Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2023, 10:12 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Roadtrek 170 propane tank swap time

Anyone had propane tank changed in Roadtrek 170 1997 at RV place?
Need to know the time it will take to do it.
The reason I am asking is that the tech who is going to do the job told me over the phone it might take 4 hours.
He is experienced but looks like never worked on Roadtreks.I am still waiting for the new tank to arrive so before I go to the appointment for the service I need to have some idea of the labor time.Already spent $ 1500 on the tank.So need to estimate the cost of labor.Unfortunately I do not have much choice for the place to service my RV (most places that serve older vehicles are way too far).I would really appreciate if you share your experience.
Thank you in advance.
RT1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 10:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

If it is the same as the 1999 Roadtrek 170, then it is just a matter of disconnecting three hoses (fill, vapor, spit-valve) and the gauge sender and ground. Getting the tank out requires removing four bolts and supporting the tank as it lowers. It could be done in less than one hour.

But, if it has never been removed since 1997 then any of these could be difficult or impossible to remove without damage and this might require fabricating or welding on a new bolt or bolts (two of the bolts are welded on and two are removeable and hang from the frame), which could take a lot of time.

If the new tank has valves already in place, but they have to be reoriented so that the existing hoses will fit or if new hoses have to be fabricated to fit the new valve orientation that would also take time.

If new tank doesn't have the valves already in place (though I would expect that it does), then the old valves would have to be transferred over or if, they were damaged in the removal process, replaced.

So, I guess this is all to say that there are a lot of unknowns. If all goes well, it could be done in an hour. If not, it could easily take four hours or more.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 06:56 PM   #3
Gold Member

Thank you for the responce.
The new tank is for 1994-1997 Dodge model .It goes under the driver side inside some kind of a tray.That tray I think will make it more difficult and more time consuming for a "newbee" to work around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231006_083322.jpg (116.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 10-27-2023, 07:48 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I see that it is a different tank from my 1999, but it looks to be in excellent shape. I wonder why you are replacing it at all.

But, in any case, given that the tank is in good shape and there are fewer and simpler hoses/connections, I think the job might be very easy to do. It looks like you will only have to disconnect that one hose with a wrench -- it looks clean so I expect it will come off easily (though it might be reverse threaded). From the picture of the tank on mobiliferv (https://www.mobiliferv.ca/rv-parts/r...k-hm-384/6338/), it looks like it will just be held in by four bolts in brackets at the four "corners." I am not sure what you mean by a "tray" but the picture shows a metal plate that is part of that tank which I think is there to protect the fittings - you wouldn't need to do anything with that. I am thinking that an RV place may well be able to do it in an hour or less.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:48 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I hope you have been through the drill on why tank needs to be replaced? Far too often we see people replacing perfectly good tanks! Disclaimer, places in Canada seem to have some odd rules on tanks, Which make no sense to me!
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 10:33 PM   #6
Gold Member

Thank you RT-NY!

Now I have some idea what to expect.
Answering your and jjrbus question - why I am replacing it.

Because I am being forced to.I live in CA and it is the state with very often unreasonable environmental regulations.
Though untill very recently " no propane filling in tanks older than 12 years" rule was never enforced.I did not even know about it.But about a month ago (alledgedly after some bad accident) most places I was using before refused to put propane in my vehicle because the tank is old.The owners threatened to fine the employees if they serve older tanks.
I did find one place far away that did not mind or even mentioned the issue.But the trend is clear.
The other reason was that the only place to buy a new tank was in Canada and if they go out of business..
Anyway.I hate replacing a good tank and it is a substantial expence for me.But I did not have a choice.

As far the name "tray"-someone called it this way.But a metal plate is more accurate word.
Now hopefully the process will not take 4 hours...
Old 10-28-2023, 01:37 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Glad I do not live on the left coast, think I would move.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:24 PM   #8
Platinum Member

You may need to look up the regulations about propane tank refilling. I believe that the rule is for portable tanks and yours is permanently installed. Also, your propane dealer may be interpreting the rules wrong, portable vs fixed tanks. Portable tanks have a valve that has to be changed every so often for safety reasons.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 04:50 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
You may need to look up the regulations about propane tank refilling. I believe that the rule is for portable tanks and yours is permanently installed. Also, your propane dealer may be interpreting the rules wrong, portable vs fixed tanks. Portable tanks have a valve that has to be changed every so often for safety reasons.
I had the same thoughts but it is CA and their bureaucrats are out of touch with reality!
Old 10-28-2023, 11:40 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT1997 View Post
The other reason was that the only place to buy a new tank was in Canada and if they go out of business..
I agree that the problem with regulations (or with propane vendors misunderstanding or misinterpreting the regulations) combined with potential difficulties in finding a replacement could be a problem for older rigs - and even more so in the RT 170 where everything is tightly packed together. The good news, however, is that I have been told that Manchester can custom fabricate new tanks to order according to the original specs, and they have been in business a long time.

Anyway, keep us updated on how it goes with the replacement!
Old 10-29-2023, 07:52 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I have friends in California with 20 year and older tanks and have not mentioned a problem. I will ask them and post the answers.

It is true for the portable tanks and is a federal regulation.

I realize you have researched the facts but I still have doubts it is true. Even if it was I would take mine out, sand blast it, paint it, check all the valves and fittings for leaks and put it back.

Got a quick answer from one. He said he hasn’t heard about it but will check it out. He has never been challenged or refused service anywhere.

“Propane tanks that are permanently mounted to structures or vehicles do not have to be recertified, but they must be visually inspected every time they are filled to ensure that they are acceptable for use. Automotive tanks used for motor fuel must be inspected and recertified every 5 years at a government approved facility.”

That is what I have found so far. That doesn’t mean California has not done something. I just have not found it yet. Neither have my California friends.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 01:37 AM   #12
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
I have friends in California with 20 year and older tanks and have not mentioned a problem. I will ask them and post the answers.

“Propane tanks that are permanently mounted to structures or vehicles do not have to be recertified, but they must be visually inspected every time they are filled to ensure that they are acceptable for use. Automotive tanks used for motor fuel must be inspected and recertified every 5 years at a government approved facility.”

That is what I have found so far. That doesn’t mean California has not done something. I just have not found it yet. Neither have my California friends.

Arguing with the owners of private businesses is useless even if the regulation does not apply.Alledgedly the tank on
one of the older RVs caught fire and they decided not to deal with older vehicles after that.
And an owner of a private business can deny service for any reason.

I did find one place far away But I did not want to wait until even that place decides to follow the trend.
Not to mention extra expences ( long drive,more expensive propane).

Anyway, the new tank is on the way.
But thank you for the input..It might help someone who decides to fight with business ownets.
Old 11-02-2023, 02:05 AM   #13
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
I agree that the problem with regulations (or with propane vendors misunderstanding or misinterpreting the regulations) combined with potential difficulties in finding a replacement could be a problem for older rigs - and even more so in the RT 170 where everything is tightly packed together. The good news, however, is that I have been told that Manchester can custom fabricate new tanks to order according to the original specs, and they have been in business a long time.

Anyway, keep us updated on how it goes with the replacement!

I wish I new this about Manchecter custom made tanks.
But before I had to order from Canada the tech said that he was going to find a tank at Manchester dealers
That tech was very familiar with RT 170 .But after all he did not find any and told me to order from Canada.

Ironically the tank is on the way and that tech is no longer works at the RV place (after 30 years).My luck ...

I have the appointment in a week.Will keep you posted.
Old 11-02-2023, 02:54 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Can’t hurt to have a new tank. I would, too, if I could find someone to sell me one. The Roadtrek parts guys in Canada wouldn’t talk to me. I did not start the negotiation with Manchester.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:03 AM   #15
Platinum Member

This situation got me curious, I ran into some issues with my Toyota with a horizontal DOT tank. It was always just a matter of finding another LP place. Looked at the tank on my 02C200P and it is an odd ball, fittings and mounting! No such part number on the internet, looks like 6876. I am sure any horizontal SAE tank could be modded to fit. Even then a tank is in the $800 range, plus if you had to pay for the mods, so likely better ordering the tank.
Old 11-02-2023, 11:52 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Can’t hurt to have a new tank. I would, too, if I could find someone to sell me one. The Roadtrek parts guys in Canada wouldn’t talk to me. I did not start the negotiation with Manchester.
Perhaps it it also worth thinking about what the manufacture date is of the tanks that the MobilifeRV place in Canada is selling. I believe that they are selling old Roadtrek inventory. I wonder if some skittish propane vendors will rely on the tank date not its usage history, and if they think (incorrectly) that the limit is 12 years, you might run into that sooner than you hoped.
Old 11-02-2023, 01:21 PM   #17
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT1997 View Post

I wish I new this about Manchecter custom made tanks.
But before I had to order from Canada the tech said that he was going to find a tank at Manchester dealers
That tech was very familiar with RT 170 .But after all he did not find any and told me to order from Canada.

Ironically the tank is on the way and that tech is no longer works at the RV place (after 30 years).My luck ...

I have the appointment in a week.Will keep you posted.

This may assist:

https://www.rvtravel.com/im-told-my-...ice-rvdt-2243/
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 02:15 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I don't think that the main issue in this case is what the regulations actually are. The issue is what propane vendors think that they are. Even if the vendors are entirely mistaken and your tank is completely fine, it still might be difficult to get the tank filled.
Old 11-02-2023, 04:44 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
When I was looking for a tank for my Toyota the manufacturers and distributors would not talk to me. I had to go through a dealer! I offered to pay the distributor for the tank and have them ship it to the dealer and they told me no. The local dealer had to order it! Hope you have a better experience.
Old 11-02-2023, 05:00 PM   #20

sometime with a lot of usage the oil can build up inside that need to be cleaned out but that is rare at best..

Depending on how far from AZ etc you are you can get it filled out of state and tell CA to pound sand..
carlN is offline   Reply With Quote