Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #61

Default Life is too short

I have no idea if this is legal or not but if some person from the state goes after you - they have a near unlimited legal budget and you need to defend yourself. You legal cost in the first 5 minutes will eclipse any savings.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I have no idea if this is legal or not but if some person from the state goes after you - they have a near unlimited legal budget and you need to defend yourself. You legal cost in the first 5 minutes will eclipse any savings.
ne leones cimex (Don't bug the lions)
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:45 PM   #63
Bronze Member

Move to Montana or Texas where we don't have state income tax. We have sales tax but if you are a high income earner, you more than make up the difference. If you are just on social security, you will not.
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:50 AM   #64
Bronze Member

Rather than asking us knuckleheads, I would suggest you consult your tax advisor (if you are paying that much in property tax, et al., I hope you have one) or a lawyer.

It would cost you $100-200, most likely. Please do that before you risk getting yourself in trouble. If it is legal, I don't see what the ethical concern is.
2002 Keystone Cougar 28BH
davedutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:08 AM   #65
Bronze Member

If he lives in California, and has property, he is rich.
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosman View Post
If he lives in California, and has property, he is rich.
If you live in California, chances are that the bank owns the property and even with an advanced degree you are working two jobs to pay the mortgage on a 50-year-old two-bedroom dump.

The natives call that second job a "side-hustle" but perhaps that is what it is called elsewhere, too.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #67
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
If you live in California, chances are that the bank owns the property and even with an advanced degree you are working two jobs to pay the mortgage on a 50-year-old two-bedroom dump.

The natives call that second job a "side-hustle" but perhaps that is what it is called elsewhere, too.
If you are working 2 jobs to pay a mortgage on a 50-year-old 2 bedroom dump, then whether or not you need to worry about sales tax on an RV should be the least of your concerns. Mental health would prob be the issue.
I would also hope the person's "advanced degree," as you mentioned, is in psychology so he/she might figure out where they went wrong.
To each their own, but I love living in No. San Diego County. Yes, it's ungodly expensive, yes it's crowded, but it's like that for a reason.
It's RV time the whole year!
wrightstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:56 PM   #68
Platinum Member

https://jalopnik.com/georgia-is-crac...1830035589/amp

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #69
Bronze Member

This article makes some scary points about this well-known scheme.

https://jalopnik.com/the-pitfalls-of...cam-1711216059
2002 Keystone Cougar 28BH
davedutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:23 PM   #70
Bronze Member

Default One Way to Get Caught

Friend of ours is a college student, resident of Oregon but attending school in the San Francisco Bay Area. When she started commuting across a bridge for an intern job, it wasn't long before she got a letter claiming she must be a California resident because she used the bridge regularly and therefore must re-register her car in CA.

Moral - if you plan to use this scheme, stay off bridges!
Neals384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:29 AM   #71
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
Friend of ours is a college student, resident of Oregon but attending school in the San Francisco Bay Area. When she started commuting across a bridge for an intern job, it wasn't long before she got a letter claiming she must be a California resident because she used the bridge regularly and therefore must re-register her car in CA.

Moral - if you plan to use this scheme, stay off bridges!
It's probably computer generated without any practical means of enforcement. FWIW, Fastrak welcomes out of state vehicles to open a Fastrak account. Also in most states, students and military are not required to re-register their vehicles.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #72
Platinum Member

First off, I really like travelling in Cali. Well, except for the price of gasoline.

My oldest son and wife were in the military, stationed at NAS Point Mugu. He was buying a new motorcycle and Cal dealers were required to charge sales tax. He was/is a Washington resident, she Oregon. He had to buy the bike out of state to legally avoid sales tax. And yes, the bike was registered in OR in her name.

They are both retired now. Yes, I'm proud of both of them.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:20 PM   #73
Bud
Platinum Member

Not rv's, rather exotic cars in Georgia.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:48 PM   #74
Platinum Member

More info about Montana.

Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:03 AM   #75
Bronze Member

In Canada, if you are buying a used RV, you only pay tax on the 'black book' value of the chassis, not the chassis and upgrades. As example, an unimproved 2006 Sprinter might only be worth 6 to $8,000. If you are transferring the title at the motor vehicle licensing office, pay tax on the 'black book' value. If buying at a dealership, the same may not apply.
Craig.Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #76

More power to OP if he can get away with it.
suncalrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #77
Platinum Member

Default AZ

For those who live in Arizona- there is no sales tax on a private party used vehicle sale- that can save almost 10% right there.

So used- and no dealers- dealers have to collect taxes

The MT LLC, i looked into it a few years ago-

In AZ we are encouraged to report out of State licensed vehicles as they do not pay their share.

I'm paying fees for 4 cars and 3 bikes and the guy a block over isn't.

PHX has some of the worst air in the nation esp in the winter- the inversion holds the tailpipe emissions close to the ground- out of State vehicles may not meet standards due to poor condition.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:15 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
That is simply whataboutism. We don't tax alcohol or cigarettes primarily for revenue--we do it to discourage behaviors that are bad for the individual and extremely expensive for society. In a perfect world, there would be a precise tax calculated the exactly pays the social cost of every activity. In practice, we are nowhere near smart enough to do this, so we pick the low-hanging fruit where the cost is extremely obvious and generally non-controversial. This isn't "punishing" anybody. It is simply cost-recovery from the individual to the community.

In any event, "fairness" has nothing whatsoever to do with the ethics of following the law. It is the law. As George and others have said, you have your share of the power to change the law. Or, there are plenty of other places to live. In the mean time, we have all agreed to follow all laws to the best of our ability. This is the social contract.
This is a total statist bs argument. I don't need or want the government all up in my business let alone stealing money from me and then threatening punishment or imprisonment unless I bow down to their will.

I refuse to subscribe to any "social contract" aside from The Golden Rule.
suncalrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:27 PM   #79
Gold Member

Quote:
This is a total statist bs argument. I don't need or want the government all up in my business let alone stealing money from me and then threatening punishment or imprisonment unless I bow down to their will.

I refuse to subscribe to any "social contract" aside from The Golden Rule.

That attitude is fine with me, IF you also eschew all of the advantages of the "society" you are refusing to subscribe to - don't use the roads & bridges, schools, rely on police to keep you safe, etc. and all the other things that we as a "society" pay for.

I pay my share and I resent anyone who uses those provided services but doesn't pay.
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:44 PM   #80
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J Phillips View Post
That attitude is fine with me, IF you also eschew all of the advantages of the "society" you are refusing to subscribe to - don't use the roads & bridges, schools, rely on police to keep you safe, etc. and all the other things that we as a "society" pay for.

I pay my share and I resent anyone who uses those provided services but doesn't pay.
what he said...
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote