Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2023, 03:54 PM   #21
Platinum Member

From a reluctant Poster* & Observer.

1. I trust Booster, he has no Skin in the Game but his reputation which he puts on the line everytime he thoughtfully, deliberately & carefully answers questions all day, everyday for many years that I have been a member. The answers are intelligent, well researched & from a position of great understanding.

And Yes, Booster sometimes upsets some people by being Short & Strident in his answers after arriving at everything the long way so we don't have to.

I know that I have been the recipient many times of such an approach from Booster & other, more learned & technically savvy posters like him.

But just to be sure before I posted this now, I checked in with the leading Engineers at three of the top Class B & C Manufacturers this am & they confirmed Booster's assessment.

2. I don't know if any answers are Comical anymore than they represent the different levels of technical know how in the group. But I do know, everyone is trying to help everyone else here.

3. For myself, driving around Los Angeles with a fully loaded van, 10 mpg is what I see & my last & only tune up was at 90,000 miles with these Irridium plugs in a 2005 Chevy 3500 Roadtrek.

*I stopped posting & observing about 2 years ago because there seemed to be some needless pettiness. This is my first post in years.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:45 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
For folks interested seeing instant gas mileage a ScanGauge is a good tool, easy hookup.
https://www.scangauge.com/products/p...scangauge-iii/
interesting device thanks George I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
Then the question is, should we worry much about fuel mileage when we buy a fuel inefficient van, load it down to the maximal GVWR and then buy it so we can travel long distances. For me the answer is no.
yes I admit these big unairodynanic
extremely heavey vans are gas hogs the ? is how much of a hog.
when fuel is constantly going up in prices (this is on purpose) trips will be minimized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
True, we will never see very good MPG in these vans no matter what we do. But in this case the OP is concerned there may be something wrong with his van. If so, it should be fixed.

FWIW my van comes in at about 1500 lbs under GVWR - fully loaded ready for the road! It's one of the reasons I love it. It's not overbuilt or overweight. It gets exactly what Ford says to expect.. 15.00 MPG.
exactly well stated.n147JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbourn3704 View Post
Here's something you may want to consider in your calculations too. If you are running a generator to power your coach A/C remember it uses fuel too. Our Onan 2800 uses 0.4 gallons per hour and as we normally cruise at 60 miles per hour that means 0.4 gallons NOT consumed by the drive engine for each 60 miles of the trip calculations. For instance 600 miles in 10 hours using 45 gallons =13.3 mpg, but deducting 4 gallons for generator use = 600/41 = 14.6 mpg.
good point however generator was'nt used. thanks blackbourne3704

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
Computing mileage on partial tank readings is inaccurate because fuel gauges are imprecise at any reading other than full and empty. They are non- linear in between because fuel tanks have irregular shapes.
yes agreeded thanks JohnyFry

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Roadtrek also says 50/80 and I will tell you why.

It is the recommended from Chevy for the base van before conversion. Just look at the original tire pressure plate from GM.

That recommendation is a best compromise for an unloaded cargo van up to a fully loaded cargo van so is not optimized for a narrow range of weights like we see in near fully loaded all the time class b vans.

If you read all the reviews of tires and pressures here and many other places for class b vans, I think you will find 60-65 in the front, 80 in the rear is by far the most common pressures that folks have found for the best handling/comfort balance.

We have run 50 psi in the past to compare and the handling was severely reduced IMO.

I also think it is pretty insulting to call people opinions comical.

By the way, GM recommends spark plug change at 100K miles. Why is OK to violate that, but not the tire pressure recommendations?
good advice as usale correct on the 100K mile for irideim spark plugs I think the NGK TR55 split fires are just as good as irideims thanks Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
From a reluctant Poster* & Observer.

1. I trust Booster, he has no Skin in the Game but his reputation which he puts on the line everytime he thoughtfully, deliberately & carefully answers questions all day, everyday for many years that I have been a member. The answers are intelligent, well researched & from a position of great understanding.
Yes, Booster is the man I consider him a internet friend very helpfull an informative not to mention how quick the man is to offer up advice.he doesn't have to offer advice he just doe's this voluntarily to help ppl exspecially newbs like me.

I think the only real acurate test is to physically run the van out of fuel. add a gallon run her dry again then check the reset trip meter.

next scheduled trip is 3rd week in Feb.leave w/ full tank will refill tank on arrival same 155 miles, unforchantly won't be refilling w/ exact same pump. will report back w/ results hoping the refill is less than 15 gallons.

problem is I can't compare the downhill trip 260' above sea level to uphill trip. however I can compare each trip like my 1st trip back where I somewhat calculated will be compared to 2nd trip back both uphill.

thanks Guys for advice an of course opinions.

edit: I'm removing the roof AC proballey after this next trip.
she'll be lighter & more airoedynanic so I'll take MPG where ever I can take it. weight reduction off the rear will help w/ trailor hitch tongue weight so she'll tow better correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirimar bch.jpg (225.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-16-2023, 04:49 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Even I, as the Technical Plebiscite of the Forum, do NOT recommend running your tank empty. Ever. And especially NOT deliberately. It can invite a whole cascade of mechanical issues, especially with older vehicles.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 01-16-2023, 05:39 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I do not believe that anyone on this forum appreciates arrogance or rudeness.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 05:44 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Even I, as the Technical Plebiscite of the Forum, do NOT recommend running your tank empty. Ever. And especially NOT deliberately. It can invite a whole cascade of mechanical issues, especially with older vehicles.
yeah mite not be a good idea to over heat the in tank fuel pump after all the fuel doe's cool it.thanks for heads up
Old 01-16-2023, 07:57 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Removing the A/C to improve MPG? Let us know how that goes. Maybe get rid of the fridge and toilet too
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:22 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBRAIN View Post
edit: I'm removing the roof AC proballey after this next trip.
she'll be lighter & more airoedynanic so I'll take MPG where ever I can take it.
Good idea, though most buyers will see that as a "downgrade", even though it isn't.

Or current van has no rooftop A/C. Came from the factory that way. That was a huge selling point for us. I've had them on prior vans and they are noisy, heavy, power-hungry monsters. If you need to close up the vehicle and run the A/C, you need to find somewhere else to camp. We've got an extra opening skylight where the A/C would have gone. Lets in more sunlight and helps vent the cabin. Love it!
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:12 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Bad idea IMO. The weight will do zip for MPG. I wouldn't buy an RV without AC, Again, JMO and a skylight....LOL Venting...LOL Does the fantastic fan not do that job?
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:28 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
Does the fantastic fan not do that job?
No Fantastic Fan. Would never have one. Cheap plastic junk. Just another unneeded "accessory" to burn out and fail.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:56 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Good idea, though most buyers will see that as a "downgrade", even though it isn't.

Or current van has no rooftop A/C. Came from the factory that way. That was a huge selling point for us. I've had them on prior vans and they are noisy, heavy, power-hungry monsters. If you need to close up the vehicle and run the A/C, you need to find somewhere else to camp. We've got an extra opening skylight where the A/C would have gone. Lets in more sunlight and helps vent the cabin. Love it!
couple reasons why the AC has to go.
1.tried of wondering if it's gonna rain so get the lego elevation plates under front tires.just snugging the mount bolts didn't resolve the leak.

2.van won't be used much if any during hot summer.

3.one of my main parking spots the Home Owners Asoc. rules prohibits boats & RVs on property. w/out the AC it looks like a regular van which technically is also against there rules.

basicely I'm not a real RVer yet. I just happen to use a RV as a tow vehicle.
4. removing 85LB will proballey add some rear ground clearance maybe 1". may not need the air shocks I'm considering.
will weekend more on vessel than van.

5.frees up some cargo space on roof
6.airodynanics & weight reduction improves MPG is a added bonus but not the objective.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:34 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
No Fantastic Fan. Would never have one. Cheap plastic junk. Just another unneeded "accessory" to burn out and fail.
I love my Fantastic Fan & I have never ever had a problem but then again I have the simple Manual Version. Makes a huge difference for airflow
Old 01-17-2023, 03:15 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:

I don't think I have ever heard an RV'er criticize a Fantastic Fan. They have to be the greatest invention ever for a Class B RV. They move a ton of air, are quiet, reliable, take virtually no battery power and are relatively cheap. On a hot summer day with the van parked in the sun I can drop the temperature 20 degrees in a couple minutes with the fan on high and the rear windows open. I would gladly get rid of my AC but never the fantastic fan.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 03:55 PM   #33
Platinum Member

for the last quickie trip got caught in a major storm coming home which included downed trees power outages an all gas stations closed. on full tank rode 410 miles to yellow 1 gallon reserve light .mostly 2 lane blacktop averaging 74mph
so this is my most accurate fuel milage test 13.2MPG

mixture of 75% 2 lane black top an bumper to bumper city stop an go.

additional comment: 6 months ago my car insurance gieco tryed to extort me w/ a more than double my insurance this is there thanks after 9 years. ditched them for progressive where I enrolled in there spy on me program which is a GPS/ accelerometer device mainly spying on me slamming the brakes on. anyway I thought maybe I can drive extremely slow an get a disscount so I've been driving extra slow.
that spying device will be removed for next trip so MPG will probaly be reduced.
so is it tune up time? thanks
Old 06-20-2023, 08:30 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Wink

Quote:

I have two skylights in my short 144 Sprinter, one an operable marine hatch, a Maxxfan that I can keep open in rain and an air conditioner that is quiet (Houghton). If it gets extremely hot that you need an air conditioner than any amount of fan ventilation will not do the job, then simply go where there is shore power then you don't have to worry about power hungry and it solves your misery in being smart in finding somewhere else.

BTW, I do rarely use my air conditioning because I practice seasonal camping. I go for instance to Texas in the winter and am not down there now with a heat index of 120 degrees. However, the last time I did use my air conditioning was in an extremely humid climate where the air conditioning dried out our interior in 3 hours. You can't do that with any kind of ventilation.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 03:16 AM   #35

Totally agree that you don't have to do the calculation on the very next refuel. You can go as many refuels as you want, just as long as you keep track of the total mileage and amount of fuel put in each time. When you are ready to calculate the MPG accurately, completely top it off as in step 1 and divide the grand totals.
terry29865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 12:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
Removing the A/C to improve MPG? Let us know how that goes. Maybe get rid of the fridge and toilet too
Ha! That's a good one. Add a roof full of ladders and fill cabinets with tools and supplies and you are set for handyman jobs.
Pot of gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 06:01 PM   #37
Bronze Member

In all my years of driving, I've never once concerned myself with returning to the same pump and 100% topping off for MPG calculations. I keep detailed records on most of my vehicles (I quit with the Pontiac long ago, because the MPG numbers on a 489ci chevy big block with a lumpy cam would just make me cry anyways), and rarely see more than a couple tenths MPG difference on fill-ups that I can't easily explain the reasoning for, such as towing something heavy for the last 500 miles or a lot of time pulling grades in the mountains.

With the way the auto shutoffs work, you're only going to see a few ounces difference worth of a fill between pumps anyways. If one is really concerned about it, let it fill until it clicks off, and let it sit for a few seconds to settle, then fill slow until the second click.
Detroit80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:23 AM   #38

That is right,I also totally agree that you don't have to do the calculation on the very next refuel. You can go as many refuels as you want, just as long as you keep track of the total mileage and amount of fuel put in each time.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:35 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry29865 View Post
That is right,I also totally agree that you don't have to do the calculation on the very next refuel. You can go as many refuels as you want, just as long as you keep track of the total mileage and amount of fuel put in each time.
Totally agree if you are not interested in specifics. I, on the other hand, am detail oriented and keep track of city miles, highway miles and generator use to breakdown the gas mileage into the three categories. Doing that helps me plan better for trips.
Pot of gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 06:36 AM   #40

Can't agree more, Booster sometimes upsets some people by being Short & Strident in his answers after arriving at everything the long way so we don't have to.