Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 11:34 PM   #1

Default Replace waterheater. Pleasureway excel

I have a 2003 Pleasureway Excel. The waterheater needs replacement. Does it have to come out from the inside?. That will mean pulling the bed too.

Can it be done from the outside?
Jworth914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:34 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jworth914 View Post
I have a 2003 Pleasureway Excel. The waterheater needs replacement. Does it have to come out from the inside?. That will mean pulling the bed too.

Welcome to the forum Jworth!

Although I've had to work on the exterior of my water heater, I've never removed one. Youtube is your friend. Also, maybe you can search for the installation manual for your model.

But if you can provide the brand of your water heater, someone else here may know.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:07 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Go to the site of the mfg and do a search for the installation manual for your model. That should give you the information you need to reverse the process.
Good luck.

PS I just replaced the relief valve on mine since it was dripping. Not sure what's ailing yours.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:37 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have a PW Lexor TD ( not an excel)

my water heater is under the driver side bed platform which just lifts up

stored under is the crank and support for the awning and also the tire jack so my bed platform is made/meant to be easily removed

under the other bed are all the electrics and a storage area

but I'm not sure if the excel has similar or different layout

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:32 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Water Heater Removal

Usually the older water heaters are removed from the outside as there is a flange on the outside that the water flows over when draining the tank or changing the anode. Very likely flange is caulked and you will need to cut caulking with a sharp utility knife but be careful with van body paint as PW and others tended to paint van after the heater install and the caulking may be painted.

You may be able to replace from outside but the job probably will be easier by pulling the bed for getting to water and gas fittings unless you are a circus contortionist.

George from Humbleroad on Youtube has a video on replacing water heater in a PleasureWay Plateau if you want to see something similar.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:38 AM   #6

I changed the water heater in our 2006 Excel TS this spring.
I removed it from the outside. I removed the cushions from the sofa to gain access to the plumbing.
The hardest part was removing the flange on the outside.
It has lots of sealant holding it on.
Undo the propane line and slip it through the opening as you pull the heater out.
Mine heater was hard to get out of the opening because the previous owner let it freeze full of water and the tank was swollen and split.
Gimblerotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jworth914 View Post

I have a 2018 PW Lexor TS. My Truma water heater was replaced last year under warranty (severe leaking from a welded spot). I actually watched the RV Repair Technician pull the old one, and replace it with the brand new one all from the outside. He obviously went under the Fridge inside to close off some water flow, but besides that, everything else happened in the external water heater hatch which is located outside just beneath my fridge. It looked pretty straightforward. Good luck!

Tags
pleasureway excel, water heater