Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2024, 05:17 AM   #1

Default Newbie looking at 1995 - 2005 CLass B: Roadtrek? Pleasureway? Other?

Hello all -

We (wife and I) are new to the idea of a Motor home, and we've talked off and on for years about what we want and how we think we'd use such a thing. I've been looking and I think I see some potentials - but here is what we came up with as general parameters to help you understand:

1) Needs to be easy to maneuver, park, etc. Ideally something you can park in a regular parking space (or close) - so essentially 20-odd feet +/-

2) Needs to have a toilet, shower is a great extra, room for two adults and two doggos.....but room also for a kid or two would be an added bonus (or not....perhaps we don't want to take them, lol)

3) We think short trips are our thing - camping, seeing the sights, going to shows and events - so the RV is a weekend deal, few days at most - not looking for a months long living space

4) Not interested in Class C - Aside from the usual longer length, everyone we know that's ever had one....ever....finds that they fall apart with startling ease. Our (perhaps incorrect) assumption is that a Class B "van" is more robust structurally than an an oversized rectangle bolted to a truck chassis.

We have other criteria, but those main things got me to "class B" and from there, I see a lot of Roadtreks and Pleasure Ways - but aside from that, I'm not sure whats better, worse, which engines, which chassis , and so forth. I do think the "Popular" of the Roadtrek family is the better one for us since the bed is oriented such that you get a full 72 inches head to toe, and you don't scramble over each other (I'm 73" tall) but you lose the extra front seat....which is a bummer. I've also seen Roadtrek 200 - diesels with no back door? 210s - which I think are just bigger? Pleasure-way....which honestly looks like the same thing inside as a Roadtrek.

So - I guess I'm looking for any sort of tips, things to look for maybe in these brands - is there a "best model" or "the 190 was great in the 2000 model year, but a pile of junk by 2002"... I'm looking 1995 - 2005 because that seems to align with our budget - but I have looked at newer ones and....well....the inside looks the same to me. I am more familiar with Chevy, but not "brand loyal" such that I'd walk away from a Dodge - though the transmissions concern me.

Anyway - I'd appreciate any thoughts on these models and year ranges, or other options and brands I may not have discovered.

Thanks!
Treozen2@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 02:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

In the last forty years, we have had three Cs, three Bs and converted one van ourselves.

Our needs are a combination of day trips, weekenders and a few weeks at a time boondocking. We only travel as a twosome and for many years had a furry friend along for the rides.

We bougth a 2007 Roadtrek 210P new ordered out to our specs. We still are driving it, although we also owned a small Class C during those years as well and used it for multi week camping. Now, we only have the RT.

We love the Chevy chassis for a lot of reasons, most of which revolves around the fact that those Chevy vans have been around for a very long time and can be serviced and repaired anywhere in the country. We love our twin bed arrangement, and our RT has an incredible amount of storage space (more than our 23 foot C had, for example).

I think you will find that the Pleasure Ways and Roadtreks made in the years you are looking are both fine pieces of engineering and construction. The fit and finish and design on both stayed pretty much the same for years and were just tweaked and improved a bit from model year to model year.

We owned a 1996 RT 190 on a Dodge prior to the 210P. We got great service on the Dodge, but a lot of folks report some Dodge specific problems on those older vans. In summary, we prefer the Chevy and our 6 L engine will do the job and provide reasonable, real life mileage.

The main concern on older Bs is how they were stored and maintained. By stellar example, ours has lived in a HVAC controlled garage virtually its whole life and looks and acts like a new rig.

Hope this helps you a bit.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 02:47 PM   #3

I prefer 2004C190P and it is standard with 4 -wheel disk brakes.
- 2003-2020 used 6L V8 that has a good reputation
- 2003-2009 used heavy duty 4-speed trans 4L80 with computer control and also has a good reputation. In 2010 it was replaced with a 6-speed 6L90 also computer controlled
justducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 04:25 PM   #4
Platinum Member

For chevy 2003 was the model change year, parts are not hard to find for 2002 and back but more is available for the 2003 and up. Take note a 2003 can be built and registered on a 2002 chassis.

Roadtreks are not all vans, the 200 and 210 are built on Cut Away chassis, think box truck and have much more ground clearance and more room inside.

Other than that there are only 111,000 other things to think about. https://roadtrek.com/brochures/
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:16 AM   #5

Thank you everyone for the feedback! I'll add this all into my "things to consider" list. I am more partial to Chevy myself, but that comes from familiarity on cars - I've worked on classic cars for a good long time, multiple brands, but I'm most familiar with Chevrolet - not that my classic car work is necessarily directly transferable to an RV chassis, but I guess there's a built in bias.
Old 03-10-2024, 04:45 PM   #6

Default Class B questions

I own a 2021 Airstream Interstate 19 on a Mercedes van chassis. I really like the way it drives and parks in a regular parking space. However, there is only one bed, but it is nearly the size of a king bed. My wife thinks the RV is too small because we keep the bed made and there is nowhere to sit when we eat. (The bed is hard to make and tear down.) She sits on the end of the bed and I sit in the passenger seat. Airstream makes a longer version, but it has essentially the same floor plan.

We are probably going to start renting hotel rooms and use the RV as a travel vehicle.

There may be some vans that can sleep 4, but you will be very crowded. Winnebago has a pop top, if your kids can sleep together.

Bottom line from my perspective is that you have to make compromises in your van selection. Short and narrow outside equals small inside.

My daughter has a 30 foot Winnebago Adventurer Class A. This accommodates her family of 4, but just barely. They are looking to sell and buy a Super C.

Hopes this helps.
jerrysimps@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 06:34 PM   #7
Silver Member

All I can add is that we purchesed a 2006 Chevy Roadtrek 210 Popular and are loving it. I wouldn't consider it for 4 people though. What you could do is pack a tent for the kids and you sleep inside the RV. Roadtrek does/did? make a Versitale model with 4 captains chairs with the front 2 being able to turn around and they sold a folding bed to fit across the seats that could sleep 2 kids. Hope that helps and let us know what you decide,
topwop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 04:00 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Well lots of good advice here so I'll briefly add my experience. Five years ago we bought our 2002 Dodge RT 190 Popular and entered the RV world as newbies. I'd tent camped and camped with a pop up trailer, but no interest in RV's. Some 55,000 miles later we are amazed at this serendipitous purchase. The Dodge is a 3500 so it drives like a one ton truck, I guess. Easy to park and get around in. Easy to get fixed however be aware any old RV will need repairs. Chevys may drive better, I don't know. the 190 P will sleep three and we have traveled with our. teen age granddaughters (one at a time) but it is not ideal. Even thought the 210 can sleep four, yikes, lots of patience needed by the two sleeping on converted seats. Also I'd add be ready to fix minor things yourself and many of these older Roadtreks lose paint. You have probably heard it before but I will add it would be wise to rent something a few times to get the feel of what you want or don't want.
All the best in figuring out what is best for you.
Safe travels.
sehsteve@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 03:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehsteve@gmail.com View Post
Some 55,000 miles later we are amazed at this serendipitous purchase. The Dodge is a 3500 so it drives like a one ton truck, I guess. Easy to park and get around in. Easy to get fixed however be aware any old RV will need repairs. Chevys may drive better, I don't know. the 190 P will sleep three and we have traveled with our. teen age granddaughters (one at a time) but it is not ideal. Even thought the 210 can sleep four, yikes, lots of patience needed by the two sleeping on converted seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topwop View Post
All I can add is that we purchesed a 2006 Chevy Roadtrek 210 Popular and are loving it. I wouldn't consider it for 4 people though. What you could do is pack a tent for the kids and you sleep inside the RV. Roadtrek does/did? make a Versitale model with 4 captains chairs with the front 2 being able to turn around and they sold a folding bed to fit across the seats that could sleep 2 kids. Hope that helps and let us know what you decide,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrysimps@aol.com View Post
There may be some vans that can sleep 4, but you will be very crowded. Winnebago has a pop top, if your kids can sleep together.

Bottom line from my perspective is that you have to make compromises in your van selection. Short and narrow outside equals small inside.
Thank you all - yes we've talked a bit more and we (selfishly, perhaps) like the sound of a Popular better. As some of you mentioned, the "beds" up front in the versatile would really take some patience and sacrifice....and um....I don't know if you all have teenagers or not, but neither "patience" nor "sacrifice" feature much . We also think the bed is a little longer and oriented better in the Popular - I'm 73" tall, and I think the Popular tops out at 72", but the Versatile is a few inches shorter (so I've read) given that the rear bed is side to side, vs front to back in terms of sleeping orientation. So, between the fact that we're not sure the kids will want to go with us anyway, and certainly will complain about the accommodations - we figure might as well get one that suits us two, and kids be damned! ....or something like that.

The only alternative would be a smaller class C - but that then starts to eliminate the ease of parking, driving, etc. I feel that we'd be less likely to use a larger RV.