Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 08:20 PM   #1

Default Wind Noise - how to quiet it down?

Hey guys, I'm new to this. I recently bought a 1988 Dodge Xplorer Xtra Van.

It's so loud in the coach when driving on the freeway that I can't even talk to the person in the passenger seat at a normal volume.

Do any of you fine folks have any ideas on how I can make it a quieter ride? Most of the noise is wind, from the windows on the driver and passenger doors.

I thought about looking for some of those air deflectors that go around the windows, but I'm really trying to keep it stealthy. I want to make this a stealth camping van, so I don't want to attract a lot of attention. I think those air deflectors might make it stand out and be more noticeable. Plus, I don't even know if those things really work or not anyway, I've never used them.

Any advice?
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

It sounds like the weather stripping that seals the doors and windows needs to be replaced. It's really easy to do, you just need to find the stuff.

https://www.metrommp.com/ is one suggestion I found online. Just search for automotive weather stripping.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Replacing the weatherstrips is a good idea. If that doesn't do enough then we suggest 3M Thinsulate(TM) noise/thermal insulation engineered for vehicles. PM me for a sample or visit us on ebay: impactproducts | eBay

All the best,
Hein
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote