Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2023, 01:33 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Hookups . . . how much hose do you need?

Rookie question for you--we have had our Class B for a year or so, but have not yet been to a RV park with full hookups. Since space is limited, I'm trying to minimize what we need to carry.

So my question is this: Based on your experience, how long of a sewer hose do I need to carry for most situations?
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 01:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMN View Post
Rookie question for you--we have had our Class B for a year or so, but have not yet been to a RV park with full hookups. Since space is limited, I'm trying to minimize what we need to carry.

So my question is this: Based on your experience, how long of a sewer hose do I need to carry for most situations?

Most dump stations we have run across allow you to get pretty close, so 8" probably be enough for most but not cover all of them.

That said, we have a Sani-con super flexible and stretchable hose for our macerator equipped Chevy Roadtrek that can reach upwards of 20' is streched tight. The advantage is that dump sites are very often quite wet, often puddles, around the dump area and the long hose allows us to be further from the dump. Of course you still have to walk through the wet to actually dump but makes it easier. If it is the typical square style with sloping to the drain in middle, it will generally be drier than pavement or dirt around the square.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 02:00 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks booster, that's great information. I am also thinking that at a full-hookup site I should be able to move the van around a little if needed to get closer to the sewer connection. I'm on the more typical 3" connection, but thinking of a portable macerator as an alternative.
Old 02-18-2023, 02:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member

You could probably buy any RV sewer hose and it would work. I haven't thought about the length since every hose I've had came with the RV and worked in all cases. You probably can go up to a few dumps and measure. My current macerator hose that expands probably is more than twice the length that I need.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 02:13 PM   #5
Platinum Member

^^^ Thanks! I am thinking start with 10ft and perhaps carry another 10ft just in case.
Old 02-18-2023, 03:22 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I believe that our 3" hose is 15' but I also have 2 10' from a time when I had to dump at home from driveway. 10' would work in all situations that I've encountered on the road at dumps and campsites that have their own sewer.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 06:17 PM   #7
Platinum Member

^^^ thanks, that's really helpful. The hose holder on my Class B is really short--about 29," so I can get some brands of 10ft hoses into the container but not others.

But I am leaning towards one of the 12v accessory macerators and a 3/4" garden hose, as this combination might be easier to store.
Old 02-18-2023, 09:45 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
But I am leaning towards one of the 12v accessory macerators and a 3/4" garden hose, as this combination might be easier to store.

simple is easy, gravity is your friend, and uses no energy

I think my dump hose is 10' I also have a 90º fitting at the dump end which very much simplifies dumping.

and gloves ... get a pack of gloves.

In campgrounds we are happy to dump & flush tanks on the way out rather than pay for a fully serviced space
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 04:22 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks booster, that's great information. I am also thinking that at a full-hookup site I should be able to move the van around a little if needed to get closer to the sewer connection. I'm on the more typical 3" connection, but thinking of a portable macerator as an alternative.
You don't need a macerator. I've never had an issue dumping and can tell you that sooner or later the macerator will fail. You never fully hook up the sewer, so no need to worry until you leave or need to dump. Being a Class B makes it nice and easy. Don't overthink it. Many will make RVing complex when it should be simple, so please be aware of the posters who want to over complicate every aspect of the simple Class B. My two cents and JMO
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 04:36 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
You don't need a macerator. I've never had an issue dumping and can tell you that sooner or later the macerator will fail. You never fully hook up the sewer, so no need to worry until you leave or need to dump. Being a Class B makes it nice and easy. Don't overthink it. Many will make RVing complex when it should be simple, so please be aware of the posters who want to over complicate every aspect of the simple Class B. My two cents and JMO

If he used a hose end macerator when needed if it failed he could just take it off and dump with the slinky. Not complicated.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:43 PM   #11
Site Team

The very LAST thing I would consider is an RV without a macerator. Even if you don't care about the convenience (and I don't know why you wouldn't), the fact is that a permanently-plumbed macerator system is vastly more sanitary than a gravity/slinky setup.

Don't confuse this with one of those "clip on" portable macerators that you need to attach every dump. They have little advantage and are a big hassle. But, there is nothing like one tiny cap in an otherwise completely sealed system. I don't know of anyone who has had a proper macerator setup who would go back. As for reliability, I have had "dual dump" setups on both of my past rigs. After 18 years, I have never had to use either of them.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 05:19 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
The very LAST thing I would consider is an RV without a macerator. Even if you don't care about the convenience (and I don't know why you wouldn't), the fact is that a permanently-plumbed macerator system is vastly more sanitary than a gravity/slinky setup.

Don't confuse this with one of those "clip on" portable macerators that you need to attach every dump. They have little advantage and are a big hassle. But, there is nothing like one tiny cap in an otherwise completely sealed system. I don't know of anyone who has had a proper macerator setup who would go back. As for reliability, I have had "dual dump" setups on both of my past rigs. After 18 years, I have never had to use either of them.
100% agreement. I would not own a van with a gravity setup and I'll happily accept the slightly (?) higher probability of a macerator problem.

I'm curious to know how many people who have personal experience with both macerator and gravity/slinky prefer the gravity/slinky process.
Old 02-23-2023, 05:37 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post

Us too on the dual dump. We have had ours since 2015 and have not used the gravity except to test it every couple of years to make sure the extra valve still works and the cover comes off OK.

People hate macerators if they do fail, and some people have had multiple failures which is really odd as very many have none. I have also never run into anyone who would go back to the slinky. Kind of like it is with compressor frigs also.
Old 02-23-2023, 05:53 PM   #14
Platinum Member

What are these "dual dump" systems. Never heard of them. I thought it was either gravity or macerator. Can you provide a link to one of these systems. Thanks
Old 02-23-2023, 06:13 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
What are these "dual dump" systems. Never heard of them. I thought it was either gravity or macerator. Can you provide a link to one of these systems. Thanks
https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...dump-3254.html
Old 02-23-2023, 06:20 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:

Here is ours, there are numerous others on this site also and several threads on the topic so a search for them probably would be good also.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...etup-3279.html
Old 02-23-2023, 06:29 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Here is ours, there are numerous others on this site also and several threads on the topic so a search for them probably would be good also.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...etup-3279.html
Looks like some custom plumbing? I wonder if any manufactures will install as optional/standard equipment. I have the reliable gravity system. At home, our sewer connection is higher than valve termination. So I made a macerator from a garbage disposal. Works great when I want spend time back flushing the tank.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:37 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Looks like some custom plumbing? I wonder if any manufactures will install as optional/standard equipment. I have the reliable gravity system. At home, our sewer connection is higher than valve termination. So I made a macerator from a garbage disposal. Works great when I want spend time back flushing the tank.

Roadtrek did put them on some Activs before the sale and bankruptcy, I don't know if they still do. Can't say I have heard of any others except on custom vans or retrofits.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:49 PM   #19
Platinum Member

OP, here . . . I bought a portable unit. Yes, this is a clip-on. I won't have a chance to try it for a while, but hookup for both the macerator and the rinse water are ultra easy. I even have a SAE 12v source on the same side. Really minimal hookup difference from the gravity option. I was also surprised how small the unit is.

Part of the problem for me is storage of a 3" gravity hose. This depends on make of the van as well as the actual model, of course. I can easily store an extra garden hose as well as an add-on macerator. And, like pointed out earlier, if I have a problem I do have a gravity backup.

Another use, even if I choose not to use it at the site, is that it will be perfect to empty the tank into our home septic system.

Again, thanks for the replies. This site a great source of information!!

EDIT: PS, when we were shopping, we were really taken with the rear-bath floor plan. This limits selection a lot, but still it was our preferred arrangement. This arrangement tends to separate the grey and black tanks by quite a distance, so I am not sure if there even is a brand that uses a macerator with a rear bath.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:23 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
when we were shopping, we were really taken with the rear-bath floor plan. This limits selection a lot, but still it was our preferred arrangement. This arrangement tends to separate the grey and black tanks by quite a distance, so I am not sure if there even is a brand that uses a macerator with a rear bath.
Rear-bath units tend to use macerating toilets to pump the effluent over the rear axle.