Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2023, 10:49 PM   #1

Default How often do I need to run generator

We finally bought our first van (06 RT Adventurous) while looking at previous vans a sales person told us we had to run the generator frequently so it doesn’t seize up. Now my question is how often? How long? Under load? What do you do?
Zwillingsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:13 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I have had a motorized RV for 20+ years, last year I bought a Roadtrek RV with a good running Onan generator. I removed it and sold it before it could cost me money! Been using Honda for 20 years!

The main problem with any carbureted engine is the ethanol in the gas, the gasoline evaporates and the ethanol gums up the carburetor. This applies to lawn mowers, weed wackers, chain saws etc. Also the various electrical components, again any generator not just Ohno can corrode. The Onans can be a money pit if not cared for! There is a lady on the generator forum that has spent $1000 on an Onan that was not used for 3 years and it still is not right.

If I were forced to live with a Onan I would run it at least 30 minutes twice a month with a load, AC, electric heater, something that loads the generator not just a light bulb or radio. If you want to store the RV for months, there are instructions online on how to prep the generator.

My opinion and worth what you are paying for it.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:29 AM   #3
Platinum Member

The Adventurous should have a propane generator so really the need for running is to keep the slip rings clean in the generator section of the unit.

I think the Onan recommendation should easily cover it but I don't recall exactly how many hours a month it was that year.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:35 AM   #4

Yes it is a propane generator
Zwillingsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 10:30 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Propane will save you a lot of grief. I would still run 1/2 hour under load twice a month to keep the internals of the generator clean. I exercise my RV at least once a month. Keeps everything moving, lubricated.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 05:26 AM   #6
Platinum Member

This only applies to a gasoline genny, I believe it may depend on the climate where it spends most of it's time. I live in a very dry area and ran the genny only when being used, which was not often. Never had an issue, except for the fuel pump failing. I doubt that had anything to do with not exercising the genny.
However, I did drain the carburetor in the fall .
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 09:56 AM   #7
Platinum Member

The following is from the operator's' manual for the Onan Microlite 2800 KV (I do not know if this also applies to propane):

"To prevent harmful moisture accumulation and fuel deposits, run the genset at 50 percent capacity (1,400 watts) for two hours every four weeks. A long exercise period is preferable to several short periods."

This is what I do and it seems to work just fine. I do notice, however, that the more I run it the better it runs.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 07:58 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
Propane will save you a lot of grief. I would still run 1/2 hour under load twice a month to keep the internals of the generator clean. I exercise my RV at least once a month. Keeps everything moving, lubricated.
I try to run mine once a month for an hour, either with the A/C or a 1500W heater as loads.
Usually it ends up more like every other month.
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 03:50 PM   #9
Platinum Member

onan says two hours per month under load if you’re not using it
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 03:53 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default Exactly correct, on average 2 hours per month

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
onan says two hours per month under load if you’re not using it
It's in the owners manual and I've talked personally with the people at the Cummins Onan service center.

Two hours per month, on gas or propane....

Also, get your generator serviced once a year unless you're confident of doing it yourself.... it's cheap insurance...

What's $350 per year when you have a $100,000 or more motorhome???
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 03:57 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Why not just ditch the generator and go to Lithium batteries, solar panels and an inverter? Give your fellow campers the peace and quiet they came out into the woods for. Sorry for the rant; we just came back from a camping trip in which we spent a couple of nights in a campground with some fellow who ran his noisy generator from 6 am to 10 at night.
Jim86301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:38 PM   #12
Gold Member

Once a month under a reasonable load (the AC in the summer, a 1000W space heater in the winter) for an hour at least, regardless of whether it is gasoline or propane powered, and probably more often if stored in a very humid environment. For a gasoline motor, it's important to keep the TINY carb orifices and jets hopefully clean, and for extended storage I also add a healthy dose of a fuel stabilizer (I use Seafoam) in the full or near full fuel tank, but regardless of fuel used it's equally important to regularily run the generator to keep the slip rings and brushes clear of oxidation.
nicaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 10:24 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
It's in the owners manual and I've talked personally with the people at the Cummins Onan service center.

Two hours per month, on gas or propane....

Also, get your generator serviced once a year unless you're confident of doing it yourself.... it's cheap insurance...

What's $350 per year when you have a $100,000 or more motorhome???
To further elaborate, the only "annual service" needed (on my Onan 2800i) would be an oil change which is required every 150 hours or 1 year whichever first. For that you need 1 quart of oil for $5, per year.

For the remainder of the maintenance, one should follow the maintenance schedule in the manual -

Old 09-23-2023, 01:46 PM   #14
Site Team

Speaking only for myself, I think the Onan published maintenance regimen is nonsense. When the exact same procedure is repeated nearly verbatim for decades -- across models, fuel types, operating conditions, and improvements in oil formulations -- I get a little skeptical.

Yes, you can say that they designed it and so are the best source of information. You can also say that it is a CYA statement written decades ago to make up for a crude and poorly-designed gasoline setup by a company that doesn't care about cost and inconvenience to their owners and has absolutely no motivation to do the work necessary to develop and publish realistic, fact-based guidelines.

My personal experience over two propane units is that they need to be run for awhile a couple of times a year to keep the commutator surfaces rust-free. That is what I did, and both units held up just fine. Gasoline units are no doubt another story--I have no data there.

Oh, and as I have reported elsewhere, I have reason to believe that time-based oil changes are nonsense.

Of course, everybody should do what they think best.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 02:16 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Speaking only for myself, I think the Onan published maintenance regimen is nonsense. When the exact same procedure is repeated nearly verbatim for decades -- across models, fuel types, operating conditions, and improvements in oil formulations -- I get a little skeptical.

Yes, you can say that they designed it and so are the best source of information. You can also say that it is a CYA statement written decades ago to make up for a crude and poorly-designed gasoline setup by a company that doesn't care about cost and inconvenience to their owners and has absolutely no motivation to do the work necessary to develop and publish realistic, fact-based guidelines.

My personal experience over two propane units is that they need to be run for awhile a couple of times a year to keep the commutator surfaces rust-free. That is what I did, and both units held up just fine. Gasoline units are no doubt another story--I have no data there.

Oh, and as I have reported elsewhere, I have reason to believe that time-based oil changes are nonsense.

Definitely not bad for propane, and agree gas is the problem child.

I would add the caveat that where you live can make a big difference in commuator/slip ring corrosion. If you are in the dry and warm air in Arizona, the will nearly never corrode, but live in the Pacific NW or in salty air by the ocean and it is very likely much more of a an issue. Drive it on sloppy salty roads with an underbody generator is probably also high corrosion.
Old 09-24-2023, 10:49 AM   #16

Will gas generators fueled by the gas tank on the coach benefit much by running premium fuel? How about those additives that you add to gas tanks that clean your system would those help?
kml123@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 11:43 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post

Agreed and I think I'll stick with the specified maintenance schedule
Old 09-24-2023, 11:44 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kml123@gmail.com View Post
Will gas generators fueled by the gas tank on the coach benefit much by running premium fuel? How about those additives that you add to gas tanks that clean your system would those help?
I would say that as long as your using good and correct gasoline in your van then that gas is good for the generator. What's important is the "detergents" and quality of gas, not the octane.
Old 09-24-2023, 11:44 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kml123@gmail.com View Post

IMO, many will disagree as always with this kind of question.

Premium no benefit

Top Tier small if any for plugging of carb issue, will help keep valves clean

Ethanol free will be the biggest improvement if you can get it as it will change the plugging up while sitting timeframe from week to months, from what we saw when we had our Onan.

Additives can help. Many, including us found Seafoam to work very well.
Old 09-24-2023, 11:46 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
IMO, many will disagree as always with this kind of question.

Premium no benefit

Top Tier small if any for plugging of carb issue, will help keep valves clean

Ethanol free will be the biggest improvement if you can get it as it will change the plugging up while sitting timeframe from week to months, from what we saw when we had our Onan.

Additives can help. Many, including us found Seafoam to work very well.

Agreed!