Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2019, 05:10 AM   #141
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
Mike Wendland seems to be giving a lot of credence to unconfirmed reports.
How would you describe your contribution in comparison; being careful or just being worried about your, perhaps vanishing, warranty.

I got we all want Roadtrek to be successful.

Have you seen a good movie the “Ridicule”- https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/ridicule-1996, whatever it takes, just be witty to win either side in any subject, electric cars or global warming or malfeasance.

Best wishes for your camping endeavours.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #142
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Thanks for the link. The comments appear to be tense as people want to clearly understand the author's relationship to Roadtrek.

I will say each and every time they showcased 'their' new Roadtrek, they did not disclose Roadtrek was giving them FREE USE of the RV but presented it as their private RV. They (husband and wife) would characterize the new RV (several) as 'we were ready for an upgrade'. To me that is playing fast and loose with the facts.

MAJOR - Mike And Jennifer's Other Residence

Comment #1
Rachel Delacorte on January 21, 2019 at 3:02 pm
I never understood your relationship with Roadtrek and I still don’t.

Does “they have been one of our sponsors” and “Their relationship with us has been that of a sponsor only” mean they pay you or give you a free Roadtrekreoadtrek? Or They sponsor your trips and you get to expense the places you stay?

Just trying to understand your position with the company.

Reply #1
Mike Wendland on January 21, 2019 at 3:35 pm

I have NO position at the company. Period. I have always been upfront about being sponsored by them, which includes the use of a vehicle. Roadtrek/Hymer has at least two other couples they have similarly sponsored, as do other large RV manufacturers here and abroad. Roadtrek has sponsored us, as has Verizon Wireless, Rad Power Bikes, and various other companies who pay us an advertising fee on the podcast and blog and our various online publications. I work 60-65 hours a week in doing our various reports. This is not just a hobby for me. It is also my business.

Comment #2
Craig Thomas on January 22, 2019 at 5:49 am
I found your response to Rachel’s question defensive and disappointing. While you were upfront in your article about EHG’s sponsorship, you did not disclose until Rachel asked that this includes free use of a Roadtrek that retails for well over $150,000. This makes your insistence of having no “position” with the company a bit disingenuous, since you obviously are receiving significant economic benefits from your relationship with them.

As a journalist, surely you recognize that this creates a conflict of interest that you should fully disclose in your reporting. That said, I think your article was balanced and well done.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #143
Platinum Member

I have not been a regular follower of Wendlund, but would occasionally read some of his stuff when linked from other places. In the beginning, I would certainly agree that he was less than forthright about how tied into Roadtrek he was, as were the other "ambassadors". Lately he did seem to be distancing himself more from Roadtrek, even changing the name of the webiste to not include Roadtrek, which is probably because he figured the ride was over when Thor gets control. It is likely he will have to return his van shortly, unless there is a contract time on it.

It appears now that he feels his best option is to do his old job of investigating reporter to salvage what he can, and seems to be not sugarcoating to Roadtrek's favor like he would in the past sometimes. As is the case for everyone covering or watching what is going on with Roadtrek, none of the information that Wendlund has given could be considered fact at this time, but in general what he has written seems to be in line with most other sources.

There are a lot of folks out there that are basically advertisers for companies but try to convince you they are independent, so it can be hard to tell who is bought and paid for and who isn't. It can also really mess up trying to find out what is going on in a case like the current Roadtrek problems, as you it is hard to sort out who may have unknown ties.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #144
Platinum Member

"I got we all want Roadtrek to be successful."

That's certainly NOT my impression. My impression is that some people are more interested in dancing on its grave. Or, in some cases more correctly, Jim Hammil's grave. What's best for Roadtrek, Roadtrek employees, Roadtrek owners? Not so much.

As for the warranty, that is the least of my concerns. Owning a rig of a defunct company would be a much larger problem.

What's your stake?
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #145
Platinum Member

The internet is loaded with people with hidden agenda's, financial and otherwise. Wendland's agenda was quite open. He was promoting Roadtrek. The menu on Roadtrek's corporate website linked to his web site. Did he discuss the details of that relationship? Not really, but what difference did they make. It was obvious he was a paid shill and he wasn't trying to hide it. This was a business. When talking about how much gas they used, they even mentioned that the cost of their gas was a business expense. Without Roadtrek's support, that business may be a lot harder to sustain. I am sure given the uncertainty, Wendland is trying to figure out a new business model.

As for information, most of his story repeats the unsubstantiated rumors out there and corporate letters. The most interesting thing was the comment from a manager, "We thought we had a successful business." Someone embezzling money does not raise questions about the soundness of Hymer NA as a business. But discovering that the sales figures included a lot of ghost units sold to ghost buyers does. As does a lot full of "sold" inventory that gets hidden when someone comes by to count vehicles. All of which are part of the company rumor mill as reported elsewhere.

That of course is speculation. Like 99% of what is being said. What we actually know is that top management has been suspended, there is an audit in progress, 100 newly hired workers were laid off and Hymer NA's part in the deal with Thor has fallen through.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #146
Platinum Member

Quote:

That's certainly NOT my impression. My impression is that some people are more interested in dancing on its grave. Or, in some cases more correctly, Jim Hammil's grave. What's best for Roadtrek, Roadtrek employees, Roadtrek owners? Not so much.

As for the warranty, that is the least of my concerns. Owning a rig of a defunct company would be a much larger problem.

What's your stake?

Perhaps for someone willing to take a gamble, it could be a great time to buy a Roadtrek!

We bought a brand new 2008 GMC crew cab 4x4 Sierra HD2500 off a dealer lot in the Fall of 2008, just at the peak of speculation as to whether there would continue to be a GM or not.

Several friends told me I was nuts and they could have turned out correct.

As it turned out, we got an amazing price on the truck and loved it! Just traded it in along with our Airstream trailer last September after ten great years of use when we bought our PW.

Whether the rumoured EHGNA scandal is confirmed, or turns out to be some form of fake news, I think I'd be putting my money on Roadtrek somehow landing on its feet when the dust settles and be with us for years to come in one form or another!

Hope so anyway!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #147
Platinum Member

Quote:
My impression is that some people are more interested in dancing on its grave. Or, in some cases more correctly, Jim Hammil's grave.
Not my impression at all. I've not seen a single post expressing a desire for bad things to happen to Roadtrek as a company or it's employees. Quite the opposite.

As for Mr. Hammill. A relative few have expressed they feel he may now be getting what is due. But if he's involved, wouldn't that be just (notice I said if) and best for Roadtrek to have a new management team in place?

Your posts have seemed to be from someone who is personally invested in this story being completely untrue, as if you personally know someone accused. I hope you are at least prepared for the possibility it is true, so that it doesn't strike you too hard if the story pans out that way.

In the beginning of this story, it was not unreasonable to reserve judgement given our current "journalism is dead" state of news. But with subsequent statements by Thor and EHG, this isn't going to turn out like this weeekends Catholic boys MAGA hat wearing story that turned out to be completely wrong and a$s backwards as well.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #148
Platinum Member

Quote:

What's your stake?
What's my stake? I own a 2010 Roadtrek C190P. I have no desire to buy another one from Roadtrek or anyone else, but expect to use this one until one of us dies. I do hope that the Roadtrek company can continue, correct its quality and other problems, and be a good innovative manufacturer. And, of course, I'd like them to be around to supply needed parts to current owners including me, and to honor their warranties (not applicable to me).

As for "dancing on Jim Hammil's grave", yes a lot of us would be happy to do just that. IMHO, he has done a lot of harm to the company, regardless of whether the current fiasco is true or not.
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #149
Platinum Member

I have been reading all the posts on the Facebook pages and here, and the very few posts with grave dancing are from the many people who have had issues with Jim Hammill. While he could be the charming salesman pushing his product, he could also be terribly rude and unnecessarily obnoxious to purchasers with serious issues due to company shortcomings manufacturing said product... making many of us wonder why Hymer didn't replace him a couple years ago.

But I haven't seen anyone... even here where there have always been a number of people who strongly disliked Roadtrek over time. My take on years of reading here is not that anyone wants Roadtrek to die... we want the good old Roadtrek company back. Not going to happen, of course.

Mr Williams has been banging his drum all over FB too with lots of pushback on his individual agenda to stop all discussion because we RT owners have no right to discuss what could happen and what we might do now to protect our investment. That doesn't mean "too hell with the employees at EHGNA." Most of us have had great experiences with the employees and no one wants them harmed. But we all need to look out for ourselves too. For most, our rigs are significant investments. And particularly the many new buyers on FB, who are mostly new RVers need to be aware of the fact that this situation could lead to a range of outcomes... from the rescue by a White Knight to purchase the company and keep it going to the worst case of bankruptcy which means that vaunted 6 year warranty is dead. This in particular is a serious issue for those with the Ecotrek System where getting it repaired could be an expensive nightmare.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #150
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's certainly NOT my impression. ………………
What's your stake?
In just these few posts we see this issue 180 degree apart, have fun in your crusades of electric cars or Roadtrek or whatever else you like to pick for arguing.

What is my stake is, I am too old to seek arguing as pleasure.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #151
Platinum Member

"we RT owners have no right to discuss what could happen"

No one has suggested you don't have a right to speculate. You don't have a right to confuse rumors and speculation as facts or present them to people as such.

Moreover, if you are a Roadtrek owner or employee you are silly to flap your mouth with so few actual facts available. So I have been trying as politely as possible to tell people to shut up until its clear what has really happened. They have a right to be stupid, but its better for all of us if they aren't. They are adding to the damage to everyone else by spreading exaggerated gossip.

There are also a bunch of people with long time axes to grind and no stake in the consequences that are more than willing to help them.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:31 PM   #152
Platinum Member

"In just these few posts we see this issue 180 degree apart"

Of course we do, I have a real stake in the outcome. It appears your only stake is in having your long held grievances vindicated at no real cost to you.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #153
Platinum Member

As far as I know, Ross is new to the Roadtrek world having just bought a 2015 used 8AGM etrek.

Ross was not here when Roadtrek, under Hammill's direction we have to assume as he was boss, blatantly lied about the capabilities of that very vehicle, and then attacked and threatened legal action against anyone who questioned the lies. Those lies were eventually and quietly removed from the Roadtrek pitch, but never admitted to. That same model also has severe problems with battery life due to bad design, that has been proven to be able to be greatly improved by adding a battery balancer, but Roadtrek will not recall and put in balancers, only helping out if owners really make an issue of it.

IMO, many of us do have a low opinion of Hammill, and also in my opinion the feeling is correct. My history is working with production crews, and almost always, they are not the problem in companies that go bad, as it is nearly always management. I truly feel bad for the workers as they are pawns in this whole fiasco, but will suffer the most. I think that very few folks blame Roadtrek as a company for the current issues.

Do I think Hammill should have been fired long ago, yes. Do I think he is capable of doing what has been said, very possibly based on what we have seen in the past. Is he guilty at this point, absolutely not.

If a previous owner hasn't fought the battle to get a balancer installed in Ross's etrek, he will be buying $2500 worth of batteries every few years, most likely. Hopefully, all his defending of Roadtrek will get him some special consideration, as it has with others who befriended Hammill, but I sure wouldn't bet on that at this point.

Ross seems to want nobody but him to be able to have an opinion, and you know what, that just isn't how it works.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #154
Gold Member

I would say Employees have every right to worry about their future, customers who have made a major investment in these products have every right to worry about the warranty and impact on resale value, this is not fake news it's real, egregious, criminal behavior by top management. EH needs to know that customers and employees are very upset.
Glamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:39 PM   #155
Platinum Member

"this is not fake news it's real, egregious, criminal behavior by top management."

No, it isn't. Its rumors. There have been no allegations by Hymer of criminal behavior.

"EH needs to know that customers and employees are very upset. "

Why? Has it occurred to you they are already upset themselves and trying to make things right. Employees best course is to do their job and support one another emotionally in trying times. The best thing customers can do is shut up and wait to see what they do to correct the situation. I am not sure how speculating about bankruptcy is helping. Especially when there is no evidence that is even a remote possibility.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:43 PM   #156
Platinum Member

"As far as I know, Ross is new to the Roadtrek"

Exactly, so unlike a bunch of people here, I don't have a long list of grudges. But you might ask how much credibility you want to give to the opinions of people who do. Especially when they seem to form opinions based on whatever rumor they recently heard. I saw many of those opinions here before I bought my Roadtrek, and discounted them accordingly. I don't think that was a mistake.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #157
Platinum Member

Quote:
"As far as I know, Ross is new to the Roadtrek"

Exactly, so unlike a bunch of people here, I don't have a long list of grudges. But you might ask how much credibility you want to give to the opinions of people who do. Especially when they seem to form opinions based on whatever rumor they recently heard.

If you are referring to my knowledge of past history and "grudges", I would ask you this. "Why would you assume that anyone who has been around long enough to see past history is wrong, and someone who just walked in knows more?"

Do you know the claims that were made about the etrek? Did you see the abusive behavior and threats from Hammill himself and his minions. Did you try to help folks that had eteks with repeated battery issues that had Roadtrek, and Hammill personally, tell them to pound sand? If you can't answer yes to the above questions, you are woefully short of information about how Hammill and Roadtrek under his guidance, conducted business.

These are not grudges, but they are the things that showed many of us that what was going on at Roadtrek under Hammill was not normal, or good. If you are saying they don't exist, I suggest you start searching this and other forums and see what has happened. New eyes are fine, but experience should not be discounted.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:25 PM   #158
Platinum Member

Quote:
"In just these few posts we see this issue 180 degree apart"

Of course we do, I have a real stake in the outcome. It appears your only stake is in having your long held grievances vindicated at no real cost to you.
View your statement in a mirror, based on your desired outcome do you think it could be biased. George OUT regarding your posts.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:25 PM   #159
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Thanks for the link. The comments appear to be tense as people want to clearly understand the author's relationship to Roadtrek. ...
I noticed about a month ago Mike Wendland started adding this to the disclaimers on his YouTube videos.

"We are the official On the Road Ambassadors for the Roadtrek brand and our motorhome is provided for our unlimited use by the Erwin Hymer Group of North America in exchange for the visibility and promotion we provide for the RV Lifestyle."

Best I can tell - it started with this video dated Dec 11, 2018...

Old 01-23-2019, 07:33 PM   #160
Platinum Member

Booster -

I have no doubt that you and your knowledge are valuable. But your anger at Jim Hamill completely clouds your judgment. Whatever happens, it just confirms your judgment about him based on a long history that has nothing to do with the current situation other than that Jim Hamill is involved. I have never met Jim Hamil and never had any dealings with him. He is important to current Roadtrek owners only to the extent he has some future role in Roadtrek that impacts us as current and/or future proud owners of a Roadtrek.