Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2023, 12:56 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Trip Wizard and our trip from FL to UT

The program was fairly straight forward and in three days. The plain was to drive up the interstate of I-75, to I-10 West until AZ and then turn up to Salt Lake City, UT. All-in-all about 2300 miles. But the Hills were concerning to my wife and using MSNMAPS.com as well as MapsGoogle.com where I could drop down and checkout a roadway.

But thinking I was all set; I spoke with some friends at a BBQ who do a lot of Bicycle Camping and trips like CA to Washington D.C. He told me they use the website (( flattestroute.com )) I entered my two points and the route jumped from Tampa, Fl up I-75 North up into TN, Nasville, Il then St. Louis, MO, into Kansas up to I-80 into Nebraska and the highways speed jumped up to 75-MPH on I-80 west into WY where the speed jumped to 80-MPH. all with lots of fuel stops, places to grab a bit or two. right into UT and a few miles less than 2300-MILES.

Returned to my Trip Wizard and made the necessary adjustments in record time showing more stops. We drove about 500 miles per day all in five days. While on the trip I spoke to a fellow RV'er and he shared a wonderful website called "RVPARKY.com" after 40 years of camping I love this website as you can use it for Canada or Mexico as well as the USA, but best of all it shows each RV PARKS Amenities which is most helpful when worrying about your RV's limitation. But I love Trip Wizard, and strongly suggest anyone in an RV hitting the roadways to learn how it works as it has a sample you can try out first.

But where every you go, be safe and enjoy the roadway adventures waiting for you. ON THE WAY BACK WE turned down South in Laramy, WY to Denver on 287 a two lane but after driving highways was a welcomed change and once into CO WOW loved the rocks and landscapes. Once East of Denver, CO with a heavy rain and snow starting up above 6000 feet. We turned East onto I-70 and turned South down to Wichita, KS lots of rain the whole way and crazy winds on out Class B Coachmen MB 3500XD handled them all very well and ran like a well-made clock. We also found our loved Starbucks once inside AK, TN GA and oh yes Florida. Loved the trip and time we had visiting our two newest Great Granddaughters Sophiea and Alice.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 12:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

We've just finished a 4500 mile trip, using a combo of RV Parky and Google Maps to find each next stop. No long term scheduling. This worked fine for us but I'll give TW a try next time out.
I find that a combination of internet sleuthing seems to give us a goid range of choices based on our general direction and daily range.
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 07:15 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Trek View Post
We've just finished a 4500 mile trip, using a combo of RV Parky and Google Maps to find each next stop. No long term scheduling. This worked fine for us but I'll give TW a try next time out.
I find that a combination of internet sleuthing seems to give us a goid range of choices based on our general direction and daily range.
Good feedback and you may be interested in the "flattestroute.com" my wife was a bit concerned in driving over the hills and this was a major change in our plain. Miles 2250 about the same with many less hills to cross on small roadways. YES, I loved the RvParky website with each RV Parks amenities shown. I did also enjoy MSNMAPS com as it was much like Maps. Google but with less fighting with route changes. I will never take another trip without using Trip Wizard a bit to understand at first but is a short few day and after watching the demo I was off and running. Then had to make the routing check to avoid mountains and without a problem it made the switch and connection for me which I thought was very cool. Almost like having A.L. Trip wizard in the seat next to me. Thanks for sharing Happy Travels, be safe and enjoy the road trip adventures.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 10:07 PM   #4
Platinum Member

That's great info, thanks.
We enjoy moderate grade routes but to be honest it gets tiresome for us to be up and down for hours on 6%+ grades. I'll look at that site you mentioned. My problem is since I work on our stuff I tend to think mechanical stress lol. Hard on brakes, transmission, u-joints but also to be honest, nothing's failed except for a couple of cooked pads occasionally. I do change out drive line fluids/filters after such a trip (including this last one), no matter the mileage. You'd be surprised at how much clutch debris can collect in the pan.

Anyway, I digress - I appreciate the trip tips you've posted.
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, mbvan, roundtrip, rvparky, trip wizard