Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2022, 04:30 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Shower Hose

Need to replace the shower hose in my 02 Roadtrek. If anyone has it can you please send me the exact item you purchased? Want to order online and do not want to be stuck with the wrong item. I do not have time to go shopping and compare and do not want to end up with the wrong size.

I initially thought anything labeled RV shower hose would fit - but with my luck that is not the case. There was one at Walmart I almost bought - some kind of Oxygenics brand or something - but with my luck I figured it would not fit.

thanks a lot
Old 08-23-2022, 01:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

bought the oxygenics unit from walmart. it trickles water while paused. dont understand that concept in a system with low pressure. i should have read the package beforehand as it stated that was how it worked.
KurtFranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I bought this one from amazon, it has a positive shutoff and the hose is very flexible. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 04:54 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
bought the oxygenics unit from walmart. it trickles water while paused. dont understand that concept in a system with low pressure. i should have read the package beforehand as it stated that was how it worked.
I bought this a couple of years ago for our Oxygenics. I removed the Oxy flow control and replaced it with this shut off/flow control. The threads all matched up perfectly.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:39 PM   #5
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtFranz View Post
it trickles water while paused. dont understand that concept in a system with low pressure.
Trickling water helps maintain shower temp. It's especially helpful if the supply lines go through a cold area of the camper.

2002 Great West Van Classic built on 360ci Dodge 3500 Ram Van
rogerstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 01:32 AM   #6
Site Team

The dribbling is an important safety measure intended to prevent scalding due to certain back flow conditions that are prone to occur in shower heads that have shutoff valves at the head. This is a somewhat subtle failure mode in such a setup. It has been described in detail in the list in the past. A search of the cite will locate these discussions.

It is quite important to have this feature if (a) you have a shower wand with an at-the-spray-head shutoff AND (b) DO NOT HAVE a tempering valve to maintain system-wide safe temperatures (most tank-based heaters do not have such; most on-demand systems do.)
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 02:06 AM   #7
Platinum Member

thanks to all who responded
Old 08-27-2022, 03:18 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
The dribbling is an important safety measure intended to prevent scalding due to certain back flow conditions that are prone to occur in shower heads that have shutoff valves at the head. This is a somewhat subtle failure mode in such a setup. It has been described in detail in the list in the past. A search of the cite will locate these discussions.

It is quite important to have this feature if (a) you have a shower wand with an at-the-spray-head shutoff AND (b) DO NOT HAVE a tempering valve to maintain system-wide safe temperatures (most tank-based heaters do not have such; most on-demand systems do.)
Our answer to this is to only heat the hot water tank to shower temperature and just use the hot valve only, no blending in the faucet, no hot or cold surprises. We use a wireless remote meat thermometer with the probe stuck in between the foam and the actual tank. With the Oxygenics we can both shower(separately) on 2.5 gallons of water using only the hot water faucet. No water wasted blending for a temperature.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:32 PM   #9
Silver Member

Intrigued by the safety claims, I looked further into it. Basically, by stopping flow at the shower head, the hot supply becomes directly connected to the cold supply via the mix valve. It's possible that another user of cold water would reduce the shower's cold water pressure to the extent that hot water would flow back into the cold water supply side. Resumption of shower spray would supply only hot water, from both the hot and cold supply sides.

In bigger rigs, houses, etc. leaving the mix valves thus connected can actually lead to hot water coming out of a cold water tap.

2002 Great West Van Classic built on 360ci Dodge 3500 Ram Van
rogerstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:53 PM   #10
Platinum Member

ARV installs a non-dribbling trigger type handle that is super water efficient in my mind and I have no problem with it. You can adjust the temperature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Alvar Shower Fixture.jpeg (42.3 KB, 8 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 04:23 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
ARV installs a non-dribbling trigger type handle that is super water efficient in my mind and I have no problem with it. You can adjust the temperature.
If you can adjust the temperature it means you have a tempering valve. The Rixen's system requires one, so this is not surprising. So, you have no need for a dribbler.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:29 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerstg View Post
Basically, by stopping flow at the shower head, the hot supply becomes directly connected to the cold supply via the mix valve. It's possible that another user of cold water would reduce the shower's cold water pressure to the extent that hot water would flow back into the cold water supply side.
Yes.
But you don't even need a second user. The water heater can cause high pressure in the hot side relative to the cold side, which would force hot water into the cold side of your shower feed, causing a scalding hazard the next time you turn on the shower wand.

As has been stated, none of this matters if you have some way to prevent your hot water from ever getting to scalding temperature--either via an adjustable water heater, or a tempering valve.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:27 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
I bought this one from amazon, it has a positive shutoff and the hose is very flexible. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
just placed the order - thanks

Since I am fond of using the aisle shower, I am going to redo the walls and floor of the toilet area to make them waterproof as are the enclosed wet bathrooms. Although the shower curtain works, I still get some water in the toilet area.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:37 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
FWIW - Installed this yesterday. This is a good unit and the stop valve works as intended. If you are looking for a replacement this is a good one.