Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #101
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Is it really that much different than what Coachmen uses? Oh, but without a quiet generator compared to a LOUD ONAN.

Who really needs it? Glad you asked though.

Bud
It is pretty much exactly what Coachmen installs for freedom from propane.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #102
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
It is pretty much exactly what Coachmen installs for freedom from propane.
And the LOUD ONAN
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:29 PM   #103
Platinum Member

I request that all reply’s on this thread be specific only to the installation film I posted. Let’s keep the thread focused on the installation in a respectful manner. Goofy reply's like loud generators are just stupid and serve no purpose. 98% of all RV owners have generators and only a select few here seem to have a problem with them. Maybe its just you!

All questions of pertaining high idle charging, DPF, auto-start, 2nd alternators, etc. which is not used in this film, should be re-directed to my other “Lithium Verses Onan” thread where you may post questions pertaining to that equipment.

In answer to equipment - While interested parties can buy similar equipment used in my installation, the power components used in my install are for OEM use only, and not available to the general public. Typical of e-Gen systems, they are proprietary to only to certain parties.

While I originally planned to share my 110 volt and 12 volt rewiring schematics and a complete list electrical components, plus links to competitive pricing, I made the decision to not not share these documents.

Regards - Mike Mas
IdleUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #104
Platinum Member

So why did you tell us that the parts weren't available to the public, then that they were, and now again that they aren't. Very confusing.

I would suggest that since the Onan is an integral part of the system described in this thread it seems kind of odd to say it shouldn't be mentioned because it doesn't apply to this thread. It is a large factor for many people in looking at this setup and deciding if it work for them, I would think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:47 PM   #105
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
So why did you tell us that the parts weren't available to the public, then that they were, and now again that they aren't. Very confusing.

I would suggest that since the Onan is an integral part of the system described in this thread it seems kind of odd to say it shouldn't be mentioned because it doesn't apply to this thread. It is a large factor for many people in looking at this setup and deciding if it work for them, I would think.
The generator is not part of my install . . . . .
Old 11-01-2019, 10:33 PM   #106
Platinum Member

As you can tell we really aren't too interested in your system. No one here that I know of has chosen Lithionics. No one is interested in charging an 800AH bank with an Onan.

We were interested in reading about another system, which we have done.

Anybody want to put a Ring Doorbell on their coach?
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:43 PM   #107
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
In answer to equipment - While interested parties can buy similar equipment used in my installation, the power components used in my install are for OEM use only, and not available to the general public. Typical of e-Gen systems, they are proprietary to only to certain parties.

While I originally planned to share my 110 volt and 12 volt rewiring schematics and a complete list electrical components, plus links to competitive pricing, I made the decision to not not share these documents.
So basically you're not here to share, correct? I mean, what's the purpose of presenting a high-end system with no interest in telling other people how to replicate it?

BTW: In the quoted statements above there is an apparent contradiction. The first does say the equipment used can not be purchased and the second says that you had originally intended to provide the list as well as links to competitive pricing. I did go to Lithionics to check on the batteries and also found the BMS, combox and inboard control panel. Similar with Xantrex. So your second statement appears to be the most correct: You have the information but don't want to share it. That's your decision and you have every right to make that decision. But it renders your OP pretty useless for the majority of us on this forum. Just so you know.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:36 AM   #108
Platinum Member

I made a comment about the time to recharge your batteries after depleting them running your air conditioning 6-8 hours (your video). In a way that's short sighted. Coachmen claims better performance out of their LI3 setup. How do you respond to needing to run your Onan a minimum of 5 hours when maybe you can't in a campground or drive about 19 hours after you deplete them? I also commented about keeping your batteries above freezing with that Xtreme Heater. That's part of your install. Do you have calculated performance numbers or actual experience in that?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:54 PM   #109
Site Team

Moderator's note:
I just had to delete a post that contained no RV content and was confrontational. There are probably others that should go---we may clean up the thread at some point.

Please stay on-topic and collegial.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #110
Platinum Member

On the subject of the film, and directly related to the film's feedback --

This forum does indeed have an open source, nonprofit mentality, like any good forum would. If this were not true, we could all just subscribe to an endless procession of sales pitches.

My husband and I have published in short form most of our lithium design details. The only stuff not in there is the fine-scale information as to what brands of connectors and wires we used (it would take me forever to write that up).

Furthermore, there's a great deal of discussion - at last count, 522 replies, on this thread which my husband hatched during lithium system design.

Furthermore, even our BMS is an open-source product (the Electrodacus).

It's all there, other words. No other motivations than sharing. That is the way it should always be, on forums.

Second point, with a hat tip to one of America's best-known lithium upfitters Lew Farber. He predicted early on that I would eat my words on propane fridges. I was originally a huge fan of them, but then I found out the hard way what kind of real-world limitations they have. Lew nailed that one. Propane fridges may work in some travel scenarios for some owners, but they do not work in ours. Our whole trail of misery on that particular aspect of off-grid van hardening is described here. Unfortunately we had to learn this painful lesson by going through THREE fridges before we finally got it right with the Vitrifrigo that we currently have installed.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #111
Platinum Member

Quote:
The generator is not part of my install . . . . .

You installation is completely dependent upon the Onan which is what people here have rejected. We will all agree to disagree with you.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #112
Platinum Member

The very first post started with an error that was subtly pointed out to Mike Mas. Right away, it gave the impression that he doesn't have a good understanding of the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdleUp - Mike Mas View Post
.................. A few of the key components are a pair of Lithionics Battery 400ah lithium packs (800AH) providing over 10 kilowatts of lithium power.
He must have been referring to kilowatt-hours. If he was actually referring to kilowatts then 10 kilowatts is also an error. Each module alone is capable of 4000 pulse amps for 1 second!

Google shows that Mike Mas repeated the same error over & over. It's on jlwranglerforums.com, forum.solar-electric.com, jeepgladiatorforum.com, rv.net, sprinter-source.com and more.

He might have posted it on 32 sites:

Quote:
....you’re not going to hide my video or articles because I’m on over 32 different sites. If I disappear from here. it will mean nothing........
He grossly exaggerated the amount of space that Leisure Travel used for the original batteries:

Quote:
...the two flooded batteries filled the entire left side of the trunk.
The photo he posted shows the battery box taking up maybe 2.5 cubic feet and no where near filling the "entire left side of the trunk".

This appears to be another exaggeration:

Quote:
...I'm 57 pounds lighter with my lithium upgrade.
We'll assume he's referring to the coach (humor attempt). I'd like to see the calculation. The inverter alone probably weighs 60 pounds. Show us the before and after weigh scale slips as I doubt he weighed every new lug & screw etc. And the project isn't finished yet. More weight gain coming.

Quote:
...........I logged 331 hours on my editor and took 5 months to produce this film and spent a ton of money
5 months and didn't add a cover or shield to protect the electronics and switches etc.

Quote:
.......unique to my system is the 2nd charger which allows me to run the coach on lithium power, while a secondary charger on a separate cord charges the battery to allow additional run time..
Not typical but hardly unique, Google Hybrid Inverter Charger for your next project. It will save weight, space and installation time. The 2nd charger as a low cost DIY alternative to a Hybrid Inverter Charger has been discussed on this forum.

More Mike Mas:

Quote:
.... Rather than be men and discuss your concerns, you instead allow troll reply's such as the goofy trunk space ....
I posted this about the loss of space:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
It's interesting to see how much space you lose when after production modifications like that are done.

It shows the need for practical experience to optimally design and install upgrades else you risk making the coach less desirable when it is time to sell or trade in. Not everyone would want to give up that amount of easily accessible (premium) exterior storage space. If it is a non-ventilated compartment then heat could be a real issue.

The OP should probably post this on a Class C forum for greater response & helpful tips. That coach is clearly not a Class B.
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I think you could regain some of the storage space you lost by putting up a guard or shield. It could be plexiglass if you still need to show it to folks. Put lots of holes for ventilation and some quick release latches.

Some folks would be very nervous putting anything in that space with all that electrical equipment right there. A guard or shield might help alleviate those concerns.

Obviously, a secondary benefit would be to protect the equipment and switches etc. from being hit by items in that compartment that might shift from normal driving or sudden vehicular maneuvers or even an accident.
and I think he called me a troll. Too funny!

Is the stuff he bought available to everyone?

Quote:
Regretfully, you would not be able to purchase my equipment since its OEM and only available to licensed jobbers and manufactures.
Maybe no ...... Or maybe yes:

Quote:
I bought every component of the system through e-commerce like anyone else.
Quote:
..If you guys were not so busy attacking me for no reason, I would be happy to tell you where you can buy every part in my system.
It's entertaining for sure:

Quote:
...you guys should be rejoicing to have such an informative piece on this boring forum...
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #113
Platinum Member

Markopolo thanks for the detailed and over-lengthy reply. LOL All the concerns you outlined in your reply are covered in detail in the film. All the design, components and wiring were professionally designed by myself and further confirmed by factory techs. Furthermore I designed a number of schematics which are applicable to most all RV,s which I intend to share with other users.

As I mentioned, I have a 25+ year career in designing and building lithium powered drones for the military, which require mill spec inspections, so rest assured my system is possibly the most advanced RV lithium system in the industry.

I’ll ask as I did Booster when he incorrectly made claims regarding my heating system which were covered in detail in the film, please review the film carefully as it covers all your concerns.

Thanks Mike
Old 11-02-2019, 06:26 PM   #114
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
You installation is completely dependent upon the Onan which is what people here have rejected. We will all agree to disagree with you.
Thanks for the reply - On all my initial tests to Myrtle Beach and two trips to Roanoke Va. I never started the Onan. Thanks to my design using Propane appliances there is no need for high idle or Onan generators like other present lithium systems.

Thanks Mike

PS thought I would add I’m on a trip right now with my coach heading down to Florida to ride bikes. The event is in an open field I’ll keep you posted!
Old 11-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #115
Platinum Member

Happy to have helped Mike That's what this forum is all about.

Post a photo when you finish the project & that should conclude this topic.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #116
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply - On all my initial tests to Myrtle Beach and two trips to Roanoke Va. I never started the Onan. Thanks to my design using Propane appliances there is no need for high idle or Onan generators like other present lithium systems.

Thanks Mike

PS thought I would add I’m on a trip right now with my coach heading down to Florida to ride bikes. The event is in an open field I’ll keep you posted!

You really need to fill us in on what your power balance is and how it is replenished because it doesn't really seem to add up.

If no generator and no (maybe 40 amps as never stated that I saw) when driving, that leaves only the solar to charge the batteries.

400 watts of solar will give in the range of 120ah a day in good sun conditions, but can be way less than that if not great sun, so say 75ah per day as a relative guess of actual harvest. You would need to average using no more than that 75ah per day, which is not very much, even with all propane for heat, hot water, and frig. You will use that much with a large computer and monitor quite quickly, depending on it's actual draw. Add charging drones and other equipment and you get there even quicker.

I don't think you ever answered davydd's question of what kind of heaters they are and how much power they use.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #117
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
So basically you're not here to share, correct? I mean, what's the purpose of presenting a high-end system with no interest in telling other people how to replicate it?

BTW: In the quoted statements above there is an apparent contradiction. The first does say the equipment used can not be purchased and the second says that you had originally intended to provide the list as well as links to competitive pricing. I did go to Lithionics to check on the batteries and also found the BMS, combox and inboard control panel. Similar with Xantrex. So your second statement appears to be the most correct: You have the information but don't want to share it. That's your decision and you have every right to make that decision. But it renders your OP pretty useless for the majority of us on this forum. Just so you know.

Gallan. Someone else did ask me this same question and I explained that some of my power components were OEM and other were not.

Believe me I have plans to share all my drawings equipment list and pricing to help others who might be planning an installation.

Just passed over the Florida line. 28 degrees when we left and 72 degrees here!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F97E41F7-CA88-4250-96D3-DDAC9F4C4833.jpg (263.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-03-2019, 03:03 AM   #118
Platinum Member

Quote:

Believe me I have plans to share all my drawings equipment list and pricing to help others who might be planning an installation.
I look forward to seeing that.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:21 AM   #119
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I look forward to seeing that.
Me too, especially DC wiring details for 10kW power distribution.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #120
Platinum Member

Hey good morning all - Just a few notes on the system. Parked in an open field in central fla last night with some friends used the lights charged our stuff and watched a few Netflix movies. Since it was in the 50s I just used my space heater on 600 watts. This morning I was still at 94 % SOC. Gotta love Florida it’s now 72 degrees.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6B7DC50B-5914-4885-9AF8-75017E17E024.jpg (386.2 KB, 25 views)