Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Stowaway2 Hitch Cargo box?

I'm looking for feedback about using the Stowaway2 Hitch Cargo box with the swing-away mount on the Sprinter/similar van class B.

Any of you have/had one? What were your biggest complains and compliments? Were you able to use the rear doors in any reasonable way?

If you considered a cargo box like this but went another route, why? What option did you use instead?

I need some more storage, would prefer sealed to open with bags tied to it. My roof isn't an option.

Thanks
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCO View Post
I'm looking for feedback about using the Stowaway2 Hitch Cargo box with the swing-away mount on the Sprinter/similar van class B.

Any of you have/had one? What were your biggest complains and compliments? Were you able to use the rear doors in any reasonable way?

If you considered a cargo box like this but went another route, why? What option did you use instead?

I need some more storage, would prefer sealed to open with bags tied to it. My roof isn't an option.

Thanks

i use the Stowaway2 frame only. It will hold 250 pounds and swings out fine. There are videos of their Box on top swing out.

You can create anything you want to go on top of the frame. The weight is 50 less with their box.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I considered The Stowaway but also wanted to carry a fairly light wt hybrid bicycle and I also disn't want to spend that much

In the end I would up with ....

-Wilco Offroad Hitchswing device.

- hitch doubler so as to connect two hitch devices onto the one Hitchwing

- Light wt aluminum cargo rack

- Largest (180 Liter?) Rubbermaid storage box that is quite sturdy, I think the dimensions are something like 42" x 20" x 18." It fits the cargo rack quite well.

- modified "hanging type" bike rack. I cut it down in size since I only carry one bike. I reversed its normal direction so that the hanging bar points in towards teh van rather than away. I did this to keep the bike in as close as possible to the van doors, anging over the hitch doubler.

The only slight disadvantage of ths arrangement is that the hitch doubler increases the length behind the van.

I re-drilled hitch holes to keep everything as tight in to the van as possible.

Of course with the bike hanger being reversed, I need to swing the Hitchwing out to load and unload the bike but that is absolutely no issue.

We have used this on a few trips no = no issues and it suits all our needs very well.

I anticipated that we would need to remove it from teh back of the van when at destination but we have never needed to do that. I only remove it when we re at home (The Hichswing device stays on) because otherwise the racks would be across the sidewalk in front of our home!
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #4

Swinging the box out gives plenty of access to the back doors. My only complaints are:

1. It is heavy and bulky, so a two man job to install or remove it.

2. It is not water tight. I get some moisture inside when driving in the rain. I think wind swirling up the back of it pushes some water through the seal. This may be fixable but I just make sure everything inside is sealed.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We had one, it was cumbersome to load, unload or access rear doors. Used for a couple of years and sold it. I didn't like luck of organization in the box, usually was filled with stuff we didn't really needed. And as always, the needed stuff was on the bottom of the box.

Replaced it with an aluminum ladder for chairs and BBQ, 2 primary occupants of our Stowaway. storage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR02212.jpg (556.9 KB, 40 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I use it on Ram Promaster 3500. The newer stow away has led lights. Lights stay lit whenever the box was plugged into hitch. Have to unplug it to get leds to go out.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I once used this GearSpace 20 cubic foot hitch mount cargo carrier that did not swing away but had lowered landing gear so you could slide it back to open the doors are simply take it off without assistance and roll it away. It held two inflatable Advanced Elements kayaks and all the gear plus more. The last time I looked they were not offering this model.

I no longer needed it or wanted it with my subsequent longer Class Bs so it is now my daughter's backyard iced beer cooler for parties.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
I use it on Ram Promaster 3500. The newer stow away has led lights. Lights stay lit whenever the box was plugged into hitch. Have to unplug it to get leds to go out.
Mine is a couple of years old with LED lights and they don't stay on when plugged in. They work with the tails lights as expected.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:48 PM   #9
Silver Member

Thanks everyone for answering. I appreciate your time
Old 08-24-2020, 09:28 PM   #10
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone for answering. I appreciate your time

I'll add a little more. A Roadtrek 190 here with a spare tire.

The Stowa.... frame is relatively small vs the big box they have on top. It is ok if that happens to work for your application best.

The frame extends 23-24 inches beyond the bumper, about 13-14 inches beyond the spare tire. I could have made a box the went around the spare tire. The possibilities, Many.

All this to open the back doors.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #11

Quote:

Thanks
Installed one on 97 Pleasureway. We are fly fishers, allows storage for two inflatable pontoon boats and gear. Wife made waterproof cover that we put over the top half of the box. This also helps keep dust out. The box swings out of way of the backdoor. Just need to watch that you don't overload it. Would recommend it.
Don Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:47 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I have had a Stowaway2 for several years and like it a lot. I am able to carry 2 Bike Fridays and miscellaneous items easily. I have 2 suggestions, however: get the white one, the black one gets awfully hot in the sun, second, I got 2 bolt on fold in handles at Lowes which make it much easier the put on and off.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:46 AM   #13
Bronze Member

One thing different than what others have posted: I was stopped at a light and was rear ended by a Cadillac. Shook the my vehicle and when I got out to look at the damage, there wasn't any on my Sprinter. The guy's Cadillac had major front end damage and he couldn't drive it. The Stowaway acted as a cushion to my vehicle and the steel mount pushed me forward, unfortunately for the Caddy, it caused major damage to it. Now I hardly ever take it off. I don't plug the electric in because it turns off blind spot monitoring. The stowaway doesn't block my rear lights in any way. Also I build a table with wheels to slide mount and remove the cargo box. It is level with the tow mount, so I just shimmy it on and off.
hdevera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:47 AM   #14
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

We use a small motorcycle type trailer. Holds quite a bit for our longer trips of 2 or 3 months in our class B. Also have 2 bike mount on spare tire rack. Only way we could figure out how to have more storage and take bikes. Our B is a 1995 Xplorer on Dodge 3500 frame.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:46 PM   #15
Silver Member

BrianCo,

We have one and it was a two-person job installing but have never removed it after. We love our's and it swings away for the back doors to open easily. As mentioned, make a cover for dust and water with elastic at the bottom of the cover.

Ray Brown
2012 Pleasure-Way Plateau TD
Ormond-by-the-Sea, Florida
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:53 PM   #16
Gold Member

I use a swing away stowaway on a Chevy 190P. Love it! It is bulky and I keep it on a small wagon to move it on and off the van (much easier with 2 people). I agree it does get hot in the sun but it’s never leaked. I would like to see a picture of the handles you installed. Handles would definitely help!
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:57 AM   #17
Platinum Member

This is what I used:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-G...Handle/3353258
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:31 PM   #18

Default Stowaway 2 Cargo Box on Sprinter Van

Attachment 10086
Quote:

We have a 2017 chassis Sprinter 3500 with ladder and bike rack and a Stowaway 2 black model cargo box. We use it extensively to add to the limited storage space in the van: We have carried 2 inflatable kayaks OR 2 sets golf clubs, and a Weber "Q" portable grill in the box with many smaller articles at the same time. Capacity is supposedly about 250 lbs. It holds a lot. Black plastic does get hot in the sun and it is easier for two people to install/remove the box but possible with one person if empty. We choose the box because it works with our bike rack above it (see picture). You have to move your license plate each time you use it. It has very bright reflectors on rear and sides. The taillight system is nicely wired and plugs right into the standard socket at the Sprinter hitch. Unfortunately when you plug in the taillight system the Sprinter thinks you are pulling a trailer and shuts off the lane change warning system in the van. If you "swing" it over to the passenger side you can open the passenger side door a long way open, easily enough to fully open the driver side rear door and access your van. Overall we are very happy we have it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3889.jpg (383.6 KB, 19 views)
GTSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:40 PM   #19
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSeattle View Post
Attachment 10086

We have a 2017 chassis Sprinter 3500 with ladder and bike rack and a Stowaway 2 black model cargo box. We use it extensively to add to the limited storage space in the van: We have carried 2 inflatable kayaks OR 2 sets golf clubs, and a Weber "Q" portable grill in the box with many smaller articles at the same time. Capacity is supposedly about 250 lbs. It holds a lot. Black plastic does get hot in the sun and it is easier for two people to install/remove the box but possible with one person if empty. We choose the box because it works with our bike rack above it (see picture). You have to move your license plate each time you use it. It has very bright reflectors on rear and sides. The taillight system is nicely wired and plugs right into the standard socket at the Sprinter hitch. Unfortunately when you plug in the taillight system the Sprinter thinks you are pulling a trailer and shuts off the lane change warning system in the van. If you "swing" it over to the passenger side you can open the passenger side door a long way open, easily enough to fully open the driver side rear door and access your van. Overall we are very happy we have it.

Unless there has been a change, the Stowaway II hitch frame is 250 pounds, with the box 200. Seems like I recall the box weight 46/47 pounds or so. Sure like my hitch frame, or whatever it is called.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #20
Silver Member

Thanks again for the additional feedback, especially the photos! I'm convinced, will order a white Stowaway today

Happy Labor Day weekend all!