Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 01:51 AM   #101
Platinum Member

Default Re: Roadtrek is making a ProMaster model... Zion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
Since the ProMaster diesel is now available, I wonder if RT is going to offer it as an option? Winnebago announced today that they were going to offer it in the Travato & Viva/Trend models...
This unit will be a winner for RT I'm sure....

wouldn't a diesel engine cut cargo carrying capacity further. they can barely meet weight as is. but i don't know
Old 12-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #102
Platinum Member

On the deisel, the fuel tank could be smaller to even out the weight difference, but I don't know. Also it's displacement is smaller than the gas engine and the tranny is different, so maybe there is no weight penalty.

Interesting on the spare. Even these small 16" wheels need a lot of space under the van! In the vid, they show pulling some kind of kit from under the seat. My van, of course, doesn't have this. I wonder if I even have a jack or lug wrench on board??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #103
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
On the deisel, the fuel tank could be smaller to even out the weight difference, but I don't know. Also it's displacement is smaller than the gas engine and the tranny is different, so maybe there is no weight penalty.

Interesting on the spare. Even these small 16" wheels need a lot of space under the van! In the vid, they show pulling some kind of kit from under the seat. My van, of course, doesn't have this. I wonder if I even have a jack or lug wrench on board??

wincrasher-

2 things have occured to me.

1. this might be the 139 wheelbase or the 159 wheelbase-20 feet 7 inches. the 159 wheelbase extended to 21 feet will probably leave the tire in the same spot so more back end.

2. and this is my fault. Jim Hammill did say there would be a spare tire option and that the tire would be under the van. he did not say- i did not ask-if it would be the same underfloor mechanism. there are other under floor tire holders made- i just assumed.-sorry
Old 12-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #104
Platinum Member

How many Class b's have been made with door mounted or bumper mounted spare tires in the past ? Is there some sort of engineering problem pertaining to the Promaster that precludes this simple,tried and true solution ? I have never liked under chassis spares and much prefer (through life experience) bumper or door mounted spares .
Old 12-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #105
Platinum Member

I've always hated the look of back end mounted spare tires other than on the original Jeep. Just my thing I guess. I've never bought a vehicle of any kind with a tire mounted on the back.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Old 12-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #106
Platinum Member

maybe promaster will have no hitch on roadtrek version. still need more info

it does not have great tow capacity
Old 12-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #107
Platinum Member

I'd guess it has something to do with clearance. There isn't much room to mount stuff under a PM, although without the rear driveshaft, one does gain space where that would be, so stuff could be shorter, but wider underneath.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #108
Platinum Member

Looks like zion is mostly white melamine particleboard. it is heavy
Old 12-07-2014, 02:38 AM   #109
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
How many Class b's have been made with door mounted or bumper mounted spare tires in the past ? Is there some sort of engineering problem pertaining to the Promaster that precludes this simple,tried and true solution ? I have never liked under chassis spares and much prefer (through life experience) bumper or door mounted spares .
I've always heard that part of the door mounted spare tire issue is that the door structure and hinges weren't engineered by the chassis manufacturers to carry that extra weight.
Our first B, the Lexor had a door mounted spare, and I hated it. The looks, the extra weight hanging out there, just made me nervous every time I had to open and close that door

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
Old 12-07-2014, 02:55 AM   #110
Platinum Member

I have only used a spare once in my 20 years of driving. I hate rear door mounted spares. I would rather risk spending a little more time accessing under the van in the rare case I needed a spare, rather than have the hassle of a spare adding extra length and an ugly look to my van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
I've always heard that part of the door mounted spare tire issue is that the door structure and hinges weren't engineered by the chassis manufacturers to carry that extra weight.
Our first B, the Lexor had a door mounted spare, and I hated it. The looks, the extra weight hanging out there, just made me nervous every time I had to open and close that door
Old 12-07-2014, 02:58 AM   #111
Platinum Member

Road trek actually has a system that they have used on their other vans that supports the spare off the receiver. I'm sure it can be adapted for the Promaster if there is demand for it.

Pleasureway in the past has just bolted their spares to the back doors without regards for the manufacturer's warnings about the limits to the door structure and hinges.

Just one thing to consider when comparing vans I guess.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #112
Platinum Member

I'm not getting a spare. I didn't have one with my Great West Van Legend. I couldn't change it myself if I wanted to. So, I look at it as an event like a fender bender. Just live with the inconvenience that will come. I've got time. I drove 10,500 miles on our Alaskan trip including the gravel pothole filled On Top of the World highway from Chicken, Alaska to Dawson City, Yukon. ::: egad i just said some famous ha ha i told you so last words :::
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Old 12-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #113
Platinum Member

[quote="Davydd"]I'm not getting a spare. I didn't have one with my Great West Van Legend. I couldn't change it myself if I wanted to. So, I look at it as an event like a fender bender. Just live with the inconvenience that will come. I've got time. I drove 10,500 miles on our Alaskan trip including the gravel pothole filled On Top of the World highway from Chicken, Alaska to Dawson City, Yukon. ::: egad i just said some famous ha ha i told you so last words ::: [/quote

i probably would not attempt to change the tire myself. however having the tire makes it more likely a tow truck could take care of you at the site. i would worry about it-what can i say.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #114
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I believe Booster has 240 watts of solar on his Roadtrek. He might be able to address the solar better than anyone here. After I went through all my gyrations I came to the conclusion that with our second alternator and frequent driving that solar was mostly frosting. If it would make up most of the difference of the power usage of a compressor refrigerator running all the time I would be happy. But then I have no experience with photovoltaic solar. I will know more by next spring.

Four group 31 AGM batteries would weigh about 270 lbs. + or -. That would be about 150 lb. premium over lithium ion.
Our experience with 400w solar and 190Ah stored in two 6 volts AGMs is working well to keep our two 12v compression fridges running for weeks and all the electricals in our Safari Condo without shore power, as long as the van is in an open space and it doesn't rain for 4 days. But a B moves more often, just driving it 30 minutes every two days tops it off. I'm sure the lithium batteries could store it more efficiently but the whole charging system has to be equiped and tuned differently. I'm glad Advanced Rv and Roadtrek are trying out those systems.

And yes "mutcth" the two living zones in the Safari Condo layout are more appealing then the Zion layout.
...I like a lot about this design, but I'm still partial to the Safari Condo Flex layout, especially for its additional seating area/"living room" up front....
No wonder 90% of european layouts in the (6.4m) 21' long Fiat Ducatos are adopting this layout, pionnered by Adria 15 years ago. But this layout dosen't appeal to all, due to the tight corridor between those areas. In some european layouts, a middle shower area that temporarely uses the corridor, helps to have a wider passage.

I'm glad Roadtrek's very conservative interior design is finally being adressed, although they have a long way to go with the north american rv market being presently so primitive in terms of esthetics.

The 400w solar array on our ProMaster.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #115
Platinum Member

I can't imagine getting a 16" truck tire would be a problem anywhere in North America. It's a very common size.

But if having one along is a high priority above, well it's just one more factor to differentiate the brands:

Winnebago - forget it, no room. But you'll get the pleasure of having a noisy Onan generator!
Pleasureway - maybe, hung off the rear door. You'll still have a genset and a 2 battery box.
Roadtrek - yep, underneath, but you won't have an onan generator.

Or you can buy what you like, and find a mounting bracket that hangs off the door or a swing arm bracket on the receiver hitch. Or get a storage box for the receiver hitch and put a tire in there as well as a bunch of your other "must haves" you want to carry. There's downsides to those choices as well.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #116
Platinum Member

Quote:
..... I drove 10,500 miles on our Alaskan trip including the gravel pothole filled On Top of the World highway from Chicken, Alaska to Dawson City, Yukon. ::: egad i just said some famous ha ha i told you so last words :::
I was up there this past summer. The last 10 miles before you reach the Canadian border on the Top of The World highway are now paved. I did carry a spare and was prepared to change it myself if needed because there are plenty of areas in Alaska where you won't be able to call for help.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter 3500 Long & Tall
Old 12-07-2014, 05:49 PM   #117
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB
Quote:
I believe Booster has 240 watts of solar on his Roadtrek. He might be able to address the solar better than anyone here. After I went through all my gyrations I came to the conclusion that with our second alternator and frequent driving that solar was mostly frosting. If it would make up most of the difference of the power usage of a compressor refrigerator running all the time I would be happy. But then I have no experience with photovoltaic solar. I will know more by next spring.

Four group 31 AGM batteries would weigh about 270 lbs. + or -. That would be about 150 lb. premium over lithium ion.
Our experience with 400w solar and 190Ah stored in two 6 volts AGMs is working well to keep our two 12v compression fridges running for weeks and all the electricals in our Safari Condo without shore power, as long as the van is in an open space and it doesn't rain for 4 days. But a B moves more often, just driving it 30 minutes every two days tops it off. I'm sure the lithium batteries could store it more efficiently but the whole charging system has to be equiped and tuned differently. I'm glad Advanced Rv and Roadtrek are trying out those systems.

And yes "mutcth" the two living zones in the Safari Condo layout are more appealing then the Zion layout.
...I like a lot about this design, but I'm still partial to the Safari Condo Flex layout, especially for its additional seating area/"living room" up front....
No wonder 90% of european layouts in the (6.4m) 21' long Fiat Ducatos are adopting this layout, pionnered by Adria 15 years ago. But this layout dosen't appeal to all, due to the tight corridor between those areas. In some european layouts, a middle shower area that temporarely uses the corridor, helps to have a wider passage.

I'm glad Roadtrek's very conservative interior design is finally being adressed, although they have a long way to go with the north american rv market being presently so primitive in terms of esthetics.

The 400w solar array on our ProMaster.

the zion has swivel seats and a hole for a table in between the seats. the passenger seat in my opinion would make a separate section for one person with the other in the back. just my opinion
Old 12-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #118
Platinum Member

Ugly rear mounted spare ? Vans are ugly and Promaster's are even uglier. A rear mounted spare won't change that by much. When needed, a spare tire can become a beautiful thing.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #119
Platinum Member

Easy there. Let's not get into a "who's van is the ugliest" debate.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #120
Platinum Member

I remember some years ago when my wife and I decided to buy a van and I suggested a Chevy Astro. My wife said " No. Those are ugly " ????? I don't see how anyone can look at a van and think " That's beautiful " . It doesn't mean I don't love my van. I love her for whats on the inside. Oh BTW. Guess who didn't buy an Astro van.
Closed Thread