Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2023, 06:26 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Roadtrek Warm Converter/Can't access lower panel

Hello all.

Ok this RT I just purchased, the original converter is getting too warm and the fan is likely shot.

Had these same issues with some other RVs

I have a newer one I never used in an RV I sold that will fit.

The problem is on this RT, the floor seems to be raised and don't see a way to take it out without destroying the floor panels.

I attached a pic of the floor.

Thanks for any input. Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230923_111925125.jpg (137.4 KB, 29 views)
JeffGalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 04:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

So bad when folks do this kind of thing...Those are square individual tiles. You could try using a heat gun (not too hot) to soften the adhesive and gently pry up the tiles blocking the access panel. When you finish, see if you can trim or modify the bottom of the access panel to allow opening after the floors tiles are replaced.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 05:02 PM   #3
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
So bad when folks do this kind of thing...Those are square individual tiles. You could try using a heat gun (not too hot) to soften the adhesive and gently pry up the tiles blocking the access panel. When you finish, see if you can trim or modify the bottom of the access panel to allow opening after the floors tiles are replaced.
Hi there.

Yes I agree. I didn't like that they did this. We always need access to these things. The owners were older and had the full bed in the RT and many blankets covering any air going to the converter so I'm surprised it even lasted this long.

Anyways yesterday I took the bed apart and all the wood on top of it and the RV tech came by and he was able to reach the two screws the floor was blocking by removing all the tiles in front of it.

Then we had access to the converter from the back of it. He pushed it thru that way.

Unfortunately the one I had didn't fit. So we just ended up disconnecting the lower part that was overheating which stopped that battery charging but I was able to use the 120v/12v still.

I never knew that this lower board only was to charge my coach battery which it does from the alternator so I likely won't ever replace the lower part and saved 300.00.

Thx for your input.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:26 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Recognize that the engine only charges when running, and the charging function is meant to charge the coach battery when hooked up to 110- you should have this capability. My RoadTrek's OEM was a tripplite combined inverter/charger. The Inverter was only 750 watts. While the space was tight, there was also ample ventilation and space for heat too dissipate. I installed a new multistage charger, which was quite a bit smaller and added a separate 2000w inverter. I have a thread on this Electrical Upgrade. I have two transfer switches, one switches between shore tie and on board generator (priority to shore tie) and the other takes the output of #1 (priority) and inverter. When adding separate devices it is important to wire things in such a day that the inverter cannot power the charger.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 06:36 PM   #5
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
Recognize that the engine only charges when running, and the charging function is meant to charge the coach battery when hooked up to 110- you should have this capability. My RoadTrek's OEM was a tripplite combined inverter/charger. The Inverter was only 750 watts. While the space was tight, there was also ample ventilation and space for heat too dissipate. I installed a new multistage charger, which was quite a bit smaller and added a separate 2000w inverter. I have a thread on this Electrical Upgrade. I have two transfer switches, one switches between shore tie and on board generator (priority to shore tie) and the other takes the output of #1 (priority) and inverter. When adding separate devices it is important to wire things in such a day that the inverter cannot power the charger.
Thank you. I will check thread you have.

Eventually I'll get it all restored but for now this was kinda a quick fix for a 25 yo converter and easing my nerves of it starting a fire. It was hotter than a stove and very very noisy.

But I'd like to have it charge when hooked up to the 110. Thank you again for your input.

Appreciate it.