Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2023, 02:24 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Check Your Airbags for Aging

While under my 2006 Roadtrek 210P I checked the Firestone airbags and was surprised how deteriorated the rubber outer surface was. I installed these 12 years ago and they have been great. I have noticed the bags leak down more now than in prior years. I did find a leaking fitting when I installed new bags so that may have been the leak problem.

Anyway, I suggest you check your airbags if they have any age on them. The Firestone airbags themselves are available. Cost $80 each.

I am curious how well the Airlift bags hold up. I considered changing to the Airlift as I am not sure Firestone makes the kit (2337) for the Express vans anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Firestone Airbags Deteriorated.jpg (301.2 KB, 12 views)
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 03:53 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Good suggestion. The reason I had the rear springs re-arched on my 97PW a few years back was that the driver's side of the RV was sitting lower than the passenger's. That was even with both airbags completely deflated. When they had the rear of the RV apart they showed me the airbags and they looked pretty deteriorated. It also dawned on me that they both lost air rather quickly. So as long as it was all apart I replaced the bags and the tubing/fittings. Not that much more to do it. BTW: I decided to buy an air pump to keep them filled on long trips. Since I had other Worx tools, I bought their air pump as a "tool only" purchase. Works great.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 11:54 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
When they had the rear of the RV apart they showed me the airbags and they looked pretty deteriorated.
What brand were your airbags?
Old 07-07-2023, 02:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Firestone. But remember my PW is 1997. That's 9 yrs older than yours.
Old 07-07-2023, 02:22 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Oh. They were replaced with Firestone bags.
Old 07-07-2023, 02:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Firestone. But remember my PW is 1997. That's 9 yrs older than yours.
So your airbags were about 20 years old. Do you recall if they looked as bad as mine?

I guess the airbags are fairly robust even when they look bad. Nonetheless, when I saw mine I stopped driving the van until I could get the bags replaced.
Old 07-07-2023, 03:24 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Mine looked worse. I took my RV to a place that does truck suspensions. When they took apart the rear suspension I requested that they test the air bags. One had a slow leak, the other had a bad fitting coming out of the bag. They thought I'd be ok replacing the one and a new fitting on the other but the bags aren't that expensive and it seemed better to just replace both. With the rear suspension already apart the labor cost was minimal. I also had them put 4 Bilsteins on. The whole ride improved dramatically when they were done.