Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2022, 05:30 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Compressor fridge coil cooling fan --add more?

Norcold DE0788B, 3.1 cu ft. It has one small fan to cool the coils. Fan is an 80 x 80 x 25 Jamicon JF0825S2H-BR, 24 volt, 0.15a. Spec's rate this as 38.7 CFM, 3000 rpm @ 24v. Voltage at fan was 16.4v and the best reading I could get was about 2200 rpm. My best guess it is putting out about 25-26 CFM.

This fridge works well for us up to about 85°f above that... I rigged up a (poorly implemented) extra fan (125 CFM) to help circulate air behind the unit. This really helped fridge when it was 95-105°. I could just continue with this setup... But then what fun would that be? Questions...

1) Would there be any advantage to installing a second fan or a fan with more CFM that would just work in conjunction with the existing fan? Would having more air moving help the fridge cool even under moderate temps?

2) It seems that some folks get fancy and add more fans that are switched on with a temp sensor of some kind. Can you suggest the simplest hardware to do this? No bluetooth or computers.

Thanks. KenA
fridge fan.jpg
Ken Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Allan View Post
1) Would there be any advantage to installing a second fan or a fan with more CFM that would just work in conjunction with the existing fan? Would having more air moving help the fridge cool even under moderate temps?
IMO, your goal should be not to move the hot air behind your fridge around, but rather to get it out of there. My recommendation is to seal up that area as best you can, except for a chimney formed by an intake vent down low and an exhaust event up high. On the exhaust vent, install a computer fan or two, so you are not reliant on convection. This will make a big difference.
Quote:
2) It seems that some folks get fancy and add more fans that are switched on with a temp sensor of some kind. Can you suggest the simplest hardware to do this? No bluetooth or computers.
Go to Amazon and do the following search:
"pwm pc fan control module"
Sort the results by "price low-to-high". You will get a list of many inexpensive Chinese modules that will do the trick. The price range you are looking for is $3-15. Install it behind the fridge. It will control the above-mentioned computer fans beautifully. They will be essentially silent except when really needed.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:45 PM   #3
Silver Member

Default Getting the hot air out

Actually, I guess, that was what I was doing with my 8" fan... The electric bay is next to the kitchen cabinet and fridge. There is a tunnel behind. I had the fan blowing down the tunnel and the electric box lid open an inch. Opening the drawer below the sink gave a path for air to exit. Maybe I just need to improve on my implementing of this?

I will investigate the fan control. May have more questions.

Thanks. KenA
Ken Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:52 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Allan View Post
The electric bay is next to the kitchen cabinet and fridge. There is a tunnel behind. I had the fan blowing down the tunnel and the electric box lid open an inch.
Thanks. KenA
Having a somewhat constrained space that promotes a bottom-to-top chimney effect is important.
Old 02-15-2022, 02:41 PM   #5
Platinum Member

You need to reverse the fan as hot air rises and cold air sinks. Exhaust the hot air to the outside using your fan. This is what all MH fridges do.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:53 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Good advice here...I added fans exhausting at the top of the space behind the fridge. Increased to 4 fans from the two shown. Runs on a thermostat switch attached to the cooling fins. Also added a manual bypass switch to run fans without the thermostat.

I also have an interior circulating fan.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...-fan-9589.html
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote