Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2020, 11:47 PM   #1
Site Team

Default Corona Virus

DW and I were just chatting about how attractive B-van touring is likely to become in light of the oncoming crisis. It is just about the only segment of the travel industry that will be essentially unaffected by the situation.

We are grateful to be part of the community and to be equipped and skilled in this mode of recreation.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:44 AM   #2
Platinum Member

It is interesting and frightening to read about some of the great pandemics in history. As I recall, in the flu pandemic of 1918, 50 million people died and about 20% of the population were infected. It was almost impossible to avoid as none of us can completely isolate ourselves from each other. I remember reading about all the children roaming the streets because both parents had died. Those fortunate enough not to be ill or to have lost loved ones were almost certainly impacted by the resulting economic crisis. I remember in my medical school classes being warned that it isn’t if but when it will happen again.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:31 AM   #3
Platinum Member

The safest travel would be ocean cruising in your own boat so spectrum is rather wide. Having onboard extended facilities would be better than one which requires often dumping or public bathroom showers.

Yesterday I read an article about CureVac raising my hopes in potentially quick development of a vaccine based on synthetized protein injections, not on disabled virus or virus derivatives. It could be ready in a few months and due to low risk testing could be accelerated. It is in Polish so use Google translator. Similar approach to this German company has one company in US - Moderna as far as I know both partially funded by Bill Gates foundation.

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n...to-have-a.html

https://businessinsider.com.pl/techn...hx0M01aHIPgq-I
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:58 AM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

" almost impossible to avoid as none of us can completely isolate ourselves from each other."

One just has to hide out 'long enough'.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:38 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Not sure. We're thinking of getting out in this next month. I figure that, on a short trip, the most contact I'd have would be gassing up. Could do that with food handlers gloves I suspect. But the rest would be relatively risk free. Recent information suggests that UV sunlight is helpful which makes my location in the desert perhaps more safe. But again, who knows. As jrobe says this could be bad. Little is known. Appears that the treatment is basically treat for other illnesses to increase the effectiveness of the immune system and perhaps respiratory aid. But there's no drug treatment as of yet. A bit frightening for those of us over 70. Hard to believe I'm THAT old. Stay safe.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #6

If you want to be safe from the virus while traveling, you still need to practice good hygiene. Don’t let others touch your credit card. Use rubber gloves while fueling. Shop early for groceries. Do not eat out. Practice social distancing, at least 6 feet. Avoid crowds. All of these practices are the same as being home.
Ok pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #7
Platinum Member

And if we, both age 67, are roaming, how far from home do we allow ourselves to to be if we become ill with this virus?

If we remain home and become ill, the nearest hospital to our house is 1.5 miles.

David
dmb496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #8
jon
Platinum Member

Our daughter's Seattle area school was closed for at least two weeks yesterday so I wanted to drive South to Arizona. Then the wife acting like the adult said that during a crisis we should stay close to home.....Then an out of state friend told us to stay up in Seattle and not spread COVID-19 germs to Arizona.
I guess we'll stay home and deal with toilet paper shortages.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Our health insurance allows us not to worry about being away from home. We've had several incidents on the road in our RV. My wife went to the emergency room in Petaluma, CA for diverticulosis and we stayed in the hospital parking lot overnight. I had a stroke hiking in Letchworth SP in upstate New York and had a 58 mile ambulance ride to Buffalo General Hospital. My wife had use of our van in the hospital parking lot for 4 days.

Being that I have diesel fuel and pump handles are extremely messy and smelly I already practice hygiene of using gloves to handle the pump.

I do wish restaurants would allow you to keep your credit card in your possession at all times like the practice in Europe by bringing the payment transaction card insert to your table. Most counter transactions are making that practice now. It's getting better. This virus may have the unintended consequences and accelerating this practice.

We are scheduled for gatherings at Advanced RV in Willoughby, OH for ARV Fest, a B-Rally in Virginia, another RV social in Ohio, the Indy Grand Prix and the 300,000 attendee Indy 500 in Indianapolis in May. So I will be exposed to crowds much of the time. No word yet if any of those will be cancelled.

One of my traveling joys is eating out across the country sampling regional fare, visiting craft brewery tap rooms and my hobby of pursuing pork tenderloin sandwiches. I would hate to give that up. As an example on our last trip I wrote up this:

Pursuing Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:54 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Our health insurance allows us not to worry about being away from home. We've had several incidents on the road in our RV. My wife went to the emergency room in Petaluma, CA for diverticulosis and we stayed in the hospital parking lot overnight. I had a stroke hiking in Letchworth SP in upstate New York and had a 58 mile ambulance ride to Buffalo General Hospital. My wife had use of our van in the hospital parking lot for 4 days.

Being that I have diesel fuel and pump handles are extremely messy and smelly I already practice hygiene of using gloves to handle the pump.

I do wish restaurants would allow you to keep your credit card in your possession at all times like the practice in Europe by bringing the payment transaction card insert to your table. Most counter transactions are making that practice now. It's getting better. This virus may have the unintended consequences and accelerating this practice.

We are scheduled for gatherings at Advanced RV in Willoughby, OH for ARV Fest, a B-Rally in Virginia, another RV social in Ohio, the Indy Grand Prix and the 300,000 attendee Indy 500 in Indianapolis in May. So I will be exposed to crowds much of the time. No word yet if any of those will be cancelled.

One of my traveling joys is eating out across the country sampling regional fare, visiting craft brewery tap rooms and my hobby of pursuing pork tenderloin sandwiches. I would hate to give that up. As an example on our last trip I wrote up this:

Mmmmmmmmmmm! Pork Sandwiches.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:07 AM   #11
Silver Member

We do the same for ribs but I read your FB and I'm ready. Have you put together a POI for the gps? If so, send us a link.
Mouth is watering, leaving in two weeks for AZ and NM, and a PTS.
Asphalt Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:42 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, brew pubs. And beef brisket.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:07 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Be aware that New Mexico has closed its Parks for overnight parking. Check ahead for the situation on your path.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:41 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Mumkin, you just saved up a lot of headache. We are headed through NM in the next few days.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Be aware that New Mexico has closed its Parks for overnight parking. Check ahead for the situation on your path.
And you'd think the parks would be the last thing they'd close. Geesh!
Old 03-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #16
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
And you'd think the parks would be the last thing they'd close. Geesh!
Maybe not, recall Joshua Tree National Park?
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I found the NM decision rather odd. The parks are open to day visitors, so this would still be exposing any onsite staff. I could understand only allowing overnight camping by RVs with all facilities, thus allowing them to lock up all of their facilities that are normally staffed or used by primitive campers.

Canadians down here in AZ, who usually leave end of this month, are getting nervous and wondering if they need to start home now. I will still wait till mid-May as usual.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Maybe not, recall Joshua Tree National Park?
But they never actually closed it, and it was for a different reason. What they might have in common, however, is reduced or non-existent park staff.

The last time, there were horror stories of campers trashing and damaging our parks along with predictions it would take decades to reverse the damage. Yes, there are bad people who camp in our parks, but the vast majority are dedicated to preserving them for our enjoyment and for generations to come. For that reason, I never believed the dire predictions and I never saw those claims substantiated.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:41 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Texas state parks remain open for campers but they said they would waive cancellation fees in March if you decide to cancel.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:00 AM   #20
jon
Platinum Member

Now that Seattle has closed schools for six weeks we want to get out before we get quarantined in. We were thinking to visit Tahoe, Death Valley, or Joshua Tree. Wherever is closest that's warm.
Actually it would be easier to self quarantine on the road. Pump gas with gloves and wear a mask.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote