Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2022, 05:40 PM   #1

Default Hitch Rack/Bike Rack

Might as well dive in here, Just traded the Class A in for a Pleasure way Ontour 2022 and we love it! so much more can be done in it then the Class A, but for storage.
we are hoping that someone out here can give us some advice, on a Hitch Rack/Bike Rack combo that is RV approved, and will not cost a Fortune.
The wife is looking for a hitch rack with an enclosed storage bin with bike racks, is that possible without costing over a grand?
thank all in advance.

Andy & Robyn
The Flickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

consideration may be rear door opening- pretty cool if you are backed up to a beach

if you have the budget a Stowaway with the swing kit may satisfy storage wants & needs

and I have seen bikes mounted to the top of those carriers

weight, dynamic weight is a consideration, a recent post of what appears to be a failed class III hitch which had a bike rack on it.

for the budget conscious ( me) I use a harbor freight rack and have at times had a storage bin attached to it, and a large cooler ( with blow up kayak inside), I also have a motorcycle carrier which holds my trail 90. could carry bikes on it if wanted.

a rental camper we had in ireland has a bike carrier mounted on the rear door, the bikes hang with wheels to the door

look around weigh pros and cons.

my preference would be a carrier on the front ( if there is a hitch receiver made for your van) which frees up the rear

I think very deliberately PW has your van at 19' 8" this is good for ferry pricing as the cost often leaps at 20' and above and also for municipal parking regs which limit at 20'
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:20 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flickster View Post
Might as well dive in here, Just traded the Class A in for a Pleasure way Ontour 2022 and we love it! so much more can be done in it then the Class A, but for storage.
we are hoping that someone out here can give us some advice, on a Hitch Rack/Bike Rack combo that is RV approved, and will not cost a Fortune.
The wife is looking for a hitch rack with an enclosed storage bin with bike racks, is that possible without costing over a grand?
thank all in advance.

Andy & Robyn
You can join the FB PW forum. Post a question regarding storage boxes with bike racks. Some members have done this although I believe it was not cheap. Just make sure the hitch can handle the weight. If you have a Ford OEM, check to make sure the TW is at least 500lbs. If you have a Curt, make sure it is a class 4.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:13 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flickster View Post
thank all in advance.

Andy & Robyn
Hi Andy,

If a swing away solution is required, I do not know of anything that is over 250 pounds total.

I've only known of one swing away solution that was much higher, but not swung away from the van, again 250 pounds.

Please let us know your about your solution, progress.

Oh, the hitch failure mentioned earlier was on Promaster B's, not the Transit.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

One of the best features of our van are our Aluminess rear storage boxes with the bike racks above the boxes. I have no idea how we would manage without this extra secure and convenient storage space. They swing away nicely for use of the rear doors and the bike racks are up out of the road dirt from the rear tires.

I think you are going to find that you will get what you pay for. A really good solution is going to cost you some money. In an RV with very little storage space, this was a good place for us to spend money.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:32 PM   #6
Bronze Member

https://www.1up-usa.com

All metal, US made bike rack plus swing away adapter. Super happy with this setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0705 Edited.jpg (379.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-31-2022, 05:35 PM   #7
Silver Member

I am enjoying this! We have an Xplorer 1997 for 1 yr or so purchased at a great price Spouse is the biker; we thought of the tuff cargo thing and tried a Saris bones 111 but it did not work well and is now for sale Our van has a left side rear tire After extensive extensive research and effort getting specs, we just put on a hitch and got a thule T 2 pro for three bikes We have plenty of storage in the van and do not take extra stuff. My spouse has the hitch/bike lock that comes with it plus two extra bike locks One day after a ride return to the van found the lock on the other bike partly sawed through Unsuccessful but there are big losers out there so we are glad to have extra security.Bile racks are not cheap Righ now every thing costs toomuch but you get what you pay for
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote