Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 01:20 AM   #61
Gold Member

IMO many become enamored with the name Mercedes-Benz (and with somewhat good reason). I think it comes down to what fits for each person. We decided we didn’t want to deal with diesel. And between Ford and Dodge we went with the superior drivetrain of the Ford and the fact that the dually is much more stable. After a month on the road, our choice was confirmed. The Transit did great and would highly recommend. Comfy, easy to drive, plenty of power, decent gas mileage and we had zero problems. But every platform has positives. Everyone just needs to prioritize.
Doctor Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:28 AM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Old View Post
IMO many become enamored with the name Mercedes-Benz (and with somewhat good reason). I think it comes down to what fits for each person. We decided we didn’t want to deal with diesel. And between Ford and Dodge we went with the superior drivetrain of the Ford and the fact that the dually is much more stable. After a month on the road, our choice was confirmed. The Transit did great and would highly recommend. Comfy, easy to drive, plenty of power, decent gas mileage and we had zero problems. But every platform has positives. Everyone just needs to prioritize.
You mentioned in another post that you were not enthralled with the cost of carrying your house around with you as opposed to hiking in Europe.

Do you think that will change? Do you ever use your rig to get somewhere & then hike in & out for a few days or more?

I would be interested in whst you think of the new Ford Nugget?
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:36 AM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8KpuXa1ecRbhFNGg7

This is what the seats in our Promaster RV look like. They are really comfortable. They go up and down; tilt forward and backward, and of course slide forward and backward. The wheel does not tilt but it does telescope.

Once I have the right height and distance and lumbar dialed in, I feel like I could drive non-stop all day.

Sorry not my cup of tea. I checked out an E350 and Sprinter 2019 and 2021, all are better than the RAM. I at least feel some bolster.
coss370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:51 AM   #64
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
You mentioned in another post that you were not enthralled with the cost of carrying your house around with you as opposed to hiking in Europe.

Do you think that will change? Do you ever use your rig to get somewhere & then hike in & out for a few days or more?

I would be interested in whst you think of the new Ford Nugget?
Cost is not the big drawback really. It’s about simplicity and freedom. There’s just a lot to manage in an RV from power, water, refrigeration, sewage, mechanical, etc. When we hike in Europe we stay in albergues, gites, chambres d’hotes, b&bs, and even an occasional hotel. Our biggest things we have to worry about are finding those places, washing our clothes (we take very little so frequent wash is necessary) and getting a meal. It’s an easy adventure (other than dealing with weather which isn’t so bad).
RV travel is just different. It’s not better or worse. It’s what you prefer. With the pandemic, we’ll use it just like we did this past month...driving somewhere and doing day hikes. We had a good time and look forward to doing more.
The Ford was a champ. It’s easy to drive and maneuver. Great power so climbing mountains was not a chore for the engine. And passing slow cars on two lane roads was easy. One funny thing is we used the semi-wonky nav to save on using our phone data. It worked fairly well. The ride quality with the Super Springs is pretty darn good for a van. And we spent some long days in the saddle the last few days and we were quite comfortable and not fatigued. Overall, we’re happy with our choice.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:01 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Old View Post
Cost is not the big drawback really. It’s about simplicity and freedom. There’s just a lot to manage in an RV from power, water, refrigeration, sewage, mechanical, etc. When we hike in Europe we stay in albergues, gites, chambres d’hotes, b&bs, and even an occasional hotel. Our biggest things we have to worry about are finding those places, washing our clothes (we take very little so frequent wash is necessary) and getting a meal. It’s an easy adventure (other than dealing with weather which isn’t so bad).
RV travel is just different. It’s not better or worse. It’s what you prefer. With the pandemic, we’ll use it just like we did this past month...driving somewhere and doing day hikes. We had a good time and look forward to doing more.
The Ford was a champ. It’s easy to drive and maneuver. Great power so climbing mountains was not a chore for the engine. And passing slow cars on two lane roads was easy. One funny thing is we used the semi-wonky nav to save on using our phone data. It worked fairly well. The ride quality with the Super Springs is pretty darn good for a van. And we spent some long days in the saddle the last few days and we were quite comfortable and not fatigued. Overall, we’re happy with our choice.
Dr Old, I hear you.

Was a Professional Deer Culler in NZ for 7 years, going bush with no other contact but my dogs for 32 days at a time. The less you need, the less you carry.

Gotcha ... ENJOY YOUR EXPERIENCE.

I regularly talk to Supersprings, very good people & I was one of their first Guinea Pigs in 2012, in fact they just replaced my original front Bump Stops for free.

The Rear Sumo Springs are stil perfect along with Supersprings/Rear Overleafs.

Did you ADD the Supersprings components AFTER your purchase & if so, what did they resolve & what components?
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:03 AM   #66
Gold Member

Nah, they came on the rig
Old 10-01-2020, 06:56 PM   #67
Bronze Member

Default Diesel mixture

One reason I am not considering a Sprinter diesel is because I have heard the engine wants a 100% mixture and some states have blend requirements making it hard to travel there. Any thoughts?
elayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #68
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elayjay View Post
One reason I am not considering a Sprinter diesel is because I have heard the engine wants a 100% mixture and some states have blend requirements making it hard to travel there. Any thoughts?
Mercedes allows 5% bio, so it is only 95% Dino, not 100%. The only state that requires more than 5% is Minnesota (although it can be a bit of a chore to find in the midwest). MB says that that is OK "if necessary". I have never seen reports of an actual damage.

I will never buy another diesel, but that isn't the reason.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:02 PM   #69
Platinum Member

Mercedes Benz warranties cover up to 20% bio. I live in Minnesota where it has been on pumps 5%-20% bio several years now and I have had warranty work on my emissions system at 88,000 miles. At last check I don't think Minnesota has ever sold more than 10% bio. MB covers 5 years and 100,000 miles. That's fact and not rumors. They do have caveats of caution but that is more to do with idling even though they sell second alternator brackets, install second alternators, high-idle and remote starting capability. Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealers have grown in Minnesota. BTW, probably every state could have 5% bio because there is no Federal requirement to state on the pumps diesel has bio up to 5%.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote