Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2020, 06:17 PM   #1

Default Pleasure Way Tofino 2021 camper vans

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I purchased a brand new 2021 Pleasure Way Tofino camper van 2 months ago and my wife and I already put almost 6000 miles on it traveling in California, Oregon, Washington and Idaho states. I must say that I am very happy with it as it did everything that Pleasure way said it would do. But I ran into a problem the first time I needed to service the car. I am writing this to find out if this is an "elephant in the closet" or am I having randomly bad experiences one after the other.

Well, this car is built on a 2020 RAM 1500 Promaster. Tofino recommends a tire rotation at 5000 miles. As I needed to drive this car to Florida in late September, I thought I should make a service appointment with a RAM dealer. I live in Berkeley, CA, a location that is central to many tire shops and RAM dealers. The first appointment I made with a RAM service center in Concord, called me a few days later and told me they did not service camper vans. After conversation with 3 more RAM Service Centers in the area, I finally managed to talk to the service manager in Richmond, CA who agreed to service the car provided that it did not have a sewer system. I assured him that it did not. My wife and I drove about 10 miles at 7:30 this morning for the appointment. The service manager looked at the car and said that there was no way he could lift the car without damaging it. I even had him to talk to the Pleasure Way rep. directly on the phone. But, he was not willing to service the car.

If this car cannot be serviced in any RAM dealer, then the official RAM service warranty for it is not valid as advertised. Isn't this a problem? After trying 4 RAM dealers, they all recommended that I took it to a tire dealer like Good Year. We went to a Good Year. They said their rack was broken. We visited two other tire dealers. They both said they could not lift the car with their racks (this is the smallest RV one can buy for god's sake!).

Finally, we found a tire dealer called Dan's Tire on Gillman in Berkeley. They said they could do it. We left the car there and came back home. We spent the entire morning looking for a place to service this car in a smoke-filled atmosphere wearing N95 masks! This is our first RV. No one and nowhere had informed us that there would be an elephant in the closet like this with an RV that has excellent reputation for quality and service otherwise.

Best,

Vehbi Tasar
vehbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Number one... you don't have to use a lift to rotate the tires. It can be done with jacks as has been done with all my various RVs over the years.

Number two... I just had it done at my local Ram dealer in MN with no problem. I have talked to the 3 Ram dealers around me in the Minneapolis area and all three service managers said that they could lift my converted van with no problems. The dealer in Mesa AZ also had the van up on their lift looking for a coolant leak with no problems.

I would call the FCA help line which is quite good at whipping their dealers into compliance. The phone number is 800-111-6768
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:22 PM   #3

Thank you! This is helpful and reassuring. Yes, the dealers here complained about running boards. They said they were afraid their racks would damage the running boards. No one offered to do it for me with a jack. But the tire place had no problems rotating the tires. They said they always lift heavier Mercedes campers.

Vehbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Number one... you don't have to use a lift to rotate the tires. It can be done with jacks as has been done with all my various RVs over the years.

Number two... I just had it done at my local Ram dealer in MN with no problem. I have talked to the 3 Ram dealers around me in the Minneapolis area and all three service managers said that they could lift my converted van with no problems. The dealer in Mesa AZ also had the van up on their lift looking for a coolant leak with no problems.

I would call the FCA help line which is quite good at whipping their dealers into compliance. The phone number is 800-111-6768
Old 09-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
Platinum Member

4 Ram dealers & 2 tire shops couldn't figure out how to rotate the tires ......... that's mind boggling!

You know what difficulties to expect now Vehbi. Future service needs may require some phoning ahead but it won't be as much of a problem as you'll be expecting them to say "we can't do it". You'll soon have a list of capable shops that can do what you ask of them.

I'm guessing this is your first RV so Congratulations! Sometimes, the words "now you can start fixing it" follow the congratulations but Pleasure Way is one of the better manufacturers so you're already at an advantage compared to some others.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
Platinum Member

One has to wonder if they have damaged them in the past and had to pay out to fix them. One big bill could do that to you, or maybe the insurance company got into the situation to push the matter.

The fact that it is multiple dealers and shops would indicate the possibility of it being insurance related, too.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
Gold Member

My Ram dealer can't lift the bus all the way either. He does everything just lifting the front end. I go to the local Wheel Works to have the tires rotated. Or if I am having something else done at the dealers I have them do it.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:30 PM   #7

Thanks for posting about this! I have a 2020 Lexor FL on exactly the same chassis and I'll be looking to get its first servicing done in the next month or so. Good to hear about your experiences which will have me better prepared.
--Mark
mhsundstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #8

Yes, this is our first RV and I automatically assumed that any RAM dealer would greet us with open arms (our previous car was a Lexus- ha ha ha)

This may be a local California problem in this area with RAM dealers. I do not know. We spent quite a bit of time with the service manager at Hilltop Auto Plaza in Richmond, CA. I even got his business card even though I don't know what to do with it. This is because he had assured us on the phone that he would service the car if it did not have a sewer line, and of course, it did not have a sewer line. I got Marshall at Tofino talk to him too. Marshall explained to him that he was the manufacturer and every change in the car had been approved by Chrysler/RAM. He was a polite man. He treated us with courtesy and respect in spite of all this hassle we gave him. But he was adamant that he could not service the car.

I suppose having an RV is an adventure. We will now drive it back to Florida to escape from the fires and smoke of California. Of course, having hurricanes is an adventure too!

Thank you again. I appreciate all your responses.

Vehbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
One has to wonder if they have damaged them in the past and had to pay out to fix them. One big bill could do that to you, or maybe the insurance company got into the situation to push the matter.

The fact that it is multiple dealers and shops would indicate the possibility of it being insurance related, too.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vehbi View Post
Yes, this is our first RV and I automatically assumed that any RAM dealer would greet us with open arms (our previous car was a Lexus- ha ha ha)

This may be a local California problem in this area with RAM dealers. I do not know. We spent quite a bit of time with the service manager at Hilltop Auto Plaza in Richmond, CA. I even got his business card even though I don't know what to do with it. This is because he had assured us on the phone that he would service the car if it did not have a sewer line, and of course, it did not have a sewer line. I got Marshall at Tofino talk to him too. Marshall explained to him that he was the manufacturer and every change in the car had been approved by Chrysler/RAM. He was a polite man. He treated us with courtesy and respect in spite of all this hassle we gave him. But he was adamant that he could not service the car.

I suppose having an RV is an adventure. We will now drive it back to Florida to escape from the fires and smoke of California. Of course, having hurricanes is an adventure too!

Thank you again. I appreciate all your responses.

Vehbi
Being adamant he should have a clear reason, why he didn’t share it with you. Is it possible that Tofino’s LPG tank and gas lines are preventing using the standard lift points?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #10

Yes, he kept saying that his technician was afraid of damaging those. I don't now what "those" were. He mentioned running boards and other stuff. Later on, the Good Year tire guy explained to us that you needed a different kind of hydraulic lift to avoid those things so that it won't damage the car. He said his shop had only one such lift that was broken and recommended a few other tire places. We got lucky with the second one he recommended when my wife kept saying we ought to give up and go back home (smoke was horrible that day).

I do not know how it is possible that all these huge RAM/Chrysler/Jeep dealers don't have a rack to lift this car without damaging it. It may be a liability issue as mentioned earlier. Marshall also said we ought to go to a tire shop.

Vehbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Being adamant he should have a clear reason, why he didn’t share it with you. Is it possible that Tofino’s LPG tank and gas lines are preventing using the standard lift points?
Old 09-12-2020, 09:36 PM   #11
Platinum Member

When I got my Chevy Express-based class b 3 yrs. ago, I visited the local Chevy dealer to inquire about an oil change and here is how the conversation went.

Me: I need an oil change on an Express 3500 motor home.

Service Rep: We can't handle rigs over 10ft tall.

Me: Great. My van is only 9'3".

Service Rep: Our rack won't handle more than 10,000 lbs.

Me: Great. My van is under 9600 lbs.

Service Rep: We can't work on chassis areas modified by the RV maker.

Me: Great. I just need an oil change and all van modifications begin aft of the engine.

I can't even recall the nonsensical conversation that ensued, but they refused to work on it. I later found a local garage willing to do any future engine work, Discount Tire did my tire install, and a local oil change business has a high door and pit, so no lifting required.

Of course, my van has no remaining factory warranty. Still, I understand how frustrating it can be.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:17 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vehbi View Post
Yes, he kept saying that his technician was afraid of damaging those. I don't now what "those" were. He mentioned running boards and other stuff. Later on, the Good Year tire guy explained to us that you needed a different kind of hydraulic lift to avoid those things so that it won't damage the car. He said his shop had only one such lift that was broken and recommended a few other tire places. We got lucky with the second one he recommended when my wife kept saying we ought to give up and go back home (smoke was horrible that day).

I do not know how it is possible that all these huge RAM/Chrysler/Jeep dealers don't have a rack to lift this car without damaging it. It may be a liability issue as mentioned earlier. Marshall also said we ought to go to a tire shop.

Vehbi
I would suggest to get under the van with your van manual and mark with a bright paint lift points. Good for future and perhaps you will discover why folks at Chrysler refused to lift your Tofino. A lot of folks with Sprinters mark their lift points to prevent using wrong spots for lifting resulting in damage.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 02:42 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I must be incredibly lucky.

My Ford rig was handled by Ford dealers without a peep. My first Chevy Class C, the car dealer sent me to the GMC truck service center and they handled everything without a peep. (they never lifted it, but used floor jacks, which of course they had) My Chevy 1500 Class B was handled without a peep from the dealers in Minnesota and Arizona. And the same with my current Promaster.

Not to mention that my RV dealer is fantastic... never a reason to complain in 15 years.

As soon as I figure out how I have managed this, I will share it with all...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:09 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I must be incredibly lucky.

Not to mention that my RV dealer is fantastic... never a reason to complain in 15 years.

As soon as I figure out how I have managed this, I will share it with all...
If I were you, I'd keep quiet and enjoy the ride. Don't jinx it.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #15
Silver Member

I'm surprised you ran into some much trouble. I have the Travato 59K, which is based on the 3500 Ram chassis, and I have not had any problems having it serviced by local Dodge Ram dealers. The only issue I have is that vehicle factory recalls can only be serviced by a dealer certified to handle the 3500 chassis (not all Ram dealers are certified for the 3500).

You might look for a dealer that is equipped to handle the 3500 chassis, as they can certainly lift a vehicle the size of your Pleasure Way Tofino camper van.

Howard
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I would suggest to get under the van with your van manual and mark with a bright paint lift points. Good for future and perhaps you will discover why folks at Chrysler refused to lift your Tofino. A lot of folks with Sprinters mark their lift points to prevent using wrong spots for lifting resulting in damage.
This is a great idea!
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I think it might simply be some California Shops being gun shy of lawsuits.

Typically with my 05 Roadtrek Versatile I use BIG O Tire as I have known the family for 20 years but at one location, their Alignment lift isn't strong enough to lify 9400-600lbs even though its listed as 10,000 lbs.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 09-14-2020, 07:37 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Forgot to add - at least on the Versatile, the issue for changing tires, etc is the plastic ground effects.

Solved easily as others have said with floor jacks.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #19
Platinum Member

I've owned 3 Ford, 1 Workhorse (GM) and 1 Sprinter motorhome and never had a problem getting service. But I'm sure there will be a first time. I may call my local RAM dealer to see what they say before purchasing a Tofino, which is what I'm interested in.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Thinking further, the other thing I would point out to the dealer, and RAM, is this. They SELL their ProMasters prepared for RV conversion and/or as cutaway chassis' for RV conversions! Their website says NOTHING about not honoring a warranty for their chassis once they become motorhomes. Also - ProMasters are work trucks which are converted in other ways as well.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote