Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2023, 01:32 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Travato 59K TV and Microwave Removal

The microwave in our 2017 Travato 59K died the day before we left on a 6 week trip last summer, so we used it as a breadbox for the trip. This spring, we decided to remove the microwave and convert the area to real storage. I don't have the ability or tools to do that type of work, so we asked the contractor who recently did work on our house if he wanted to try "RV renovations". While he was here, we had the TV and DVD player removed, as we never use them.

The end results was a storage drawer 19.5" wide x 18.5" deep and 13.5" high (although the drawer sides are only 10" high). It's easy to access, since it's a regular drawer, and from the photos you can see there is a handle and a latch to keep it shut. It's a great location for anything that does not need to be refrigerated. We tried to match the RV wood as close as possible, but we didn't spend a lot of time on this. The contractor had to spend a fair amount of time building the support structure for the drawer, and the drawer itself, so for us it would have been cheaper to just replace the microwave. But we are really happy with the way it turned out.

You can also see that the TV has been removed, and we added a door to the open storage area that was above the TV. The DVD/radio was removed, and all the wiring for the entertainment system was tucked into the resulting empty space, and we just put a cover over it. The antenna, etc., are still on the camper, so I suppose someone could add the TV back in if they wanted to. In place of the TV, we now have 2 hat hooks.

Howard
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5901 (1).jpeg (411.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5813 (1).jpeg (229.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5812 (1).jpeg (476.5 KB, 13 views)
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 08:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Awesome! I just did the same in mine, removed the microwave, that is, since there was no TV to remove. Turned it into a nice, large, overhead storage compartment by lining the back with some vinyl stick tiles, and adding a slow-closing door, made from plywood and covered with a very similar looking glossy vinyl wallpaper.