Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2023, 12:10 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Dometic fridge shutting off while driving

We have a 2011 Roadtrek SS Agile. We've noticed pretty consistently over the years that the fridge will shut off while we are driving with the fridge in battery mode. We thought that maybe we were banging the switch with the bathroom doors. Not the case. We have newer batteries and the electrical system and fridge otherwise functions perfectly. Any similar experiences, diagnosis' and or fixes?
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 02:53 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I would start by checking, tightening, soldering all connections to and from the DC heating element. The heating element could also be intermittent. Same with the main DC connection to the refrigerator. They have been known to self destruct (melt).
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 02:58 AM   #3
Bronze Member

That makes sense. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2023, 03:01 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Yes hbn7hj makes sense. Find a manual for your model and look for Dometic service manuals. One of these should list the resistance measure for a properly working 12v element. You can test that and see if yours is shot. If not, trace back as he suggests. What is your Dometic model fridge?
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 03:05 AM   #5
Bronze Member

I don't have the model handy, but it only happens while driving, never when parked, so I think a loose connection aggravated by road rattling makes sense.
Old 07-15-2023, 03:22 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Yes. That's possible. Alot depends on the model. Could be something else. I also have problems with the 12v mode sometimes working sometimes not. I think it might be in the switch contacts. Here are some files that may help depending on your model.

Dometic RM2310+others Service.pdf

Dometic-Service-AES.pdf
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 03:31 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Thanks! I will chexck that out.
Old 07-15-2023, 03:37 AM   #8
Platinum Member

The bet is the problem is internal to the fridge. Intermittent DC power would reset the circuit board and turn the DC heater off. Does the service light come on when the cooling goes off? If so it may be within the control board.
Old 07-16-2023, 06:55 PM   #9
Platinum Member

When I was going over the electrics on the RM2554 in my 08C201P I found that the main DC connections were flaky. They used the Euro Style nylon block connector strips which tighten with a small straight blade screwdriver. These can come loose and oxidize the copper wire because of arcing and overheating. If you are using the DC mode these connections need to be bombproof! Any resistance at all will severely reduce the output of the DC heating rod.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 07:51 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
When I was going over the electrics on the RM2554 in my 08C201P I found that the main DC connections were flaky. They used the Euro Style nylon block connector strips which tighten with a small straight blade screwdriver. These can come loose and oxidize the copper wire because of arcing and overheating. If you are using the DC mode these connections need to be bombproof! Any resistance at all will severely reduce the output of the DC heating rod.
Yep, mine melted. I suspect that is where the problem is.