Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 10:19 PM   #1

Default What Material Do They Use To Seal A/C Unit

I have a 2010 Great West Van that has a raised fiberglass roof with the A/C unit installed in the back of the roof. I'm running wire for solar and pulled the cover off to find that I should maybe do some general upkeep around the A/C shroud. I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of material the original manufacturers may have used to seal these up. It's like Foam In A Can type stuff but it's pretty soft and you can easily pull it apart in your fingers. Kind of like cotton candy but seems weatherproof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7663.jpg (234.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7664.jpg (262.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7665.jpg (153.9 KB, 18 views)
CropDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum!

Having no specific knowledge of your unit, I'll just say your description sounds like water-based spray foam I've used before. Doesn't get brittle or as hard as the sticky stuff.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:43 PM   #3

Thanks rowiebowie. I didn't even know they made a water-based formula. Any idea why they would chose this over something like Great Stuff? I'm wondering if I can just use the popular yellow expanding spray foam to redo it all...
crop duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:08 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crop duster View Post
Thanks rowiebowie. I didn't even know they made a water-based formula. Any idea why they would chose this over something like Great Stuff? I'm wondering if I can just use the popular yellow expanding spray foam to redo it all...
Could be because it's less pressure when expanding (won't distort panels), easier to work with, easier to remove, more friendly to the environment, who knows. It doesn't look like it's turned yellow in the sun like the polyurethane foam does.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote