Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
Awesome... Thank you!
I just sent a email. We will see what, if anything happens.
Did you get any news on your Aktiv yet?
Old 11-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisefx View Post
Did you get any news on your Aktiv yet?
Did the O.P. ever mention reaching out to the seller to discuss / get an update for when the repairs would be completed? If not, I would suspect J.H. would not get directly involved but ask the dealership to touch base with the purchaser.

Has anyone had buyers remorse after buying an RV at an auto show? Many claim that is where you get the best deals ($$$$) but in essence you are getting a demo with miles on the odometer and thousands of people walking through it (warranting repair work).

I would think the purchaser would be more vulnerable because emotions are running high and almost all the window stickers show discounts.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #63
Silver Member

Here is our story:

Back in September before the dealer network was determined, I reached out to Hymer Corporate regarding when the Aktiv. I inquired when the Aktiv would be available in my area. Hymer communicated that the dealer network was in the process of being determined and would shortly be available. They also communicated that the Aktiv would not hit dealer inventory until next year.

We noticed on the Hymer website that they were showing the Aktiv at the Hershey, PA and Pomona, CA. Per the Hymer Facebook page we noted that they were selling them at the Hershey show. They sold all of the ones there within two days. I reached out again and inquired how the ones in California will be optioned. Luckily they had one specified exactly how we wanted.

Knowing that the dealers weren't determined and that none would deliver until the first of the year, my wife and I decided to book a flight down to California the first day of the show and check them out and potentially buy one.

Fast forward to the day of the show. We were told that the delivery truck was late and that there was a chance that we wouldn't see them. Luckily upon arrival they were there. In fact just showed up.

We walked through them and noticed that the condition of them wasn't the quality we were expecting... small scratches here and there and little things. It was if they rushed the assembly of these to get to the show... as the wear wouldn't be from show as they just showed up.

Talking to Hymer associates and Mike Thompson RV people they assured us that everything would be repaired and if we ordered one that there would be a high likely chance that it would show up the same way. Being new to purchasing RV's we took their word as some other Roadtreks and Travatos we saw locally weren't 100% perfect either.

We decided to proceed with the purchase. In doing so we took pictures of every little scratch and documented all the repairs needed. Negotiated the price which we were happy with and submitted a $5000 deposit. They told us that they would pull it from the show to prevent any other damage.

We communicated to both the Sales and Finance manager that we were going to be out of town for our wedding and would fly down to the dealership in 5 weeks to complete the deal. This would allow plenty of time for them to order and make the necessary repairs.

The day after the show, I booked plane tickets 5 weeks out as I knew tickets prices would increase due to the Holidays approaching. I communicated to the both the Sales and Finance manager when our flight was and we were all set.

One week before we were to leave, I reached out to them and asked what I needed to bring and how the repairs were coming. The replied back we will check and get back to you. A few days pass and I reach out again... Same answer. The day before our flight, the sales associate contacts me and acted all shocked that we already booked tickets. Claimed he didn't know that and that I needed to cancel my flight as the repairs were not complete. I pointed out to him that I sent several messages detailing our flight and inquiring the status of the repairs. He then told me that he gets so many emails a day and that text messaging or phone calls are better. So basically he dropped the ball as I pointed out he replied to my emails confirming my details.

I cancelled our flights which required me to pay cancellation fees.

I then reached out multiple times asking when the repairs will be complete. They couldn't give me a solid answer. Early last week they communicated to me that all the repairs they could do were done, but were still waiting for parts.

Then I see a post on the Hymer Facebook page that the dealer closest to me had just received one as dealer inventory to sell. I was frustrated for a few reasons. One being that Hymer had communicated none would hit dealers until next year. Second, that of all the dealers in the USA, the one closest to us gets one exactly optioned like ours.

This is why I posted on here to see what my options were.

I sent a message to Jim Hammill as suggested and got a reply back from Mike Snell. We talked on the phone and apologized for what we have gone through. He told me that the parts would be overnighted and that the repairs would be complete In a few days.

A few days later I reached out to my sales associate and asked the status. He mentioned that they were working with Hymer compiling a list of parts needed to be ordered. So the parts being overnighted was not the case. I reached back to Mike Snell on Wednesday and he said he would look into it.

I haven't heard back since.

So to reply back to the comment about buyers remorse. That isn't the case. I want and intend to buy the Aktiv. I'm just frustrated that no one can give me a straight answer when it will be complete and that they keep stringing me along.

Is this normal for RV purchases?
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #64
Platinum Member

So they didn't even order the parts, so the dealer dropped it completely, and then blamed Roadtrek?

I wonder if they are stalling so they can have one on the floor to demo?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #65
Platinum Member

This was Mike Thompson RV, correct?

Based on many Roadtrek buyers experiences this is pretty typical performance from Mike Thompson, very poor service after the sale...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here is our story:

Is this normal for RV purchases?
RV contracts are written to protect the RV dealership not you. That is why most consumers should have legal representation protecting your interest.

YES YES YES This is true for almost most any purchases involving complex transaction.

Ever watch Judge Judy?

If you have signed a written contract all things enforceable are only within the structure of that document. Verbal promises mean nothing at that point.

Also, if you MUST have something (exact terms), create an addendum to the contract with the penalties for not meeting deadlines etc. and have all parties sign it. RV contracts are written to protect the RV dealership not you.

They know you have little recourse and if you signed the contract you are held to those terms. Is it good customer service? No Is it honest? No

It happen to me once with a major purchase and I swore never again...

You sound like a good person with honest intent but the world can be unfair at times.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:47 PM   #67
Platinum Member

There are a lot of RV sales reps that know nothing about RV's let alone that will do anything for you.

I do not know how many times I have asked an RV sales rep a specific question and they just say i do not know. They did not even tell me that they will check on that and will get back to me.

I would try to find a way to back out of the contract. Threaten to sue them. Make a blog. Post on facebook and twitter. Call a local TV station close to the dealer. Tell them the story. TV stations love stories like this. Maybe bad press will get the dealer moving or give your money back.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:43 PM   #68
BBQ
Platinum Member

You should ask Jim Kimmel to authorize a transfer of your deposit from Thompson to the dealer of your choice.

RT is still getting a sale, they should not have to worry about losing out.

Case closed.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #69
BBQ
Platinum Member

My suspicion is that Thompson never received the said Aktiv.

If they had it in their inventory, they would be in a hurry to move it. Because inventory is a cost. Cost is spent money. The longer they hold on to it, the more cost it is to them.

Knowing that RT does not have that many units built, probably they are using the unit as a traveling demo and it has been circulating the dealers since the show.

Just my guess.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

You should ask Jim Kimmel
I hadn't realized that the CEO of RT was on late night American television... LOL

I love typos...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #71
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

You should ask Jim Kimmel to authorize a transfer of your deposit from Thompson to the dealer of your choice.

Case closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I hadn't realized that the CEO of RT was on late night American television... LOL

I love typos...

LOL... fast fingers. S/B Hammill

Old 11-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #72
Bronze Member

Sorry to hear that you haven't received your Aktiv yet and are getting the runaround. As another mentioned, seek legal counsel. Thompson has obviously not held up there end of the deal. Have you asked Thompson to terminate the contract? Sometimes just suggesting legal action is enough to get the ball rolling, either towards delivering the Aktiv ASAP or terminating the contract.

Finally, some states have consumer protection laws that may apply here. It might be worth looking into.
JohnMFlores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:42 PM   #73
Silver Member

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions. Please see below for my replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
So they didn't even order the parts, so the dealer dropped it completely, and then blamed Roadtrek?

I wonder if they are stalling so they can have one on the floor to demo?
Based on what I know, Sounds like they didn't do anything until a week prior to our original planned trip when I inquired the status of the repairs. They mentioned that they had a upholstery person come do work (headliner had small snags on the cab header and over the bed). They did what they could and got to a point where they needed required parts from Hymer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
This was Mike Thompson RV, correct?

Based on many Roadtrek buyers experiences this is pretty typical performance from Mike Thompson, very poor service after the sale...
Yes, this is through Mike Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
RV contracts are written to protect the RV dealership not you. That is why most consumers should have legal representation protecting your interest.

YES YES YES This is true for almost most any purchases involving complex transaction.

Ever watch Judge Judy?

If you have signed a written contract all things enforceable are only within the structure of that document. Verbal promises mean nothing at that point.

Also, if you MUST have something (exact terms), create an addendum to the contract with the penalties for not meeting deadlines etc. and have all parties sign it. RV contracts are written to protect the RV dealership not you.

They know you have little recourse and if you signed the contract you are held to those terms. Is it good customer service? No Is it honest? No

It happen to me once with a major purchase and I swore never again...

You sound like a good person with honest intent but the world can be unfair at times.
You are so right. After reviewing all the paperwork, it is all in the favor of the dealership. Even documentation to go through arbitration. Interesting thing and bad on our part we signed a document for title transfer and the odometer mileage is missing. This is absolutely no excuse, but we were in a rush as we needed to catch our flight back home. We were more focused documenting all the things wrong with the Aktiv than the paperwork. Now we are paying the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperml View Post
There are a lot of RV sales reps that know nothing about RV's let alone that will do anything for you.

I do not know how many times I have asked an RV sales rep a specific question and they just say i do not know. They did not even tell me that they will check on that and will get back to me.

I would try to find a way to back out of the contract. Threaten to sue them. Make a blog. Post on facebook and twitter. Call a local TV station close to the dealer. Tell them the story. TV stations love stories like this. Maybe bad press will get the dealer moving or give your money back.
So true. We knew more about it than our sales associate. He was rushing us while we were documenting things needing repairs. At first I thought it was because he thought we were being anal, but actually I think he was worried that we were running out of time to do paperwork with the finance manager.

Currently I am just pass the 7 week mark. I'm going to wait until 8 weeks (this Friday)... then I will communicate that I am seeking legal counsel to determine my options. I did sign documentation that I would use arbitration. I will also do as you suggest... post on Hymer's facebook, twitter page and yelp. Not sure if I will go to the extreme of TV station.

Quote:

You should ask Jim Hammill to authorize a transfer of your deposit from Thompson to the dealer of your choice.

Case closed.
I asked about this with Mike Snell, Hymer head of sales and he said he can not get involved with any dealer contracts but can get involved with things on their end like parts/warranty.

Quote:

My suspicion is that Thompson never received the said Aktiv.

If they had it in their inventory, they would be in a hurry to move it. Because inventory is a cost. Cost is spent money. The longer they hold on to it, the more cost it is to them.

Knowing that RT does not have that many units built, probably they are using the unit as a traveling demo and it has been circulating the dealers since the show.

Just my guess.
I think they have it. It is listed on their website as sales pending. All my contracts have a VIN listed. They also have another Aktiv listed... no pictures for both. The second might be on their way. I wonder if it would be possible for Hymer to send a complete new AKtiv to us locally... still being sold through Mike Thompson??? I saw a report that Hymer is making 1-2 Aktiv's a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMFlores View Post
Sorry to hear that you haven't received your Aktiv yet and are getting the runaround. As another mentioned, seek legal counsel. Thompson has obviously not held up there end of the deal. Have you asked Thompson to terminate the contract? Sometimes just suggesting legal action is enough to get the ball rolling, either towards delivering the Aktiv ASAP or terminating the contract.

Finally, some states have consumer protection laws that may apply here. It might be worth looking into.
Thanks John and welcome to the forum. Noticed this is your first post. I have yet to ask them to terminate the deal. I wanted to give them the chance to fulfill there end of the deal. I will wait until the 8 week mark to proceed with legal counsel.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #74
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions. Please see below for my replies:

I wonder if it would be possible for Hymer to send a complete new AKtiv to us locally... still being sold through Mike Thompson??? I saw a report that Hymer is making 1-2 Aktiv's a day.

I will wait until the 8 week mark to proceed with legal counsel.
As painful as this may sound, does the signed contract allow you to breach the contract by surrendering your deposit? One of the keys to negotiating a breach of contract is to NOT TAKE POSSESSION OF THE VEHICLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Whatever negotiated price you may have gotten may / may not be worth what you are going through.

Given the dealer delays (parts not ordered and promises not kept) and the sour taste this has caused, maybe (through the assistance of an attorney) initiate negotiating a partial surrender (50%) of your deposit to allow you to move on.

You can then buy locally at some time in the future. The HYMER ACTIV is a depreciating asset (like all RVs) and deferring your purchase may result in you getting a better deal in the future.

Note: Despite wanting to talk to the dealer and work this out yourself: 1) acknowledge you are outgunned, 2) journal what was said by the dealership date /time 3) document promises made but not kept and 4) limit your conversation to email (so you have a record).

A smart attorney (and two-hours of his time) can craft a notarized letter to the dealership starting a discussion that is more level and reach an agreement faster than you can.

No dealership wants a YouTube video out there forever demonstrating that Joe Q. Public needs to hire an attorney to get a fair deal at dealership XXX. Posting your story multiple RV themed blog sites is not the kind of publicity a dealer wants in 2016.

Something to consider since they do not have the vehicle ready.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #75
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
As painful as this may sound, does the signed contract allow you void the contract by surrendering your deposit?

Given the dealer delays (parts not ordered and promises not kept) and the sour taste this has caused, maybe (through the assistance of an attorney) initiate negotiating a partial surrender (50%) of your deposit to allow you to move on.

You can then buy locally at some time in the future. The HYMER ACTIV is a depreciating asset (like all RVs) and deferring your purchase may result in you getting a better deal in the future.

Note: Despite wanting to talk to the dealer and work this out yourself: 1) acknowledge you are outgunned, 2) journal what was said by the dealership date /time 3) document promises made but not kept and 4) limit your conversation to email (so you have a record).

A smart attorney (and two-hours of his time) can craft a notarized letter to the dealership starting a discussion that is more level and reach an agreement faster than you can.

No dealership wants a YouTube video out there forever demonstrating that Joe Q. Public needs to hire an attorney to get a fair deal at dealership XXX. Posting your story multiple RV themed blog sites is not the kind of publicity a dealer wants in 2016.

Something to consider since they do not have the vehicle ready.
Thanks again for the advice.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #76
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

You should ask Jim Himmel to authorize a transfer of your deposit from Thompson to the dealer of your choice.

Case closed.
Quote:
::
I asked about this with Mike Snell, Hymer head of sales and he said he can not get involved with any dealer contracts but can get involved with things on their end like parts/warranty.
::

That's a lot of baloney. There is a lot he can do to correct a wrong.
The question is whether he wants to exercise his power for the customer's good.
This is way beyond tolerable;
that is why more and more people are buying Winnebago instead of RT.

WGO has a one year warranty, and RT has 5, but people would rather buy WGO than RT. WHY???
Old 11-20-2016, 11:36 PM   #77
Platinum Member

Not to be argumentative... but I think that most often the choice goes to Winnebago because of the significantly cheaper prices... and much easier availability. Winnebago also has some crappy dealers... LOL
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:55 PM   #78
Platinum Member

I think it would be amazing if Winnebago did not have more sales than Roadtrek.

More dealers
Larger existing customer base
Better name recognition
Lower prices
More efficient manufacturing

It seems pretty clear to me that Winnebago would be leading in sales...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:33 AM   #79
Silver Member

Update...
The Service Manager at Mike Thompson RV called and informed me that almost all the parts have arrived from Hymer/Roadtrek. Told me that they are in the process of installing them. He had no idea I was out of state... as he asked to review what they have done so far. My hope is to fly down not this weekend, but next? Time will tell.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:59 PM   #80
Silver Member

UPDATE:
Mike Thompson called to confirm all repairs are complete. They are reimbursing us for ticket cancellation fees and all flight cost for our delays (8 weeks to the day). Michael Snell from Hymer is also providing us with a Fuel Card (for how much, I'm not sure). We are flying down this Sunday to do the orientation, review the repairs and sign the final paperwork. Hope to post a successful update on Monday!!!