Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2023, 04:10 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
The whole idea of "stealth" and the need to hide is juvenile.
Stealthiness is the B-Class ONLY fad and as other fads they come and go. "The van is stealthy because I say so" reminds me this scene.

“The truth is what I say it is” -
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 04:18 PM   #22

Quote:
The whole idea of "stealth" and the need to hide is juvenile.
Ain’t ‘Merica great!

Concur with the theory of “stealth”? From whom?

There’s no class B, B+, etc that’s fooling anyone who cares to take a moment to actually look at the vehicle. With the popularity of vanlife nowadays I would suggest that even rigs that aren’t used for recreational use are being misidentified as what we all are using. If you’re going through the effort of trying to be stealthy I’d have to ask to what end?

I wear camo to blend in while hunting. But I am not breaking any laws (perhaps there are some laws of nature wherein the critters feel that camo gives me an advantage I wasn’t born with. There’s plenty of camouflage going on in nature however so I have no guilt). Anyway what’s the purpose and outcome? If you’re trying to reduce property damage by not having an awning? How does one apply that same logic to a roof over your head? Do I not shingle my roof because there “may” be a hail storm none day?

I guess I would end this by saying different stokes for different folks. If it makes you feel good about yourself, you’re not hurting anyone nor breaking any laws do whatever pleases you. But please stay off the soapbox trying to tell anyone that only your way is the correct way, stealthy or otherwise.

Out in the open….
Gary
Texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 04:38 PM   #23
Platinum Member

There are a couple reasons for stealth. One is clearly HOA that don't allow RV's. The other is you want to actually park in settings where overnight sleeping isn't allowed. An example would be parking in a friend's driveway or in front of their house. If you park for several days a "van" may or may not attract attention. An obvious RV would.

In answer to the original poster's question, we don't worry about stealth at all. Our awning is not supposed to be used in rain or wind. That means it almost never gets used. We have a sunshade we put up that will stand up to the weather without damage and would be relatively cheap to replace if it somehow didn't. We also don't need to sit right next to the RV to take advantage of it.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 07:56 PM   #24
Bronze Member

Default How important is stealth to you

I have a 2001 Roadtrek Versatile. I like to be stealthy sometimes, especially when I’m parked overnight in the street. Unless your a camper, most people think that my RV is a van.
ChristyCappello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 08:48 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyCappello View Post
I have a 2001 Roadtrek Versatile. I like to be stealthy sometimes, especially when I’m parked overnight in the street. Unless your a camper, most people think that my RV is a van.
How do you know that most people think that way?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 02:53 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyCappello View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
How do you know that most people think that way?
"you're"

How does one know? What I normally do is ask them.. "Excuse me, I'm trying to hide out here. Can you tell me if it looks like I'm out here camping in this van or not"?
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 03:08 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Default No disguising it, the van is an RV

Interesting replies to this thread, but, the fact remains that no matter how hard you try, the vehicle is still a campervan.

I wonder how many people who purchased these vehicles living in an HOA neighborhood deal with this?

Fortunately, I don't have this problem. Our van is parked right out in front of our house in the driveway.

I never worry about parking the van at locations and thinking what people think. It is what it is. Sometimes we carry a couple of bicycles on the rest of the van.

In fact, more often than not I expect that they think it's a camper or a limo. Many of these Sprinters have customized seats and entertainment centers inside.

Some hilarious points, in my opinion, about people not using or wanting an awning? Yeah, when we go somewhere, we want some shade outside.... how is that working for you?

I really like the panoramic windows of this coach and with the dark tinting you can't see inside in the daytime. At night, we have window shades. It definitely makes it feel bigger inside allowing us to see our. I wouldn't trade that for small or fewer windows because it's a very small space and there's no need to have extra cabinets.... have plenty.

We removed the 2nd row of passenger seats and have the optional armoire cabinets supplied by the factory. Gives us a lot of organization for space. And, we've learned how to just take only what we need.

Fuel efficiency is variable, really depends a lot on where you're going. We reliably get around 18 MPG on the road, but, wind and mountain pass driving has an effect on that.

Sometimes higher other times lower. Your fuel mileage is so much dependent on too many factors like wind as well.

This is a two person vehicle. It has one king size bed. I am always amazed by how companies advertise the four person campervans with the pop top.

Just because it might have one doesn't mean you'll find people enthusiastic to use them. It's only one bathroom.

I wouldn't worry about trying to be incognito 🥸.... it's pointless. Class B's are definitely less obvious to most people. They might see your van and think about it for a moment but it's definitely not telegraphing the message like a Class A, C or trailer would.

Just enjoy your travels and be safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180504_123140.jpg (316.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200530_101130.jpg (296.6 KB, 3 views)
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 03:27 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Some hilarious points, in my opinion, about people not using or wanting an awning? Yeah, when we go somewhere, we want some shade outside.... how is that working for you?
Very well indeed.

Thank you for asking.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 03:35 PM   #29
Platinum Member

We love locations with trees..... and many National and State Parks have them, but, they are not everywhere....

So, without any awning.... what do you actually do?
Old 07-21-2023, 03:44 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
So, without any awning.... what do you actually do?
Go stealth and hide inside?
Old 07-21-2023, 04:00 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Default Might as well be home.....

Quote:
Go stealth and hide inside?
That's it...go inside? Seriously?

The whole point of going camping is to have some outdoor experiences....the camper is too small just to be cooped up inside....

That's why we don't camp in 90 plus degrees.,..

It's definitely cooler in some shade.....you can't always count on having adequate shade at every location.....

Also, we carry plenty of sunscreen......
Old 07-21-2023, 04:07 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's it...go inside? Seriously?
No, not seriously. Need to read through the whole thread..
Old 07-21-2023, 04:50 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Hey, I see you wrote this in an earlier reply.....

I completely agree with you �� percent.

So, you probably have an awning.....or something...

The question of how does one deal with "no shade" from natural surroundings or an awning of any kind is a question some of the other people....who insist that these are not necessary?

My wife and I want some shade...we don't care how we get it.

The whole idea of "stealth" and the need to hide is juvenile
Old 07-21-2023, 05:24 PM   #34
Site Team

As I have said many times, we are "tourers", not "campers". In the daytime, we are always either out sightseeing or hiking. On sunny days, we close the blinds and off we go. We return after sunset for a pleasant dinner and relaxing evening. "Shade" has no place in this regimen. Folks with other preferences will have different needs. Calling awnings (or most anything else for that matter) "necessary" for everybody is silly.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 05:52 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Default Resale value

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
As I have said many times, we are "tourers", not "campers". In the daytime, we are always either out sightseeing or hiking. On sunny days, we close the blinds and off we go. We return after sunset for a pleasant dinner and relaxing evening. "Shade" has no place in this regimen. Folks with other preferences will have different needs. Calling awnings (or most anything else for that matter) "necessary" for everybody is silly.
It's nice to have options.... we've done plenty of touring....
Old 07-21-2023, 06:12 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Should you want to park overnight where you shouldn’t look into the Van City Van Life channel. He has several videos on it.

His van is anything but stealth with stickers, You tube logo, ladder, and storage container.

To spend the night where you shouldn’t, arrive late, (eat dinner elsewhere), block all light leaks, and leave early. You need to pick your spot properly and he addresses that too.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 06:29 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
To spend the night where you shouldn’t, arrive late, (eat dinner elsewhere), block all light leaks, and leave early. You need to pick your spot properly and he addresses that too.
In other words, sneak around and break the rules and/or the law any time you feel like doing so.

Why go through life dishonest like that? To recall a famous quote..

"Always be honest. That way you don't have anything to remember".
Old 07-21-2023, 06:44 PM   #38
Platinum Member

If I were just interested in TOURING, I'd rather drive my car and stay in HOTELS. We do plenty of that driving across the USA every year..... Yeah, I've taken the van twice.... but, actually, it's easier in the CAR.

HOW many of you drive across the USA every year?
Old 07-21-2023, 07:47 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
If I were just interested in TOURING, I'd rather drive my car and stay in HOTELS.
Isn't there a lot more to it than that? The greatest joy of having a van isn't just the camping, it's the FREEDOM from OBLIGATION it provides. For example you don't have to find a hotel every night, though you have the freedom to do that if you so choose. You don't absolutely have to be anywhere at a particular time. Instead your schedule becomes completely flexible. That kind of freedom is priceless.
Old 07-21-2023, 08:12 PM   #40
Platinum Member

To answer the awning question, we use a 14 foot diameter screen house that doubles to keep the mosquitos away. It fits easily in a 26" long 8" in diameter case as shown in our back storage. We use it though our previous van had an awning. We have had the Eddie Bauer screen house for about 15 years. Today the Alvantor screen house is a good solution because it puts up and takes down a lot easier.

For an awning, if one desires that solution, there is a MoonShade that stores similar in a small package to our screen tent and is only $395.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/B...5-5728ce038469

The screen house and how we store it in our van today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Woodenfrog SF CG with Screen Tent.jpeg (479.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpeg Mies Eddie Bauer Screen Tent Storage.jpeg (343.7 KB, 7 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote