Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sprinter and Airstream

"Airstream CEO says ditching the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter for its camper vans is 'always a consideration' amid continual supply chain delays"

https://www.businessinsider.com/airs...hortage-2021-8
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:18 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Bring back the Chevy Express!

Just kidding, Airstream probably sold less than 500 of the Avenue Models like mine between 2010 & 2013. However, they need to find a similarly reliable chassis.

I bought my '2012 in '2017 with 25K miles and other than routine maintenance and a MAF sensor, it has been mechanically flawless. Tons of power to accelerate (even up hills) with the 6.0L v-8 with 6-speed transmission and all while delivering 15 mpg. Most other's experience is similar to mine.

The Transit, realistically, is the only Sprinter replacement. When Amazon, Fedex, etc. go to electric delivery vans, that should take some of the demand shortages off the Transit/Sprinters. On the other hand, some of those ev vans may surpass them sooner than we think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190319_192531.jpg (444.8 KB, 17 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
TWhen Amazon, Fedex, etc. go to electric delivery vans, that should take some of the demand shortages off the Transit/Sprinters.
Except that there is now an EV Transit which Ford has high hopes for. So, it is competing with the ICE Transits for production line space.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Except that there is now an EV Transit which Ford has high hopes for. So, it is competing with the ICE Transits for production line space.
Yeah, and if it's good, those delivery companies may still be buying all the inventory until the start-ups like Rivian, Canoe, and others ramp up production. But since ramp-up is slow, it will be many years away.

I have a tri-motor Cybertruck on order that is supposed to have 500 mile range. I also have a deposit on a CyberLandr bed camper that fits entirely in the "vault" when retracted. No increased wind resistance and only an estimated 5% range reduction for the 1300+lbs of weight.

In both cases, production is about a year or two out (I'm not very high on the Cybertruck reservation list) and the $100 refundable deposits mean I'm not risking anything. I do need a vehicle in the near future, so the Cybertruck will most likely be purchased. But the CyberLandr camper may just be too compromised to be a "b" replacement. But one of those ev vans may fit the bill sometime in the future.

I will never buy another gas vehicle. I'm not an environmentalist (although I take responsibility and think we should have as little negative impact as possible). I also do not think government should pick winners and losers by giving away our tax dollars as ev incentives. I merely think the writing is on the wall for an ev future and time has come that ev's are (in most cases) superior vehicles.

Plus, I keep my cars a long time. The thought of my car doing all or most of the driving for me in 5-10 years gets more appealing as each year passes.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote