Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Size restrictions master list? Cities, campgrounds, e.t.c.

During my latest southwest trek I ran into a few size restriction signs at a few state and national campgrounds. There were parts of the campgrounds that said nothing over 19.5ft, another place said 20ft.

I always thought anything under 21 was ok.

Also, apparently in certain cities you can't park anything over 19ft long. Hope they never measure my extended length Ford crown vic at just over 20ft. The only thing bigger is a mid 70's Cadillac Fleetwood AKA the land yacht.

How about height, anyone ever find their class B too tall?
Etzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:36 AM   #2

As to height, it depends on where you travel. In the Northeast there are a number of height restricted roads because of low clearance overpasses. This is why in some states an RV GPS is necessary to avoid being routed onto roads with height, weight, and propane restrictions. My Class B at 8'10" is too tall to travel on any of the local parkways here in NYS - each is posted with a height restriction of 7'10" tall. And lately there have been a lot of trucks traveling by car GPS who get on these roads and crash into an overpass. The State Police and local authorities are closely watching what tries to get on a road they are not allowed to be on.

I know in some parts of the country no one even thinks about height clearances - but on the East Coast and especailly in the NorthEast it is essential be aware of what roads you are routed on. A Truckers Atlas is the easiest way to check. An RV GPS is not going to put you on those roads to start with.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

A lot of National Forest campgrounds will say less than 22 foot. That is because most NF campgrounds were originally set up for tent camping only and not for RVs, thus it was assumed most would be occupied by cars and trucks with tent setups. In reality they will usually accommodate any Class B but many were not designed level enough for sleeping. You just have to check them out.

In Minnesota and Wisconsin I've found many to accommodate my 24 foot Class B but the upper Midwest is mostly level ground. I visited a NF campground in Georgia at the beginning of the Appalachian trail and though several campsites were unoccupied and the length was accommodating they were not level. I ended up overnighting in the adjacent trailhead parking lot.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote