Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Today I finished up the bed for the van.

It used to be a L-Couch that you would put the table top down and assemble the 4" foam cushions like a puzzle. My wife and I really wanted a full-time bed with a real mattress.

So last week, I removed all the bits and pieces of wood and table-top and replaced it with about half a sheet of plywood (the back half was already one piece). I then added a Froli "Star" system. Not only will it be more comfortable but it will also prevent moisture build-up.

I had to add a piece of oak in the front to add strength to the plywood and also hide the Froli "springs".

I then picked up a full-size Matrand mattress from IKEA. It's a memory foam that they describe as firm. The cool thing is that it comes rolled up in a bag so it's really easy to bring it inside the van and just open it up.

Et voilą!

Of course I tried it and it's super comfy... But I'll give you an update after our 3 week vacation in august.
Mat Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #22
Platinum Member

3 questions....

1. which of the 3 Froli star systems did you use?
2. does anything fit between the Froli system and your mattress?
3. what size mattress did you get?... does it fit the available space perfectly? ... got am Ikea part number?
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:12 PM   #23
Platinum Member

That is very cool!

Looks like you used 96 squares. Since the basic Star package comes with 60, did you buy two packages or were you able to configure your order to specifically give you what you wanted?
Phoebe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:35 PM   #24
BBQ
Platinum Member

Looking good.

Looks comfy too.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklugie View Post
3 questions....

1. which of the 3 Froli star systems did you use?
2. does anything fit between the Froli system and your mattress?
3. what size mattress did you get?... does it fit the available space perfectly? ... got am Ikea part number?
Hi gklugie!

1 - Short answer is the Froli "Star" System - Double size.

The long answer is that my bed measures 52" wide by 80" long but it tapers down to 75" in the back (in other words, the back of the camper is narrower than the middle).

I wasn't sure how that would affect this system so I sent an e-mail simply stating the bed size and asking what was their recommendation. They answered back on the following work day (great service!) with the following:

"For the bed in your RV I would recommend our Froli Star system in the double size. As per the attached layout plan, you would lay out 8 rows of 12 elements each.

Using the Travel springs you would have to go to the queen size and space some rows narrow to get the best fit. I have also attached a layout plan.

Things to consider: The Travel will feel firmer than the Star, especially if you space the distance narrow vs. the medium spacing on the Star.

For a more cushioning, softer feel, we generally recommend the Star which also comes out better, price wise, for your bed size.

Star double = $319
Travel queen = $378
"

Here are the two layouts they sent me (which come from their instructions in the download section of their buyer's guide):

"Star" layout:

"Travel" layout:

2 - Nope. Nothing. You just lay the mattress on top of it. Not sure what you think should go there but it would most likely prevent it from working properly. On it's own 1 single spring feels "weak" but once you spread the load over all of them, as a group they're really "strong".

3 - I bought the "Matrand" full size Memory foam mattress, firm. Article Number : 302.723.96 (sorry... link is for the Canadian IKEA website)

The mattresse's size is 74 3/8 " long by 53 1/8 " wide by 7 1/8 " thick.

I was a little bit concerned by the width because my bed space is a little narrower at 52" wide. But really, since it's foam and compresses easily it fit right in without any issue. Going custom for a difference of 1-1/8" is not worth it at all! It's a little tight for making the bed but that's about it.

Length was fine at 80" long tapering down to 75" in the back.

Height was also a factor to consider because of the TV cabinet that is hangs fairly low over the bed where I sleep. I went from the 4" of the original foam cushions to a total of almost 9" (the 1-3/4" height of the Froli bed system plus the 7-1/8" of the mattress). It turns out this is fine because I never really "kick" when I sleeping and it's not an issue to climb in and out of the covers. But I would not have purchased one of the other IKEA foam mattresses which are 9-1/2" high.

(Just so you know, I had also considered the MATRAND Latex mattress, medium firm which is the same size but softer but I preferred the feel of the firmer Memory foam.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
That is very cool!

Looks like you used 96 squares. Since the basic Star package comes with 60, did you buy two packages or were you able to configure your order to specifically give you what you wanted?
Hi Phoebe!

I think I answered the question above, but just so you know, when you order the Froli "Star" system double size, you will get two boxes. The "Basic starter kit" in one box and another "expansion box" to make you reach the required 96 squares. (The detailed list of content for each size is at the bottom of this web page.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Looking good.

Looks comfy too.
Thanks BBQ!

It is comfy! Unfortunately, all my weekends are busy for another few weeks. I can't wait to really try it out!
Old 07-14-2017, 02:13 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Default Bumper progress pictures

Right before I jump into the bumper pictures I got from Jeremy, I'll close out the bed build with a final picture of it all made up with the obligatory Mexican blanket.

BTW, meet Alfie. He's small, compact, lightweight (12lbs.), doesn't eat much and loves hiking. He's the perfect dog for a small space! He might not be able to pull down a grizzly... but I bet you he would try!

And now the bumper preview pictures. Keep in mind these are progress pics so it's not completed. Also, it's not my van in the picture

I'm stoked! I love the way the bumper is curved on the sides. It will fit the body lines of the 1996-2003 perfectly!

I had to share! :wings:
Old 08-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
If you're interested in VIN lookups etc. then you'll like doing an RPO code lookup: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...oder-1748.html
So talking with Booster, I started wondering if I had a locking differential:

Here's what I found:

RPO Code Explanation/Description
AS5 EAT FRT BKT, DELUXE,
AU3 NTROL SIDE DR, ELEC
A31 POWER OPERATED, ALL DOORS
B31 COVERING FLOOR VINYL, FRT, FULL WIDTH
C60 HVAC SYSTEM AIR CONDITIONER FRT, MAN CONTROLS
D28 MIRROR O/S -- DELETE
E23 GVW RATING 9,500 LBS
FE9 CERTIFICATION EMISSION, FEDERAL
GT5 AXLE REAR 4.10 RATIO
JB8 BRAKE POWER, DISC/DRUM, 10,000 LBS
KC4 NG SYSTEM ENG OIL
KD1 NG SYSTEM TRANS, OIL
KW2 GENERATOR 124 AMP
K05 HEATER ENG BLOCK
L31 ENGINE GAS, 8 CYL, 5.7L, CPI
MT1 TRANSMISSION AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L80-E
NA4 ION SYSTEM GVW ABOVE 8,500 LB
NF2 EMISSION SYSTEM FEDERAL, TIER 1
NL1 FUEL TANK 132L, 35 GAL
R04 SINGLE RR
R6E OL SALES ITEM NO. 05
R7K OL SALES ITEM NO. 36
R7M OL SALES ITEM NO. 38
UL0 RADIO AM/FM STEREO, SEEK/SCAN, AUTO REV MUSIC SEARCH CASS, AUTO TONE, CLOCK, ETR
UP8 RADIO PROVISIONS, AM/FM STEREO, INSTRUMENTATION
U75 ANTENNA POWER, RADIO
VK3 LICENSE PLATE FRONT FRT MOUNTING PKG
VXT LE INCOMPLETE
V10 SION OPTIONS COLD WEATHER
V14 R OIL, TRANSMISSION, AUX
V22 GRILLE RADIATOR, CHROME
V46 BUMPER FRT CHROME
V73 VEHICLE STATEMENT USA/CANADA
WEN PLANT CODE WENTZVILLE, MO, USA
XHH TIRE FRONT LT245/75R16/E BW R/PE ST TL ALS 120Q
X88 MARKET BRAND CHEVROLET
YD3 (BASE EQUIP) FOR SCHEDULING GVW PLATE
YD5 G FRONT BASE EQUIPMENT
YD6 G RR, BASE EQUIPMENT
YHH TIRE REAR LT245/75R16/E BW R/PE ST TL ALS 120Q
ZHH TIRE SPARE LT245/75R16/E BW R/PE ST TL ALS 120Q
ZQ2 PACKAGE DRIVER CONVENIENCE
ZR7 APPEARANCE PACKAGE GRILLE & BUMPER CHROME
ZW9 BODY EQUIPMENT BASE BODY OR CHASSIS
ZX2 SEATING ARRANGEMENT DRIVER & PASS, HIGH BACK
Z31 IFICATION PRICE SHEET ADVANCE
Z49 EXPORT CANADIAN MODIF MANDATORY BASE EQUIP
1SA PACKAGE OPTION 01
13G TRIM COMBINATION CLOTH, LT GRAY (G) (96)
13I INTERIOR TRIM LT GRAY (I) (03)
13I INTERIOR TRIM LT SMOKE GRAY (94)
13I INTERIOR TRIM MEDICI RED (97)
13I INTERIOR TRIM VERY DK PEWTER/LT GRAY (I)
50U PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, PROCYON GRAY PEARL (BRAZIL) (03)
50U PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, OLYMPIC WHITE (02)
50U PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, STONE BEIGE MET (02)
50U PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, PEARLCOLOR RED MICA (02)
50U PRIMARY COLOR EXTERIOR, LIGHT SERENGHETTI (02) (HOLDENS)
6XA COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (6XA)
7XA COMPONENT FRT RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (7XA)

Nope...
Old 08-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Default Radio upgrade

The driver side speaker was making a really annoying rattle which was completely unacceptable for roadtrips. So I took the van to the stereo shop:

No wonder I was hearing a rattle! The tweeter on the driver's side was loose and the one on the left was missing! So new speakers went in.

I also had the shop added sound deadening mat to the doors (sorry, no pic, they closed it up too quickly)

Now, with good speakers I can listen to my music. But there's one problem. A couple of years ago, before dowsizing to a condo, I put all my CDs on a hard disk and on my phone. But I can't listen to them anymore without a form of AUX or bluetooth and this old radio has none of those. I thought about installing a Scosche FM Modulator for stealth purposes since I plan on going to South America but the installation cost vs. a new radio wasn't worth it.

With the new radio I get better sound, a detachable face plate (safety factor), a remote for the back and bluetooth. Plus I get to put all my songs on a small USB key with room to spare! All that for less than $140!

Before and after:

USB key before getting loaded!

I also had them install a very mechanical kill swith in the dash. It simply cuts the power to the starter. Simple and effective. I didn't want any fancy electronics in there!

Finally, they installed LLumar security film in the front windows. Since it's transparent, there's no point taking a picture... But I'm sure you'll enjoy this video of the product.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #29
Platinum Member

If you are worried about security like window breaking, you may also want to consider putting in Jimmy Jammers, which prevent jimmying and also prevent lock punchout, which on a Chevy is as easy as breaking the window, but makes less of a scene.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #30
Site Team

Boy, those older Roadtreks look sweet.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If you are worried about security like window breaking, you may also want to consider putting in Jimmy Jammers, which prevent jimmying and also prevent lock punchout, which on a Chevy is as easy as breaking the window, but make less of scene.
Great comment Booster! I had a guy try to steal my Safari a long time ago in a Wal-Mart parking lot using that exact method. I even caught him in the act! Thankfully I had a kill swith on that one too (more electronic but it worked)!

Looking back, I should've punched his lights out but I was a good boy and went to see a security guard... what a waste of time. He did nothing and I had to explain to him for 2 minutes. Lesson learned!

But yes, adding Jimmy Jammers to the super long list!
Old 08-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Default AC drip tray repair

Remember this:

I repaired it at my friends because of my lack of tools. I even ended up dropping it before and the top right little pieces fell off. There was also a bunch of holes that we don't see in this pictures for holding it up in place (no the smartest thing when it will potentially fill up with water).

I first removed all that black tar like substance and the white roof repair material (per my Dad's theory). I used a 90 degree air grinder with green Scotchbright roloc discs.

Once everything was back to plastic I made a mold out of Styrofoam. This would support the fiberglass as I build on it. I placed some aluminum paper over the Styrofoam so the resin wouldn't make it melt. Then I slowly started building up the edge with resin and fiberglass strandings. I also plugged the holes and the space for cord on the original Fedder unit. I have to admit it was pretty ugly once I was done! (Sorry... I forgot to take a picture. )

But, using the air grinder with roloc sanding discs, I sanded it to the correct shape:

To hold it in place, I added two pieces wood of 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" on each side:

I then rivetted two angle Irons of about 1-1/2" on each side. This would allow me to attach the drip tray to each side (see second picture).

Now... Is there supposed to be holes or not?!? I thought no, but after sleeping in it one night and hearing water slosh around each time the AC started up, I think so. I just made sure to make the holes total diameter smaller than the tube that goes in the back of the tray. So I put 3 holes of 1/8" on the ends and in the middle.

Hopefully my hunch is correct. I can always plug them later on if I'm wrong.

I also added AC foam filter inside the tray to prevent water from sloshing around when accelerating or braking.

I then covered the back half edges (the wide ones) with plenty of GE Silicone II caulking. I pushed the drip tray up in place and screwed the angles in place on the sides (sorry no pic as I was working alone and didn't want the caulk to dry up before everything was firmly set in place).

For the front, I decided to make an extra piece of wood to hold it up. I made it ahead of time out of oak. There was a gap of about 3/8" that I decided to fill in with foam that came with the A/C. So I glued pieces on the tray and on the piece of wood. Once screwed in place it was better than the odd piece of trim aluminum and plywood that was there before:

Next I hooked up the tube that evacuates the water to the back of the drip tray.

Finally, I changed the piece of wood covering the drip tray with a piece of 1/4" that my Dad had lying around. He varnished it and, since I expect to have to clean up the drain tube every other year, screwed it on with finishing washers. I might change to screw caps and covers later on.

On the front, I will simply place a piece of the 1/4" sheet of wood held on with velcro. Not very elegant but I won't be drilling into drip tray or plastic AC cover:

Ok, so the wood isn't the exact same color and all the visible screws leave to be desired... But everything is solid and working now. I'll spend some time next autumn getting everything pretty.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Default Dome light bulb replacement... YAY LEDs!!!

I ordered some LED light bulbs from Amazon: LINK

A pack of 12 for less than 25$CAD... you can't go wrong. I took them in Warm White with 27 led's per bulb. Here's the results where LED on the left and regular incandescent bulbs on the right:

Not sure why the color looks so off in the picture but it's fairly close. A little brighter but not uncomfortable. Once all of them are in and we start using them we won't see the difference.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Don't buy those LEDs! They started smoking when I hooked up to shore power!

Other than that, a great start to our trip!

Cabot Trail:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2017, 06:42 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Wow... It's been a while since I haven't posted!

Our trip to Newfoundland was awesome: video.

Here's my favorite picture of our whole trip:

And of course in front of St-John's colorful houses:

This trip was done with the objective of testing the van and making sure our list of modifications was valid. We were pretty much spot on since this is our 4th van and we know our camping style. The major thing I learned is my wife is nervous about fresh water so I will definately need a water treatment/filtration system. I'll work on that next summer.

Fast forward to December 22nd, I finally received my parts from Weldtec designs:

So you can see on there the wheels, leaf springs, bumper, fox shocks, etc...

Here's a cool shot of the wheels:

And the suspension components:

The van will be built during the winter time at a local company called Halrai industries. They're specialized in industrial/commercial truck outfitting. They seem to do excellent work from what I've seen and they are were very professionnal with the quote process. Even though they won't be taking care of the suspension, they will be working on the roof rack, rear bumper, installation, line-x on the rocker panels, etc. Keep following...

I'm really looking forward to some real progress!
Old 12-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Looking good!
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #37
Platinum Member

I really enjoyed your video of your trip to Newfoundland, brought back some great memories, one of my favourite places to visit. truly amazing in a campervan. looking forward to seeing your van with the new wheels and bumper, please post more pics when you get a chance, I am allways learning something new here,,, thanks again,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:15 PM   #38
Platinum Member

A little bit of progress:

Roof rack drawings are complete. I'm really happy with my choice of fabricator. He was very patient and let me go through 6 revisions to get it right. We did 6 revisions simply because we realized that fitting all I wanted on the roof (2 solar panels, surfboard and/or kayak, roadshower) was not an easy task.

So we went from this:

To this:

(sorry for the half english / half french descriptions)

You can see that it will only go on the back part of the raised roof (behind the three Roadtrek skylights). The two solar panels on the passenger side, the removable window screen (for theft protection during long term parking), the road shower at the back, grip span to walk across and the space for kayaks/surf boards on the driver side. I also realized the front part would be useless. I have plenty of storage underneath the bed and if ever I need to add more storage I'll just strap a box to the grip span or something.

I also found a local garage that is willing to install the Weldtec suspension lift. It should be done at the beginning of March. The garage is super enthusiastic about the project. They used to do Rock Crawlers and silly things like that but have recently moved to building overlanding rigs. They will even let me participate in the build just to get quick input during the inspection process and also to make sure I am familiar with the way this van is built.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Default Roof rack progress pics ('99 Roadtrek C210V)

Just some photos of progress. It's looking really awesome. And it's really fun to see my vision come to life.

Overview of the rack:

On the roof:

From the back:

Steps integrated in the back rack:

Also, the suspension installation was scheduled for Saturday but the garage did not receive the Detroit Locker and Roadmaster rear sway bar so we're pushing it back one week. No biggy... There's still snow here!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #40
Platinum Member

wow, that looks great, really nice to see it come to life, just wanted to ask how are you atatching it to the fibreglass roof ?,really looking forward to see the final look,,,good luck
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote