Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2023, 09:45 PM   #1

Default how difficult is it to get older roadtrek parts

My husband and I are looking into buying a class B. Since our budget is under 50k only older models are in our price range. In a different thread someone pointed out that it might be difficult to find replacement parts for older roadtreks. Just want to get opinions if that is really an issue and if that affects only RT 190, 210, 200 or also the newer models like simplicity, zion, play, agile....
Zwillingsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 01:25 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Depends what you need. If you need replacement Roadtrek Specific body parts or tanks it is nearly impossible. Appliance repair parts are all available including the Dometic Coolcat A/C unit.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 01:03 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Vehicle parts or camper parts? The vehicle is a run-of-the-mill van so parts are cheap and plentiful. A lot of the camper parts (refrigerator, cooktop, furnace, water pump, etc) were not made by Roadtrek, so they are easily replaceable as well. BTW, be sure check out the dozens of makes other than Roadtrek. You might find something you like better.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 06:18 PM   #4
Platinum Member

there can be real issues getting parts for older Dodge vans- specifically the computer for the engine. the dodge brand bought and sold multiple times.

my B is on a chev, parts available anywhere

as mentioned above the dometic or suburban appliances are common to many makes and models
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 09:09 PM   #5
Silver Member

A tire shop crushed the black tank even after warning them not to lift the vehicle. It took a few months and tire shop money to replace it. They had to do a little fabrication work to get it secured. I believe they got it out of Canada.
tarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 10:49 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I have had a 02 Chevy 200 for about a year, I am on several forums and do not see difficulty finding parts for Chevy. Some things, such as LP tanks, holding tanks and other specialty parts will be hard if not impossible to source but that applies to all RV that I know of. Because of the size service may be difficult to find, again applies to all RV.

The 200 and 210 models have a fiberglass blistering issue on the body that no one talks about. Only shows up on hot sunny days so do not inspect one on a cool day. Mine is being painted as I type to eliminate the issue.

If I had a budget of $50k I would spend no more than $35k and tuck the rest away for unforeseen repairs. They are older vehicles and things can and do go wrong! In hindsight I would buy one built on a 2003 and up chassis which was the model change year, making parts available for decades.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 04:12 PM   #7

Default old rv pats

We have an '06 Roadtrek which was built on an '05 Sprinter chassis. So far we've had to replace several things, but finding the parts has never been an issue. If you have a budget of $50K you can buy newer than an '06 RT.

So as for camper parts, it's pretty much a non-issue. You can't necessarily find an exact replacement, but a current-year replacement IS out there, so you'll be fine.

The main problem we've had with our unit is that in '05 Dodge was selling the Sprinters and they made several modifications to them for the North American market and those changes are not documented anywhere in you vehicle manuals. But that information is available on various forums. For example, the '05 thru '07 Sprinter RTs were all on the same chassis, so there is actually a Facebook forum just for those models. It is needless to say extremely useful to me and others with those same models.

Sop bottom line here is that you'll probably be just fine!
SeabeckStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 05:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwillingsmama View Post
My husband and I are looking into buying a class B. Since our budget is under 50k only older models are in our price range. In a different thread someone pointed out that it might be difficult to find replacement parts for older roadtreks. Just want to get opinions if that is really an issue and if that affects only RT 190, 210, 200 or also the newer models like simplicity, zion, play, agile....
I own a 2014 Pleasureway
I previously owned a 2007 Roadtrek 210.
I recently discovered that old Toyota RVs have a cult following. The make me nostagilc for my college days.
A renovated one is around 25000.
I discovered some even have a stick shift.
Not everyone’s cup of tea, but it could be a real hoot.

PS Pleasureway is a much nicer RV than Roadtrek and the company is still in business.

Have fun!
andrewtschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:52 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtschneider View Post
I own a 2014 Pleasureway
I previously owned a 2007 Roadtrek 210.
I recently discovered that old Toyota RVs have a cult following. The make me nostagilc for my college days.
A renovated one is around 25000.
I discovered some even have a stick shift.
Not everyone’s cup of tea, but it could be a real hoot.

PS Pleasureway is a much nicer RV than Roadtrek and the company is still in business.

Have fun!
I find "much nicer" interesting. I have found some things on my RT to be a very poor idea. Such as no screen door. Been making RV for decades and no screen door? Must be they do not have insects in Canada. Care to elaborate a bit on nicer.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:48 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
I own a 1999 Roadtrek 190 Popular on the Dodge chassis and have had it for about 10 years. The only body part I've had to have replaced was the fiberglass trim at the bottom on the sides after the right rear tire blew out. Roadtrek was still in business at the time, and my mechanic was able to get that piece from them. There is a company that bought most of Roadtrek's parts inventory after Roadtrek went out of business a few years ago. I believe there is also a company that can manufacture the fiberglass pieces. There is a Facebook group for people who own the older Roadtreks between 1974 and 2003, and you can find a lot of information on there for sources. Most of the repairs I've done on my Roadtrek are just basic mechanical things, like engine battery, tires, shocks, ball joints, etc. It might be easier to get replacement parts for the 1990's Roadtreks if you're needing things for van body. I even got a replacement hinge for the back window from a Dodge dealer a few years ago. BTW, I paid $20,000 for mine.
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 11:41 PM   #11

We are still looking for a van - we did not like the Lexor and although we like the interior of the Excel, driving the Ford 350 is awful for us. We are both short people and can barley look over the steering wheel. We like the RT 190 and 210 but are hesitant because of the part issue - we are looking at 2006 and younger on a Chevy engine - are those younger ones also having the part issue? The other one we like is the Pleasure Way Plateau on the Sprinter/Dodge - any thoughts ? Thank you
Old 07-06-2023, 12:50 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
We are still looking for a van - we did not like the Lexor and although we like the interior of the Excel, driving the Ford 350 is awful for us. We are both short people and can barley look over the steering wheel. We like the RT 190 and 210 but are hesitant because of the part issue - we are looking at 2006 and younger on a Chevy engine - are those younger ones also having the part issue? The other one we like is the Pleasure Way Plateau on the Sprinter/Dodge - any thoughts ? Thank you
There is a Facebook group for the Roadtreks on the Chevy chassis, and a group for Roadtreks 2004 and newer. You could get a lot of info from them regarding any issues. I have seen some complaints about the Sprinter chassis. Sounds like people like the Dodge Promaster better.

I happen to see my records from when I bought my 1999 Roadtrek 190 Popular, and I've actually had it 12 years, not 10, and have put 65,000 miles on it. I haven't had any issues with having mechanical repairs done on the Dodge engine or other normal vehicle things, like brakes, shocks, etc. I just had Bilstein shocks put on and a steering stabilizer, which helps with handling on the older Dodges. What sort of parts are you concerned with? Body parts, interior parts, mechanical parts? I haven't had to replace any of the interior house things, other than the A/C, which was easy because they were able to just put a window air conditioner in. Everything else in mine - fridge, microwave, cabinets, toilet, etc. are all original. These can all be upgraded, and people on the Facebook group are quite willing to share what has worked for them.
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 01:02 AM   #13

I know I can get parts for the engine/motor etc. but I heard that getting replacements for rv specific parts (like water tanks, LP tank or the exterior fiberglass doors) are problematic . The appliances I believe are easy to replace.
Old 07-06-2023, 01:39 AM   #14
Platinum Member

I have an 02 Chevy 200. Chevy and RV parts are not an issue. Fiberglass body parts are difficult to find but that is true of most older RV. The LP tanks are available but $$$$$$$