Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2018, 01:01 AM   #841
Platinum Member

The fronts are basically rubber spacers that reduce the spring travel. What that should do is stiffen them up a bit to reduce porpoising and yaw. It won't provide any extra load carrying or lift. Since neither axle is near it's max, there should still be quite a bit of travel on both front and rear springs, so I'm not thinking there would be any ill effects. If they prove too stiff, I can always pull the front ones out and discard them.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:29 AM   #842
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

The porpoising effect is why I installed Sumo bump stops on our current Sprinter after doing the rears a couple weeks prior. All the way around sure made a difference in the bounce and sway

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:33 AM   #843
Platinum Member

Default Ordered our Travato 59K Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post

I wouldn't worry about a Travato on dirt or forest roads if it's not too rough with rocks or deep ruts. As said above, the rear axle is the low point at 6.5", but people don't really report problems as the axle travels with the wheels (as you roll over things).

Transit has shock bottom supports that hang down pretty low, so that is something that you could easily get hung up on. Looks lower than Promaster on the ones I've spotted, and looks lower than the rear trans-axle housing too.

Sprinter and Sprinter 4x4 is probably the best on ground clearance. Chevy Express is looks to be a close second on clearance.
I am reassured to read the info in your post about the Travato.

I ordered our 59K today so in about 12 weeks we will be finding out in person how it does down the forest service roads. Can not wait.

Everybody's knowledge here was so helpful in deciding to get a Travato. It is genuinely appreciated.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #844

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
I am reassured to read the info in your post about the Travato.

I ordered our 59K today so in about 12 weeks we will be finding out in person how it does down the forest service roads. Can not wait.

Everybody's knowledge here was so helpful in deciding to get a Travato. It is genuinely appreciated.
Congrats on your new order! I am also looking at the new 59K (maybe even KL) and would appreciate anything you can share on the ordering experience. What was your MSRP and negotiated price with all options included? Were you able to to get dealer to throw in any accessories/goodies to sweeten the deal? Anything else worth sharing here from buying experience?

Anyone else who was ever preordering from Winnebago dealer, please also chime in on how hard can we push dealers on RVs that have to be ordered in advance compared to the ones on the lot.

Cheers!
netscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #845
Gold Member

[QUOTE=cruising7388;71387]Consider down sizing the barbecue which generally is much larger than you need for something like the Iwatani.
Thanks @cruising7388 - a simpler solution is the best solution!
jharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #846
Platinum Member

We have found that a 9X12" Magma propane grille works very well for us. Big enough for the two of us, but still small enough to fit in the side storage of Chevy Roadtrek 190. We run it off a 15" hose from the van propane tank.

We also carry a Fold-n-Go propane two burner stove, that also fits in the side storage, but hardly ever use it because the Magma works so well for us.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #847
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by netscorer View Post
Congrats on your new order! I am also looking at the new 59K (maybe even KL) and would appreciate anything you can share on the ordering experience. What was your MSRP and negotiated price with all options included? Were you able to to get dealer to throw in any accessories/goodies to sweeten the deal? Anything else worth sharing here from buying experience?

Anyone else who was ever preordering from Winnebago dealer, please also chime in on how hard can we push dealers on RVs that have to be ordered in advance compared to the ones on the lot.

Cheers!

I personally don't like to be specific on numbers only to say that 25-30% off sticker, (not including taxes, dealer markups, or fees) is the norm for a Winnebago Class B or C.
Some dealers will give you a great price up front (Lichtsinn, Lewis, Colonial, Reliable, I'm familiar with). Others it's like pulling teeth. Don't be afraid to walk away. There's plenty to choose from, and they are always making more units.
Price is not the only consideration to take into account....delivery PDI and the experience is worth something

Old 05-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #848
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
I personally don't like to be specific on numbers only to say that 25-30% off sticker, (not including taxes, dealer markups, or fees) is the norm for a Winnebago Class B or C.
Some dealers will give you a great price up front (Lichtsinn, Lewis, Colonial, Reliable, I'm familiar with). Others it's like pulling teeth. Don't be afraid to walk away. There's plenty to choose from, and they are always making more units.
Price is not the only consideration to take into account....delivery PDI and the experience is worth something
This post is right on the money (bad pun intended).
Old 06-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #849
Gold Member

I am encouraged to see quite a few members on this thread have ordered a 2019 59K.
I am hoping to join the crowd in Sep.

I did a lot of pricing, and the big dealers - Ray Lewis, Lichstsinn, La Mesa, etc. are exactly the same - but not all of them will order exactly what you want. For example, Lichstinn will not order one for you without the full body paint - which seems a little redundant on a charcoal exterior, but is a must for the silver.

But as a new owner, I have 2 questions for this forum:
a) For those of you who have replaced the rear bump stops with a Sumo Springs (yellow) aftermarket part - have you done the replacement yourself, or was it done by a professional? If by a professional, how much does it cost?

b) The generator that comes with the 59K is *awfully* loud. What's the cure?
Saw on YouTube that some owners have added a resonator.
But they don't actually give any decibel readings to show if the power has dropped, or just the "note" or "pitch" of the sound has become a little less obnoxious
Old 06-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #850
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharu View Post

But they don't actually give any decibel readings to show if the power has dropped, or just the "note" or "pitch" of the sound has become a little less obnoxious

One person has added the resonator PLUS a 45 degree extension that points downward. He said it helped.

Bear in mind most people seldom use the generator even if they thought they would use it often. If it is unbearably hot, go to a full service campsite and plug into AC so that you can run the AC.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #851
Gold Member

Thanks, @BBQ!
As it is said, a simpler solution is the better solution

For those of you who have used generators, I am assuming that the *total* usage was less than 50 hrs for the year?
Old 06-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #852
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks, @BBQ!
As it is said, a simpler solution is the better solution

For those of you who have used generators, I am assuming that the *total* usage was less than 50 hrs for the year?

If you check the RVTraders, you will find many 10+ yrs old RV with 20 hrs on the genset.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #853
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
If you check the RVTraders, you will find many 10+ yrs old RV with 20 hrs on the genset.
Well, if you are doing the specified monthly minimum hours of usage then you should have around 24 hours of usage per year even if you never use it for real. Those old RV’s with low hours on the generator may require some investment to get the generator in good shape...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #854
Gold Member

Again, thanks for all the insight, folks!
But I am going to assume that no matter how many hours you have on the generator, you are still changing the oil once a year?
[I think the oil needs to be changed every 50 hrs of operation?]
Old 06-21-2018, 09:04 PM   #855
Platinum Member

Default Thoughts and Answers to Your Questions

Quote:
I am encouraged to see quite a few members on this thread have ordered a 2019 59K.
I am hoping to join the crowd in Sep.

I did a lot of pricing, and the big dealers - Ray Lewis, Lichstsinn, La Mesa, etc. are exactly the same - but not all of them will order exactly what you want. For example, Lichstinn will not order one for you without the full body paint - which seems a little redundant on a charcoal exterior, but is a must for the silver.

But as a new owner, I have 2 questions for this forum:
a) For those of you who have replaced the rear bump stops with a Sumo Springs (yellow) aftermarket part - have you done the replacement yourself, or was it done by a professional? If by a professional, how much does it cost?

I ordered mine from Lichtsinn in Granite WITHOUT full body paint. It's part of the reason I wanted Granite. I actually think it looks more rugged and outdoorsy with the regular bumpers and is less $ too. I do think the Silver and Red look better with full body paint but I have not been impressed with the painting that Winnebago does on the bumpers. They are also, well, bumpers so I suspect unpainted will look better longer as they get bumped. Also, Lichtsinn very cheerfully and professionally ordered exactly what I wanted so something is weird there if you are getting a different story.

I even worked with Lichtsinn to have them order and install the rear SumoSprings. It looks easy to do yourself and cheaper to have done elsewhere but I just wanted it done before I drive 2,000 miles home.

We don't pick our 59K up until end of next month but the second mod I will make is having the Owen resonator installed locally. Everything I have read suggest is does little or nothing for the volume of the sound but it noticeably and significantly changes the tone of the sound to make it less obnoxious/annoying. That for us will be totally worth it.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:25 PM   #856
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
I ordered mine from Lichtsinn in Granite WITHOUT full body paint. It's part of the reason I wanted Granite. I actually think it looks more rugged and outdoorsy with the regular bumpers and is less $ too. I do think the Silver and Red look better with full body paint but I have not been impressed with the painting that Winnebago does on the bumpers. They are also, well, bumpers so I suspect unpainted will look better longer as they get bumped. Also, Lichtsinn very cheerfully and professionally ordered exactly what I wanted so something is weird there if you are getting a different story.

I even worked with Lichtsinn to have them order and install the rear SumoSprings. It looks easy to do yourself and cheaper to have done elsewhere but I just wanted it done before I drive 2,000 miles home.

We don't pick our 59K up until end of next month but the second mod I will make is having the Owen resonator installed locally. Everything I have read suggest is does little or nothing for the volume of the sound but it noticeably and significantly changes the tone of the sound to make it less obnoxious/annoying. That for us will be totally worth it.
That's great information, @teck13!
I totally agree with you on the bumpers!
However, I am a little surprised that Lichtsinn treated me a little differently than they treated you. They were absolutely adamant on the full-body paint.
And I wasn't too thrilled about paying the $2K more.

I am also on the same page with you on the resonator. Without it, it is positively obnoxious
I am just curious as to how much the labor is on the Sumo Springs and resonator installations.
I plan to do both
Old 06-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #857
Platinum Member

Dealers generally make more percentage on options than the base vehicle which is why generally they are happy to encourage a customer to purchase options. But again, Lichtsinn is generally really customer focused even with options. For example, they recommend against the pricy dual pane acrylic window option. Not sure who you are dealing with there? Maybe email Ron directly to get it sorted out. So far, and we have not yet picker our K up, they have been fabulous and 100% professional. Not the absolute cheapest but the most knowledgeable and transparent.

I am sure this has been mentioned, and I myself resisted mightily, but I ended up joining Facebook solely so I could join the Travato Owners and Wanabee Group. Ridiculous amount of information on pricing of vehicles, options, Sumo installs, resonator install etc.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:37 AM   #858
Platinum Member

The resonator helps tone down the genny, it is an improvement, and for 20.00, well worth it. I had 9 hours on my generator after the first year in my Travato - 8.45 hours was "exercising". About 15 minutes was on the side of the road to use the microwave to heat up lunch. I have since removed the genny, and installed a cheap inverter to run the microwave.

I installed the sumo springs myself in my driveway in less than a half an hour. It took longer to get the tools together and jack up the van. The only problem with having it done, is most mechanics have not done it before, and dont know what they are in for, so they quote enough money to "cover" themselves.. If you find someone you can physically show them the springs and point to where they go - it should be a minimal charge - actually it is less effort than changing a wheel out (and the wheels do NOT need to be removed).
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:21 AM   #859
Platinum Member

Exactly what Scott said above about the Sumos. They are a piece of cake to install, biggest issue is getting the rear jacked up 4-5" so they will fit in the space. The rear wheels do not have to be off the vehicle or the ground.
I'm surprised too about Lichtsinn on the ordering Granite without the bumper paint. True, he doesn't stock any, but an order for a customer is what he/she wants, not what they want. Better do a bit more checking on that and like what was said, email Ron directly about it.
We've bought 2 class B's from Ron over the last 5 years. Both excellent experiences all around. (latest a '19 K)
The resonator is worth the install. It doesn't make it much quieter, but changes the pitch of the sound to a more pleasant roar to the ears. It's on my to do list...
Oh, and the oil change interval on the Onan gas is first 20-25 hrs, then 150 hrs or one year

Old 06-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #860
Bronze Member

We don't pick our 59K up until end of next month but the second mod I will make is having the Owen resonator installed locally. Everything I have read suggest is does little or nothing for the volume of the sound but it noticeably and significantly changes the tone of the sound to make it less obnoxious/annoying. That for us will be totally worth it.[/QUOTE]

Pleasure Way will be installing the resonator on all of their products for 2019 which they will be building about now. We should be encouraging Winnebago to do the same.
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote