Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2023, 02:18 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Dodge RT side window screen

I would like to put a screen into the side door windows on my 1999 Dodge Roadtrek. MobilifeRV in Canada actually has them in stock, but they are expensive and ordering from Canada is complicated. Does anyone have any advice on how I might make one myself?

There is a picture of the screen here:

https://www.mobiliferv.ca/rv-parts/r...w-hm-977/6874/
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 03:59 PM   #2
Gold Member

You might try Pelland, don't know if they have what you want but they do have lots of screen parts and maybe you can fab your own. https://www.pellandent.com/
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 10:41 AM   #3
Silver Member

It looks like those screens are made to fit the Chevy vans since it says 2002 and newer.

We have some screens called Skeeter Beaters - they use magnets to stick to the outside of the window for the front driver and passenger windows - we have used them over the other windows also.
pasusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 02:29 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks for the responses and suggestions! It looks like my best bet is to cut a screen to fit and hold it in place with magnets -- the inside frame all around the window is metal.
Old 07-10-2023, 03:02 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I have the screen that you showed in you post/link, it came with the Van.
IMHO they do not fit well enough to spend $25, dollars on ,never mind $200 +
We also have Skeeter Beaters that are made for the front windows (Chevy 3500)....both sides. there a little bit of a (PITB ) pain.... but for us ,worth using if we are parked for more than a over-night. like the other folks that posted about Skeeter Beaters we have used them on other windows (back door) and they work in a pinch.
I hope the above helps , and is not too confusing,
michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 03:43 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I wonder how they made the side window screens for the door + sink window in my 97 PW. I doubt that it was a custom mold for the aliminum channel that frames the screen. Has anyone ever tried using a normal (thin) aluminum window screen channel and bending it with a tubing bender?
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 04:27 AM   #7
Platinum Member

In reflecting on this my idea seems too complicated. Normal window screen frames are too wide to be easily bent. You'd have to use something like an aluminum U-channel whose opening was that of a screen spline. Probably build some sort of jig to bend the U-channel around.

Doable but the magnet idea seems much simpler. Anyone have a source link for magnets?
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 02:57 PM   #8
Platinum Member

If you don't want to buy from Skeeter Beaters. I've used eBay for screen and fishing magnets. Just make sure the eBay person has at least 100 sales + 99% pos. feedback.
I always pay through PayPal. Amazon also has magnets,I have just gottem beter prices on eBay .,
Good luck.
m
Old 07-12-2023, 11:24 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
In reflecting on this my idea seems too complicated. Normal window screen frames are too wide to be easily bent. You'd have to use something like an aluminum U-channel whose opening was that of a screen spline. Probably build some sort of jig to bend the U-channel around.

Doable but the magnet idea seems much simpler. Anyone have a source link for magnets?
I am thinking that rectangular magnets like the following might seal better all around than round magnets would, but that would depend on the shape of the inside of the window.

https://www.amazon.com/BAVITE-Neodym...dp/B09FSWVQH1/
Old 07-12-2023, 01:17 PM   #10
Platinum Member

The round ones on the Skeeter Beaters seem to work all right, they are not perfect nore do they SEAL perfectly . They have spaces in between the magnet that could allow bugs in,but we have never had that problem BUT we do not use them at critical time of the day/night. With out having continuous magnets you will not have a seal like you would in a at home screen. Your windows and your van have contours to deal with which makes a perfect sean difficult.
m