Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2020, 04:41 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Replace Diesel Fuel Filter?

Our 2018 ERA on Sprinter chassis has 12,800 miles. My Mercedes dealer suggests I need to replace the diesel fuel filter. That seems premature to me as I think it is supposed to be at 20,000 miles. Is time an issue? By the way, he quoted me $230 for parts and $280 labor. I know it’s a Mercedes but wow that’s seems expensive.
theHueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHueg View Post
Our 2018 ERA on Sprinter chassis has 12,800 miles. My Mercedes dealer suggests I need to replace the diesel fuel filter. That seems premature to me as I think it is supposed to be at 20,000 miles. Is time an issue? By the way, he quoted me $230 for parts and $280 labor. I know it’s a Mercedes but wow that’s seems expensive.
You should do exactly what the MB Maintenance Manual that came with your sprinter says to do. Varies by model year, but our MY2014 calls for a fuel filter replacement every "B" service, which in my case is 30,000 miles. Information of this type from a dealer is often less than worthless.

Whether time (as opposed to mileage) matters for maintenance intervals is a controversial topic. I tend to think that it does not, but some model years (but not others) do specify such intervals. If it does matter, it is surely due to fluid degradation. I can't imagine a fuel filter degrading merely due to time passing.

As for cost, Sprinter fuel filters do tend to be expensive, due to the integrated 'water in fuel' detector. I just replaced mine. Cost $52 from Amazon. Took 30 minutes. Quite trivial. There are many YouTube videos to show you how. If you have a V6 Sprinter, there apparently is one small issue--there is a little T fitting on the fuel return line that can be easily broken, or so I hear. My I4 engine doesn't have one.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:01 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Most mileage based service intervals should be accelerated for such low mile usage, especially fluids, which can degrade over time. But I don't think that is an issue with the fuel filter. With such low mileage you'll benefit from the dealer inspection. The best maintenance item for a Mercedes diesel is to run it! They don't like to sit. If not traveling, find excuses to put some miles on it every couple weeks, at least.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzar View Post
Most mileage based service intervals should be accelerated for such low mile usage, especially fluids, which can degrade over time.
Lots of people believe that, and it may well be true. But I have put a lot of time into seeking actual evidence that there is science behind this belief. I have had very little luck.

There are lots of superstitions in the automotive world that survive to this day--even among manufacturers. Elastomers degrade over time. Oil and its additives--not so clear.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:06 AM   #5
Platinum Member

You can probably get the fuel filter done at a Freightliner service center (they are owned by Mercedes) cheaper than that. I replace mine every 20,000 miles.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:50 PM   #6

My experience with my 2017 Era at our local Mercedes dealer is that EVERYTHING done service wise is double or more. I was charged $195 for the fuel filter part and $200 for the labor. The owners manual does say every 20,000 miles for a fuel filter replacement. The filter has a heating element to it for cold weather and is one reason the filter is so expensive. Also, the owners manual states there is an idiot light indicator in the instrument cluster to warn when the fuel filter is beginning to get fouled or otherwise past service life.
KYRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 05:49 PM   #7
Platinum Member

This is not hard for the DIY person. The filter does have a water sensor but it comes off and does not have to be replaced if it is still working. You just buy filter without sensor and insert it into the new filter. They come with new gaskets for the sensor and new bleed valve. However it is essential that you use German parts and not aftermarket. They cost twice what an aftermarket filter costs, but way less than one with the sensor. I used an aftermarket filter first time and soon after got water in fuel alarm every time I started the engine. After doing the bleeding off the water drill a few time and not seeing any water I learned that shutting off and restarting made the light go away.

My diesel mechanic said try a genuine German filter. I used this Mann filter and the problem went away.(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DRJNLQ/).
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:31 PM   #8
Bronze Member

That’s a pretty steep cost. Although I don’t have a MB, I do have a 2007 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins. I generally change the fuel filter each year, usually before the winter season. My independent mechanic charges me $120 total. I know I could probably DYI it, but I get it done in conjunction with the oil change.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:27 PM   #9

That charge you were quoted is highway robbery! You can change the filter yourself. It is easy to do. It is under the air filter which can be removed by taking out a few screws. Just watch the You Tube videos.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:01 PM   #10
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHueg View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of Sprinter maintenance. According to our 2011 chassis manual, every time there is an A or B service, it should include a fuel filter replacement. If you are not confident in replacing it yourself, that price might be a little high, but not much. (I remember here at Daytona Beach Mercedes-Benz the labor was for 1-and-a-1/2 hours at $165/hr to replace the fuel filter.) To find an independent that would work on your ERA would be the next best thing between between doing it yourself and having a Sprinter mechanic do it. However, in Daytona area no independent will touch them, but in Las Vegas we found Frank's, but they are almost as expensive as Mercedes-Benz Sprinter service there. Good Luck

Ray B.
2012 Pleasure Way Plateau TD
Ormond-by-the-Sea, Florida
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:41 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of Sprinter maintenance. According to our 2011 chassis manual, every time there is an A or B service, it should include a fuel filter replacement.
Mercedes has been all over the place on fuel filter maintenance intervals. Yours says every service, which back then was 10K miles, I believe. My MY2014 calls for 30K miles, independent of the maintenance cadence. MY2015 changed that to 20K miles. It is all pretty random. I believe that it is now simply sensor-based.

I am generally a big advocate for doing exactly what the manual says when it comes to maintenance (no more, no less). In this case, however, it seems clear that there is very little actual content in these recommendations, or they wouldn't be bouncing around so much. Fuel filters are not the most critical item in the maintenance canon. If they clog, they will affect performance but are unlikely to do further damage (unless the WIF sensor fails, which would be bad). This isn't one of the items I lose a lot of sleep over, and I am comfortable with 30K.

I am a little surprised that you have trouble finding somebody to change the filter. This is not MB exotica--it is not materially different from any other engine. Any corner wrencher can do it. The MB dealer prices are often (but not always) ridiculous.