Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2023, 09:49 AM   #1

Default Roadtrek D190P LP tank

Need to replace the LP tank on my '96 RT. Advice on tank part #, and possible pricing/install/supplier.

Thanks in advance-
Doug
Dugefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 11:07 AM   #2
Platinum Member

There is an outfit in Canada that bought all the old RT inventory and may have the tank but $$$$$ I do not remember the name?

I would be asking do I need to replace this tank because of rust?
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 11:28 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
There is an outfit in Canada that bought all the old RT inventory and may have the tank but $$$$$ I do not remember the name?

I would be asking do I need to replace this tank because of rust?
Good question. Most exposed tanks eventually get some type of surface rust. If that's the issue, I'd try one of the gas/LP "sniffers" (electronic, on-line) all around the tank and see if you get any trace of LP. Maybe first with main valve closed and then with it open. Once when I had a LP smell I used a sniffer to pinpoint the regulator as the problem. ASME tanks are supposedly "life." I suppose a spot of surface rust could eventually make it all the way through. My 97 PW is the same vintage as yours. Only problems that I've had have been the above mentioned regulator and the main tank valve that had developed a leak (fixed at LP place for $45). And until it made it to AZ in 2016 it sat outside many winters.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 02:41 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Do everything possible to recondition the tank you have. Wire brush, sand blasting, rust removing chemicals.

If that is not adequate then take pictures of the tank and begin your quest to replace it. The manufacturer was probably Manchester Tank. (not sure of official company name) They don’t deal with retail customers but maybe they can tell you who to deal with to get one built.

Another option is to find one currently being manufactured and see if you can adapt it.

We don’t know anyone who has successfully replaced an obsolete tank. Maybe they will post. Several of us have tried with no result. Post pictures of the tank to start with.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Do everything possible to recondition the tank you have. Wire brush, sand blasting, rust removing chemicals.

If that is not adequate then take pictures of the tank and begin your quest to replace it. The manufacturer was probably Manchester Tank. (not sure of official company name) They don’t deal with retail customers but maybe they can tell you who to deal with to get one built.

Another option is to find one currently being manufactured and see if you can adapt it.

We don’t know anyone who has successfully replaced an obsolete tank. Maybe they will post. Several of us have tried with no result. Post pictures of the tank to start with.
After ramping up my RT, I visually looked to find the tank(under driver's side), Appeared to have a flat "cover plate" to protect it.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:53 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post

I had considered cleaning and painting my propane tank years ago when I first noticed rust, but an attendant at a propane service station said that would be considered an attempt to hide the true condition of the tank, and is not legal. Maybe he meant portable tanks, and not permanent tanks?
Old 05-29-2023, 09:13 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
I had considered cleaning and painting my propane tank years ago when I first noticed rust, but an attendant at a propane service station said that would be considered an attempt to hide the true condition of the tank, and is not legal. Maybe he meant portable tanks, and not permanent tanks?

I get so sick of this crap, it just goes on and on and on. Incompetence, stupidity. Where do these people giving out advice keep coming from?

https://www.gvpropane.com/blog/resid...-propane-tank/
Old 05-29-2023, 04:14 PM   #8
Platinum Member

my tank has some lets say alot of surface rust.it's still holding the 3 gallons I had put in last Dec. my tank has the fill spout regulator in middle of tank, it's filled at rear bumper. I have sean simiiarl brand new an used tanks on ebay.

is it allowable to mount behind bumper a smaller tank like RV trailers have mounted on the tongues? then swap the regulators so I have a guage?

or are the under chassis type tanks catorgorized as a under coach type tank an are built stronger so like street rocks won't ruin the tank?

this 30 gallon will be plenty at about half the size. making room for like a battery box.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-Ki...N301/302560758
Old 05-29-2023, 06:23 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Just wondering without any knowledge. Most DOT tanks we have for BBQ and often seen on trailer tongues are in a vertical position. Would positioning one of those horizontally have any detrimental impact? Wondering because I know there are DOT tanks for RVs listed as "horizontal."
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 06:28 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
I get so sick of this crap, it just goes on and on and on. Incompetence, stupidity. Where do these people giving out advice keep coming from?

Thanks for the link. As for where these people come from, I'm pretty sure this guy was in Massachusetts, where everything is regulated!
Old 05-29-2023, 08:01 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:

these dumba$$s come from a land called stupid home of the ediot. everyone there is a complete moron.

these ppl will be dissappearing real soon. so just relax.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:42 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Just wondering without any knowledge. Most DOT tanks we have for BBQ and often seen on trailer tongues are in a vertical position. Would positioning one of those horizontally have any detrimental impact? Wondering because I know there are DOT tanks for RVs listed as "horizontal."

Yes would allow liquid gas into the system which may go boom! There are DOT tanks made specifically for horizontal application
Old 05-29-2023, 09:53 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Have not looked into this in long time, but use to be illegal to mount a tank on rear of RV.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:24 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes would allow liquid gas into the system which may go boom! There are DOT tanks made specifically for horizontal application

The BBQ tanks are very light duty compared to the mounted tanks so shouldn't be used except as a portable. You can't lay them horizontally as you would get liquid out instead of gas, and that ain't good. The OPD valve would close if you were lucky, though.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:33 PM   #15
Platinum Member

now it makes sense why the horizontale mounted tanks aren't filled to the brim.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:01 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugefresh View Post
Need to replace the LP tank on my '96 RT. Advice on tank part #, and possible pricing/install/supplier.

Thanks in advance-
Doug
I thought the same thing until I brought it to AmeriGas to replace a stuck open shutoff valve. There was an old timer, 40 plus years as the Yardmaster at AmeriGas. I asked him how long the tanks last, he replied "Forever". Just recently on Facebook I explained what he said when one of our members insisted he needed a new tank, because the RV dealer said so. He posted pictures etc., and I explained that's just surface rust. He politely told me to stop hammering the point home to him. His next reply, a few days later, was that he now needed to "eat crow". Long story longer, I convinced him to go to a propane dealer and they told him what I had been saying for two weeks. This guy was ready to order a new tank etc. This is from FaceBook. >>>.
. 2005 Excel TS ,I officially need a new propane tank,have seen bubbles appear on the rust outside. Since the exact tank (Manchester 6881) is 1800$ and 5 months lead time…. has anyone used a slightly different tank to fit up under there? Would really appreciate any advice. Now ,I can’t sell it and can’t use it.
UPDATE: Happy ending to this saga-propane tank dealer found the leak from a loose refrigerator fitting,and confirmed no leaks from tank. RV dealership was so incompetent
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:04 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Your post would be better if you indicated why you need to replace your permanently mounted ASME certified tank. Because in most cases, you don't.
SQUASHMIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:28 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
I thought the same thing until I brought it to AmeriGas to replace a stuck open shutoff valve. There was an old timer, 40 plus years as the Yardmaster at AmeriGas. I asked him how long the tanks last, he replied "Forever". Just recently on Facebook I explained what he said when one of our members insisted he needed a new tank, because the RV dealer said so. He posted pictures etc., and I explained that's just surface rust. He politely told me to stop hammering the point home to him. His next reply, a few days later, was that he now needed to "eat crow". Long story longer, I convinced him to go to a propane dealer and they told him what I had been saying for two weeks. This guy was ready to order a new tank etc. This is from FaceBook. >>>.
. 2005 Excel TS ,I officially need a new propane tank,have seen bubbles appear on the rust outside. Since the exact tank (Manchester 6881) is 1800$ and 5 months lead time…. has anyone used a slightly different tank to fit up under there? Would really appreciate any advice. Now ,I can’t sell it and can’t use it.
UPDATE: Happy ending to this saga-propane tank dealer found the leak from a loose refrigerator fitting,and confirmed no leaks from tank. RV dealership was so incompetent
Been RV'ing for over 20 years. My first trip to a dealer and they ripped me good. Later when I sold the first RV the guy insisted on getting it inspected at an RV dealer. What they did to him was criminal. I have not been to an RV dealer in over 20 years. I am sure their are honest fair dealers out there but 100% of the ones I have been to are incompetant crooks.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:16 PM   #19
Platinum Member

I don't know anything about when or how to replace an LP tank but I frequently use a "rust converter" compound called Corroseal to get rid of surface rust. I just applied this to an old utility trailer that was covered with rust although the metals were all structurally sound. I am always amazed how well it works. It is a water based chemical that looks like white milk and is very easy to slap on with a brush, roller or even a simple sprayer. Within a few hours it turns black and makes the surface look like it has been freshly painted black with no further sign of surface rust. It almost seems miraculous. It cleans up with soap and water and requires no fume precautions.

If I had a LP tank with just some cosmetic surface rust (or any other issues with rust under the van), this would be my first treatment choice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CRFYG0...ing=UTF8&psc=1
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:35 AM   #20

Default My saga continues on LP tank

I still haven't removed my tank to try finding the nomenclature(plate) for info. on manufacturer part # so...I contacted RT in Canada with my dilema. After his research(on hold 3 minutes), he advised MANCHESTER HM 384 was my tank ID most likely. Excitedly, I contacted Manchester w/info. for replacement(probable cross referencing new #). Co. rep responded with "Sorry that is definitely NOT a Manchester part #. So, my saga continues...any advice besides renting a lift/removing skid plate/accessing the "hidden" manufacturer's plate info.??