Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2023, 06:11 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Questions about tires and bearings

Hello,
I've got a couple of questions in regards to tires and bearings on my 2004 PW Excel TS on a 2003 Ford E350 chassis.

Question 1. I bought the tires in September 2019. Date codes on tires indicate early 2019 (weeks 8 & 11). The tires are Michelin Agilis Cross Climate. I check the tire pressures (cold) in the morning prior to any driving - 55psi front, 80psi rear (per PW specs). Tire covers are on when parked at home.

When we're not on a trip, I drive the RV every 7 - 10 days for about 45 minutes at 55 to 60mph; even during the winter. There have been times where that has been stretched to 14 days, but those are not common.

I know to replace them around five to six years of age, but my question is am I buying them a little more time by driving on them regularly? Not going to be a cheapskate - when the time comes I will replace them regardless of how good they look.

Question 2. I take the hubcaps off and check the hub temperature with a temperature gun every once in a while. I've noticed a few times that the right rear hub runs about five to six degrees (Fahrenheit) warmer than the left hub. The front hubs run within one degree of each other. Today was a good day to check because my drive this morning was East to West, then back east to home, so the sun wasn't "hitting" the right side more than the left (as far as I could tell). Right rear hub was 111 and the left was 105.

Is this within reason?

Sorry for the long winded explanation, and thanks for any advice and suggestions.
graywolfkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 08:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Owned 3 RVs with single rear tire and freshwater tank located over rear passenger tire. The water tank puts more weight on the passenger rear tire than on driver rear tire. Water weights 8.3# per gallon and is harder on the wheel bearing (ask me how I know). Not sure where your freshwater tank is located but heavier weight will affect bearing temps.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 08:32 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
Owned 3 RVs with single rear tire and freshwater tank located over rear passenger tire. The water tank puts more weight on the passenger rear tire than on driver rear tire. Water weights 8.3# per gallon and is harder on the wheel bearing (ask me how I know). Not sure where your freshwater tank is located but heavier weight will affect bearing temps.
No water in the tank, and both the black and gray tanks are empty. I'll probably go to a CAT scale and get the RV weighed to see if that shows the right rear being heavier than the left. Thanks for the reply.
graywolfkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 05:59 PM   #4
Bronze Member

No need to replace tires at 5-6 years of age. They can easily go 7-10 years if kept covered
while stored.
Mike Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 01:36 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Here is what happened to my RV tires that were 6 years old and kept covered 90% of the time. Tread hardened and separated at 60 mph but did not go flat thank goodness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right Rear.jpg (259.6 KB, 4 views)
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 08:10 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
Here is what happened to my RV tires that were 6 years old and kept covered 90% of the time. Tread hardened and separated at 60 mph but did not go flat thank goodness.
I lost tread similar to yours on Michelin tires that were low mileage and age. Mine stored covered as well. Suspect tire defect or degeneration due to AZ heat. Replaced all when this happened.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 10:11 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I am anal about tires, I keep pressure monitored with TPMS, exercise tires regularly. Recently replaced a set of low mile tires at 7 years, only because I was selling the RV. Would have used for another year or 2 unless they showed signs of deterioration. Not using tires is the worse thing you can do to them.

Tires of unknown history, 3 years and they are gone.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote