Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-21-2022, 01:39 PM   #1
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: AZ
Posts: 22
Default Class B in garage

How many Class B's if any can fit in a standard garage
__________________

Jimc1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:06 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 388
Default

Assuming it's a 7ft tall garage door you'd be limited to a pop-top on a compact or mid-size commercial van. Recon Camper for example has a nicely finished Nissan NV200 compact campervan. GTRV and Peace Vans upfit somewhat larger units on the mid-size Mercedes Metris chassis. These would all fit under a 'standard' 7ft garage door.

For homes with 8ft garage doors the low-roof Ford Transit can be outfitted with pop-tops from companies such as Sportsmobile and GTRV. If the door can be raised to 9ft height a number of opportunities become available including mid roof Sprinter or Promaster pop-tops, high roof Promasters without rooftop AC, and older Roadtrek or similar vans with AC in back.
__________________

rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 10,608
Default

If you can get to the 9' door you would be able to get a used Chevy based class b that would fit, especially the Roadtreks.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:16 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
GeorgeRa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,780
Default

We parked two Westfalia Camper Van based on VW in standard height garage doors, and our current Sprinter based Camper Van in 10’ high garage doors.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:29 PM   #5
Bronze Member
 
Nspekter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Illinois
Posts: 45
Default

Rialtas were advertised that they would fit in a garage.
Nspekter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 01:05 AM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chaska MN/Mesa AZ
Posts: 1,499
Default

The answer to how many is none. The reality is that the US no longer makes any commercial sized vans that fit in a standard garage that has a 7 ft door. The shortest Transit might, but my neighbor has a low roof and it won't fit in our supposed 7 ft doors... forget adding on a fan or AC unit.

Even the Chevy Express is a smidge over 7 ft... and many garages are more than a smidge less that the advertised 7 ft.

Thus, there are no Class B rigs that will fit. Only the pop-up conversions of mini-vans, midi-vans, and those compact work vans like the NV 200, Ram City, and Transit connect. I'm not sure if any of them would qualify as a Class B or RV under RVIA or various state definitions.

(PS... a Rialta isn't a Class B)
__________________
2021 Promaster 1500 118wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (almost a Zion)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:26 PM   #7
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspekter View Post
Rialtas were advertised that they would fit in a garage.
Rialtas were 8-1/2 ft tall with rooftop AC, and just under 22 ft long, so they would require a 9ft garage door. Without AC they're a bit under 7-3/4 ft height and would fit under an eight foot garage door (if you have enough length).

Winnebago didn't market the Rialta as garageable, however they did offer the Eurovan Camper on the same VW powered chassis. It was a true RVIA certified Class B and stood 80" tall, leaving a few inches of clearance under a standard 7ft (84 in) garage door.

When VW discontinued the T4 Transporter (Eurovan) for North America in 2003 the available stock of Eurovan Campers sold out quickly. However Winnebago had enough T4 Tractor Head drive units to build out Rialtas for the next couple years.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:16 PM   #8
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Seabeck, WA
Posts: 13
Default

2006 Roadtrek Adventurous (2005 Sprinter chassis) with rooftop AC. We custom designed our garage RV bay to fit our Roadtrek: 10' wide and 10' high. And the rollup track must be mounted high enough so that no part of the door hangs below the 10'
SeabeckStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:43 AM   #9
Platinum Member
 
Hatteras Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: PA now; Cape Hatteras for 20 years previously
Posts: 102
Default

Had to build separate pole barn for my sprinter. 10 foot wide doors and 12 foot high. (commercial doors and openers) Even at 10 foot wide, you only have 1 - 2 inches of clearance on the standard mirrors. Painting a stripe on the garage floor really helps with backing it in straight.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:50 PM   #10
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: souther california
Posts: 30
Default

Great reply Rocky...I didn't think any would fit but you've enlightened me. Wish I could find indoor parking for my vintage Roadtrek.
Safe travels
s
sehsteve@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:18 AM   #11
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 10,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatteras Jim View Post
Had to build separate pole barn for my sprinter. 10 foot wide doors and 12 foot high. (commercial doors and openers) Even at 10 foot wide, you only have 1 - 2 inches of clearance on the standard mirrors. Painting a stripe on the garage floor really helps with backing it in straight.

Are you sure you only have a couple of inches per side? The information I found says a Sprinter is a touch under 8' wide with the mirrors so it sounds like you must have 9' wide doors like we do.


I also have a "landing strip" of two white lines painted on the floor. Hard to get lined up because I angle the van to get it further away from my workbench.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:47 PM   #12
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Seabeck, WA
Posts: 13
Default mirror clearance

I have more than a couple of inches clearance with my ten foot doors.
SeabeckStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:08 PM   #13
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 371
Default

When we built our home twenty-five years ago we built a three car garage. One door is a standard garage double door and the third has a nine foot door. Back then, Class Bs were mostly under nine feet tall. Our 1996 Roadtrek fit perfectly in that garage. In 2007 we bought our 210P Roadtrek and it fits, but is a tight fit which has been fine. The garage area is attached and integral to the house and the RT portion is walled off from the double garage area. The RT rests out there and there is a HVAC outlet in the ceiling which is adequate to keep the temps and humidity in a comfortable range. Our fifteen year old RT has never suffered a lot of the common ills of older units because it has been protected from the sun, heat, cold and humidity. Thus, it is essentially like a rig that is two or three years old.

Our mistake has turned out to be that the nine foot door should have been a ten foot door, but that would have required a complete refiguration of the design of that part of our home due to the roof line design.

The moral to the story: now, mostly only an older RT will fit in the garage.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:17 PM   #14
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 10,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
When we built our home twenty-five years ago we built a three car garage. One door is a standard garage double door and the third has a nine foot door. Back then, Class Bs were mostly under nine feet tall. Our 1996 Roadtrek fit perfectly in that garage. In 2007 we bought our 210P Roadtrek and it fits, but is a tight fit which has been fine. The garage area is attached and integral to the house and the RT portion is walled off from the double garage area. The RT rests out there and there is a HVAC outlet in the ceiling which is adequate to keep the temps and humidity in a comfortable range. Our fifteen year old RT has never suffered a lot of the common ills of older units because it has been protected from the sun, heat, cold and humidity. Thus, it is essentially like a rig that is two or three years old.

Our mistake has turned out to be that the nine foot door should have been a ten foot door, but that would have required a complete refiguration of the design of that part of our home due to the roof line design.

The moral to the story: now, mostly only an older RT will fit in the garage.

Sounds similar to what our situation is. I built our garage 29 years ago with two doors eight feet high and 9' wide and a 10' high ceiling. In 2006 I cut out and reheadered the doors to as high as possible at 9'3" in anticipation of getting a Roadtrek Chevy 190P. It fits well, but tight on the doors getting in backwards the way it has to go due to the driveway curve. If I did it again it would be 10'X10' doors with a 12' ceiling.
__________________

booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×