Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2023, 04:17 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Mobile RV repair fail

You've heard the old adage about the cobbler's kids never having shoes?

Well apparently it extends to the Mobile RV repairman's neighbors can't get their van fixed. Last May I moved into a home in Southern Utah. I discovered that my new neighbor across the street owns a mobile RV service company. Great!

Last October I discovered that the fan on my Fantastic Vent no longer works. After chasing it for a while I decided to support the local economy. I walked across the street and knocked on my neighbor's door. Wife answered (middle of the day). I explained my problem and that I would like her hubby to come check it out when he had a minute. No problem, she says. Later that evening he knocks on my door. I show him the problem. He does some troubleshooting and declares the fan motor deceased. Ok, I said. Let's replace it. I'm 67 years old and have balance issues sometimes so getting up on a stepladder next to the van is not what I choose to do. I'd rather pay the man to do the fix. He looks up a replacement vent on his smart phone, quotes me a price and a delivery time and I say "do it".

Three weeks past the quoted delivery time I contact him again to see what's happening. Not sure, he says, I'll check into it when I get back to the shop. That was 4 months ago. Now when I see him, he looks the other way and pretends I'm not there.

No, I'm not going to give his name here. Just wanted to "vent".
RV-there-yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 05:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

FYI: The Fantastic fan on my 97PW suddenly stopped working this summer in Minnesota. You can easily open up the bottom from inside the RV. Wiring is really simple and visible. I found that the thermostat (which we never use) was faulty. Connected the "in" terminal to the "out" terminal with a jumper wire and the fan started right up. I suspected the motor too but it wasn't that at all.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 11:06 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Sorry to hear about your experience. I know I want to keep some distance between my work and my home. I doubt I'd ever accept any paid work from my neighbors. I'm pretty handy, but the chance of some kind of disagreement over the quality of work I was paid to do is too great. I'm happy to help a neighbor with something simple, for free.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 06:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

This site could help finding a not awful repair shop:

https://rvservicereviews.com/
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 03:10 PM   #5
Platinum Member

It is easy to replace the fan motor on most Fantastic Fan and there are lots of youtube videos showing how to do it. They cost about $50 as I recall and take a few minutes to replace. If someone was physically unable to crawl up onto the roof, any high school kid could do the job.

I would hate to own a Class B and not be pretty handy at fixing things. There is always something to fix.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 09:40 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Thanks for the tip. I finally got back out to the van and did as you suggested. Fan works great, nothing wrong with the motor. Thermostat switch is dead. A 2" jumper to bypass the switch and Bob's yer uncle!
RV-there-yet is offline   Reply With Quote