Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2023, 11:54 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Most young people consider Class Bs impractical because they live in places where parking them is a problem, can't afford or want a vehicle that isn't an every day vehicle, raising a family is impractical in a Class B mainly because of limited size, most of their vacations are getting some place, not touring, and most all work with limited vacation time to have the luxury of most any RV other than a trailer which is way more inexpensive and versatile for what you get to bed a family. Most all trailers, 5th wheelers, Class Cs and As have black tank toilets not cassettes. A 5 gallon cassette wouldn't have the practical capacity for a family of say four. I think it is a pipe dream to think Americans are going to follow Europe in that regard. They haven't done so in the past. Americans are in love with their pickup trucks. A trailer would be the first choice.
In the U.S. I think it varies with the region of the country. In the East, yes, travel trailers are huge, but when you get to the West, you see a much higher diversity in RV's, plus a lot more rentals. I saw a lot of young people in mini-van size RV's (I hesitate to call them Class Bs they are so tiny). I also saw plenty of small vans like Promaster City, Ford Transit Connect, Nissan NV200s and MB Metris. Many of these campers have no toilet at all, or a porta-potty or a WAG bag. For a lot of people, a cassette is a huge step up. Because most are rented, the problems of parking, affordability and using it as an every day vehicle don't apply. From what I saw at campgrounds, "young people" and "people raising a family" do not overlap that much. Many seemed to be just traveling with friends, or just as a couple. Many people, young or old, are not so fussy about campground toilets. Remember a lot of families camp in tents or pop-up campers and seem pretty happy using campground facilities.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote