Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2023, 04:15 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default No propane tank gauge - Mopeka or other products ?

Who would have thought that a brand new $ 1500 propane tank made by Manchester in 2023 has no gauge ?
I am pretty consistent with my lp consumption and usually fill the tank within the same time interval but it is necessary at propane filling station to motor possible overfill because even with auto stop some "skillful" techs manage to " bypass" it.
Anyway I would like to have a gauge because pouring hot water is not my thing )):
Anyone tried Mopeka or other monitors?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231217_065544.jpg (111.7 KB, 12 views)
RT1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 05:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT1997 View Post
Who would have thought that a brand new $ 1500 propane tank made by Manchester in 2023 has no gauge ?
I am pretty consistent with my lp consumption and usually fill the tank within the same time interval but it is necessary at propane filling station to motor possible overfill because even with auto stop some "skillful" techs manage to " bypass" it.
Anyway I would like to have a gauge because pouring hot water is not my thing )):
Anyone tried Mopeka or other monitors?

I think that you can just use the old gague and snap it on to that hexagonal fitting on the left side of your picture (it should come off of the old tank easily but be careful not to break the plastic tabs).

I think this is the one here, but you should check the part numbers:

https://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Ta.../dp/B005GY9UTC

Or, you can get one with a remote sensor and set up a monitor inside:

https://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Ta.../dp/B003D3WPGS

Also, I think that your tank has an Overfill Prevention Device in the fill fitting so it should not be possible to overfill, but there is also that little spit valve to the left of the fill fitting that can be used to provide an additional safeguard when filling.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 07:52 PM   #3
Gold Member

Thank you, RT-NY !
It was very helpful.I am going to order that snap-on simple gauge ( the remote one is not only overkill for my purpose but also requires fiddling with wires, not to mention energy consumption that I do not want to monitor).
It should fit right though there is no part number. But Amazon usually put notes if there are any restriction.And it is sold by Amazon - no problem to return.
About overfill protection- you would be surprised how many "geniuses" are out there.
After installation I had to fill in propane in the tank and go back to RV place for the final check.The U-Haul guy used my professional extention I got 7 years ago from Ferrell Gas and after the flow stopped unscrewed their extention and the propaine kept coming from inlet.He was freaking out,called for help from the store and when the other guy told him to just unscrew my extention he finally did.
I don't know how did that happen but the rubber ring from the tank inlet ended up at the opposit side of the tray.
The guy claimed to have experience (I asked him in advance) and told me it was my extension to blame.Never for 7 years I had any problems with it,not to mention that Ferrell Gas ordered it specifically for my RT ( the part is US factory made with all identifying numbers on it).
It is probably just my luck but I am not doing another fill without the gauge.

P.S. It seems to be the current trend with manufacturers - to sell appliances and such without important parts : a fridge without a door panel,propane tank without a meter.
I am looking at moonroof of my car and thinking that I was lucky it had not come with plastic disposable cover and I did not need to order the real roof top )):
Old 12-21-2023, 03:52 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I received a new tank from Manchester that didn't have a gauge. I unsnapped the gauge from the old tank and snapped it in place on the new tank, then made the wires connection. Very easy.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:11 AM   #5
Gold Member

Thank you.I ordered a simple gauge from Amazon.It is inexpensive. I might understand Dometic who sells the fridge $ 138 less without a door panel to make it under $ 2000 (barely).
But not adding $20 to the price of propane tank and cause a big inconvenience for customers - it is hard for me to understand.
Anyway, my rant is over.Pretty soon I will install the gauge and be a happy camper ( pun intended )):