Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2023, 08:46 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Back-up, forward and blindspot cameras

I just ordered these back-up, forward and blindspot cameras. There's a flash sale right now. $349

I'm excited to try them out!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Eyesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 02:23 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Are blind spots really an issue on these things? Or are the mirrors just really poor on some models?

I'm not knocking the idea.. I'm really genuinely curious if there's something here I'm missing. I haven't had my Econoline on the road yet, only shuttling it around the yard, I can see all the way down both sides with just the mirrors on it. I've driven some pretty large commercial trucks, and same thing, and same thing - assuming mirrors are set correctly, seeing the length of both sides is a non issue.

Judging distance off the deep convex mirrors can take some getting used to, but wide angle camera views would be similar too.

Or is this more of a "I really need the reverse camera, and all the kits just come with blind spot cameras anyways?" thing?
Detroit80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 02:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit80 View Post
Are blind spots really an issue on these things? Or are the mirrors just really poor on some models?
Neither. The problem is that approximately nobody knows how to properly adjust the side mirrors to eliminate blind spots. The proper technique was developed by the SAE in 1995, and it works amazingly well. Drivers' training has done an awful job at teaching it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-blind-spots/
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:08 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Neither. The problem is that approximately nobody knows how to properly adjust the side mirrors to eliminate blind spots. The proper technique was developed by the SAE in 1995, and it works amazingly well. Drivers' training has done an awful job at teaching it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...d-blind-spots/
Most drivers don't know how to property operate their vehicle's systems, how the various controls are designed to be used, or how any of them work.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:18 PM   #5
Gold Member

I’m using one of the blind spot cameras to mount on the roof to watch the air conditioner which sits at 10.5’ high. I use street parking, here in Los Angeles, and there are many low hanging trees. Also, being 18’ long makes it rare the I find a parking spot that’s not extremely tight, so front and rear cams are welcome. Finally, regarding the blind spot, the wide angle mirror covers it, but a dedicated HD camera with a 10” screen is certainly welcome as the little convex mirror takes me longer to judge if it’s clear or not.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:07 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998Phoenix View Post
I’m using one of the blind spot cameras to mount on the roof to watch the air conditioner which sits at 10.5’ high. I use street parking, here in Los Angeles, and there are many low hanging trees.
Ahhh, that would be one of those things that hadn't occured to me. I live and play in the Arizona desert, and low hanging things aren't really a concern here outside of some bridges, and even that's a rare thing.

The few trees that grow big enough to present an issue would only be on off road trails that I wouldn't take this thing down anyways.
Detroit80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 01:15 AM   #7

Thanks so much, I'll be checking these out. Our current backup cam is built in and does a horrible job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eyesore View Post
I just ordered these back-up, forward and blindspot cameras. There's a flash sale right now. $349

I'm excited to try them out!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
AmberLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 01:36 AM   #8
Gold Member

I’m halfway done installing them. This picture is so sharp, it’s ridiculous. I’ll follow up with the final pics when I have it all up and running.
Old 07-01-2023, 10:38 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Back in the good old days we used to buy baby monitors at Sam's club, reverse the wiring in the monitor. All for less than $60
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 11:03 PM   #10
Gold Member

Haha! Love it!
Old 07-02-2023, 10:45 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Agree that people do not know how to adjust mirrors, I have directed people to You tube videos for help.

I think blind spot mirrors are more for camp grounds and parking and such. I bought a wired system and will add a wireless blind spot camera as they can be an issue to wire. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DC4DM3N...roduct_details
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote