has been working hard to deliver good 12V and 24V split systems for B-vans. They starting as resellers for ProAir. But, since ProAir is out of business, they have presumably been branching out. They have both ducted and ductless evaporators. You will find much discussion about them over at the Transit forum.

I have one of their ducted systems. I don't yet have enough extreme heat experience to comment on the cooling performance, but so far so good, and feedback from others seems positive.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 11:59 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
You may want to check out undermountAC.com.
They are a little company that has been working hard to deliver good 12V and 24V split systems for B-vans. They starting as resellers for ProAir. But, since ProAir is out of business, they have presumably been branching out. They have both ducted and ductless evaporators. You will find much discussion about them over at the Transit forum.

I have one of their ducted systems. I don't yet have enough extreme heat experience to comment on the cooling performance, but so far so good, and feedback from others seems positive.
With all the modifications I listed above, I remember being in Phoenix, AZ in October of 2022. We parked at a Harvest Host location one afternoon at about 4 pm. The ambient temp was 90-92 degrees. In that we had been driving for hours using the Sprinter's air conditioner, the coach wasn't heat-soaked when we parked. We positioned the van under the overhang of a funeral home to take advantage of the shade. Still, the Pro Air struggled to maintain a temp of 85 degrees which I found disappointing. We were subjected to been there done that for the umpteenth time. My wife and I are the only occupants of our 24' long Galleria.

As of yesterday I made the switch to a Gree 120 volt air conditioner that was shipped to me for $1350, and I am satisfied with the decision for more reasons than unit price. I have walked away from 12 volt units permanently because all of the 12 volt air conditioner manufacturers offer a product that sells for 3x-4x the cost of 120 volt units, and every one of them touts the benefits of owning one of their units. Those claims of superiority appear to be sales oriented but not supported by performance or efficiency.

Best to you and the selection of the unit you opted for.