Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2021, 08:53 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Window Latch

This probably only relevant to older rvs but I have this type of window latch on my side door windows (one on each door) that pulls up and then pushes out to get air into the van. I have a single rear door with a large window (1997 PW) and it has 2 of these latches. There is also a sticker saying that you shouldn't open this window while running the engine. I've never been able to get the rear window open and when investigating found that the 2 latches appear to have a rivet in them (see pic) that appears to go through the stem of the latch and prevents it from being pulled up. Any one seen this before or know that if I drill it out the latch will work? Thanks. Glenn

IMG_8002.jpg
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:14 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Yep. Drill it out and it will work.

It was put there on Roadtreks to keep the window closed on those units with a generator.

Pleasure way must have used it to enforce the engine exhaust gas warning.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:42 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Could that be true on my 2014 Roadtrek, too? I thought something was stuck, but it never occurred to me it might be intentional. Side door glass works fine but neither rear door window will open.

Learn something every day!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:08 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Yep. Drill it out and it will work.

It was put there on Roadtreks to keep the window closed on those units with a generator.

Pleasure way must have used it to enforce the engine exhaust gas warning.
I have the same 2 latches on my 2001 Roadtrek 190 back window and I have a generator. Mine are functional and open the window. Not sure if it was modified in the past.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:51 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks, hb. I'll give it a try. Any suggestions on where to get a window screen for the rear window?

Glenn
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:59 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Thanks, hb. I'll give it a try. Any suggestions on where to get a window screen for the rear window?
Yep. They are called Skeeter Beeters. Magnetic net fits over the open windows. Not perfect but they work. Remove when moving.

Roadtrek just used a small screw to lock them, not a rivet.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:36 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
This probably only relevant to older rvs but I have this type of window latch on my side door windows (one on each door) that pulls up and then pushes out to get air into the van. I have a single rear door with a large window (1997 PW) and it has 2 of these latches. There is also a sticker saying that you shouldn't open this window while running the engine. I've never been able to get the rear window open and when investigating found that the 2 latches appear to have a rivet in them (see pic) that appears to go through the stem of the latch and prevents it from being pulled up. Any one seen this before or know that if I drill it out the latch will work? Thanks. Glenn

Attachment 11068
Those latches can get really difficult to open if they haven't been used for a while. I have a 1999 RT and had one of the back window latches replaced because I had to use both hands to pull it up. My side door window is like that too but not quite as bad. I have a generator too, but I'm not the first owner so maybe a previous owner changed the latches to open.
Pam
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote