Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2023, 08:31 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Great info on your epic propane tank adventure! I'm looking forward to hearing about the final installation.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:44 PM   #42
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
Ah, I see. I bet, it's going to fit perfectly because I would think that Manchester fabricated the tank itself following the original spec but just used a different tray (which I think is attached later). And you still have the fittings protected on the left side and below -- I don't think the right side is a major issue unless your drive very fast in reverse!
When I asked Mobilife if they can get a custom made tank
for RT 170 1997 they told me that it WAS a custom made tank for this RT.
Not sure why it is not exact (tray) but could be to fit also 1994-96 RT.May be the owners of those will comment some day.

Driving very fast in reverse?
RT goes for Roadtrek, not a race track.Or not..?

Tom F -epic is understatement.I hope after that I will not be looking for my own parts replacement.

I will definitely post all installation details.I hope there will be very little.
RT1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:18 PM   #43
Gold Member

I found out today that what I considered the worst case scenario ( about $ 500) most likely would be the best.
The procedure requires not only removing the tray but also the driver's seat and the "pad" under it and cutting the carpet since the bolts holding the tank are located under the seat.And the time to do it could be 8 or even more hours.
Roadtrek in Canada confirmed the necessity of removing the seat.The procedure could take less hours.But the tech never worked on RT 170 1997 before. and could only estimate the time.If 8 h the cost will be $ 1280. The tech has 30+ years of experience and the place is well known for their honesty.So there is a hope that it will take less time.
We scheduled appointment next week because I want it to be done in one day.Will post the outcome.

P.S.Not sure if I would not be tempted to return the tank if I had bought it in a local place.
Most likely I would still keep it.And not only because of the hassle of shipping it back to Canada,including paperwork for customs and possible money loss.But since the tank is 26 years old and I intend to keep this RV with very low mileage and good condition for a while it does make sence to get a new tank.
It is not an easy expense for me.But it would not be cheaper 5 years or more later.
Old 11-28-2023, 04:10 AM   #44
Platinum Member

THe message here is if you are trying to keep an old RV on the road you need to learn to do your own work.

Start slowly with small projects, involve mechanically minded friends and other RVers, there is a lot of free help out there and some of it even knowledgeable.

As an example start trying to solve a problem in a campground and you will soon have more help than you want. Some carry an amazing tool supply.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 01:25 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT1997 View Post
I found out today that what I considered the worst case scenario ( about $ 500) most likely would be the best.
The procedure requires not only removing the tray but also the driver's seat and the "pad" under it and cutting the carpet since the bolts holding the tank are located under the seat.And the time to do it could be 8 or even more hours.
Sorry to hear that it is so complicated. It's much easier in the 1999 model - I guess that is why they moved the tank to the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
THe message here is if you are trying to keep an old RV on the road you need to learn to do your own work.
This is true, I think -- something always needs fixing in a twenty year old RV and it's not easy to find people who know how to fix what needs fixing or who can do it at a reasonable price. Fortunately, there are a lot of very helpful videos on sites like youtube.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 03:17 PM   #46
Gold Member

Some work on my RT was done exactly that way - skillful people, youtube help. Good job at reasonable price .
But propane tank -I need a piece of mind about safety
and also the "official installation "papers to show those...(fill in the blancs) business owners who chose not fill in propane in "old " tanks.
According to Roatrek rep. in Canada tanks can be recertified.
But as I said,it would not help to argue...
Old 11-28-2023, 05:40 PM   #47
Gold Member

Mobilife RV tech called me back today.
He is the one who works on Roadtreks and is experienced in propane tank installation,including RT 170 1997.
He said it took him 4 hours to do the job.And great news - the tray can be put back!
In Canada they even fill the tank with propane after installation.
The guy was super nice like all the people in Mobilife RV.
Frankly speaking I did not expect the call back.Because he knew that I was not going to drive to Canada and use their service.But he gave me full description of the process over the phone.
That's how smart businesses acquire lifelong customers.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:02 PM   #48
Gold Member

The job took about 5 hours.I was lucky to get very efficient and extremely honest techs from Sonrise RV .
I am planning to do all my projects there.They really care Asked me to fill the tank with propane and come back for the final test.
The business is located in North County San Diego.About 1 mile from San Marcos Costco.

P.S. 1.The spelling is correct ,2nd letter- O.
2. Total cost of the tank replacement was about $2500.