Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2020, 02:34 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default A couple of questions about mid 2000's Road Trek 190's.

In the RT's built in the mid 2000's, there is an internal and external fresh water tank. Does anyone know how many gallons is in the external tank and the internal tank?

Also, is the macerator pump an efficient and generally problem free method of emptying the black and gray tanks.
Atlee Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:46 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Total water capacity is 31 gallons per Roadtrek. Memory says external is 17 gallons and internal is 14 gallons. I cannot find a written source for those numbers.

I don’t have a macerator but they are not problem free which is why later models had an optional gravity dump.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee Hokie View Post
In the RT's built in the mid 2000's, there is an internal and external fresh water tank. Does anyone know how many gallons is in the external tank and the internal tank?

Also, is the macerator pump an efficient and generally problem free method of emptying the black and gray tanks.

Macerators are very efficient and easy way to dump tanks, IMO. Better in every way compared to gravity dumping.

They do fail, however, for some folks repeatedly. There are a couple known issues with Chevy 190 installation including the the pump is mounted upside down from it's preferred position. The pump issues are addressable and are covered in a couple of discussions on this forum.

It is also possible to add a gravity dump to the macerator system so if it the macerator fails, you can still dump. We have such a system on our 07 190P and have for many years. (we have never needed to use it as we have not had a macerator failure).

The macerator can also be taken off and converted to a gravity only dump.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Any reason why the macerators were fitted upside down from their preferred position other than they fit better upside down?

I'll do a search and see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Macerators are very efficient and easy way to dump tanks, IMO. Better in every way compared to gravity dumping.

They do fail, however, for some folks repeatedly. There are a couple known issues with Chevy 190 installation including the the pump is mounted upside down from it's preferred position. The pump issues are addressable and are covered in a couple of discussions on this forum.

It is also possible to add a gravity dump to the macerator system so if it the macerator fails, you can still dump. We have such a system on our 07 190P and have for many years. (we have never needed to use it as we have not had a macerator failure).

The macerator can also be taken off and converted to a gravity only dump.
Old 12-25-2020, 12:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Here you go:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ions-3249.html
Old 12-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:

05/04 190 fresh water: 15 gallons outside, 10 gallons inside. As I recall, the 210's were the same.

Gray water 22 gallons, black 10 gallons.

I carry another 3.5 gallons of fresh water and Do NOT have any need for the gray/black water worthless sensors/lights.

As I recall the manuals are online with the capacities.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the replies. Has given me food for thought.

However, between the really low ground clearance and the sometimes problematic macerator system, I'm about ready to chuck the idea of getting a used Roadtrek. I don't to have to spend $1,000 +/- just to raise it a couple of inches off the ground. Nor do I want to go through the drill of fixing a balky macerator pump. At this stage in my life I do not need to add complications, I want to minimize them.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #8
Platinum Member

If you like the Chevy chassis, you can also look at the the Pleasure-way Lexor and the Airstream Avenue. They don't sit as low as the Roadtreks and don't have macerators although not positive on all years of the Avenues for the macerator.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Have the seller put on a new macerator if you are concerned about it as they do last for years. Our 2004 is probably on its 3rd one.
The ground clearance is annoying as you can't get close to curbs and you need to inspect the area before going off-road but you can live with it if need be. I did a 5" lift on mine.
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 04:59 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Even with a 5" lift, you are having trouble with clearance problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
Have the seller put on a new macerator if you are concerned about it as they do last for years. Our 2004 is probably on its 3rd one.
The ground clearance is annoying as you can't get close to curbs and you need to inspect the area before going off-road but you can live with it if need be. I did a 5" lift on mine.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:19 PM   #11
Bronze Member

The Lexor presents me with a different problem. I want to be able to take our 3 young grandchildren (one at a time) camping. The 190 Popular allows this.
Neither the Lexor does that, nor does an Avenue. A quick look showed no used Avenues.

I'll have to decide how to proceed. Get a RT 190P, pay for lift kits, & cross my fingers the stupid macerator doesn't mess up. Trade my current car for a 4-down toad and pull it behind my current Class C. Or just go back to a trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If you like the Chevy chassis, you can also look at the the Pleasure-way Lexor and the Airstream Avenue. They don't sit as low as the Roadtreks and don't have macerators although not positive on all years of the Avenues for the macerator.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Our 190P only has 3 real seats, you will want to verify seating before travelling to see a van because they vary.
The problem with the clearance is with the stock height. With 5" I have no problems but you would be fine with the 2" lift (coil spacers and blocks for the leafs).
Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
The Lexor presents me with a different problem. I want to be able to take our 3 young grandchildren (one at a time) camping. The 190 Popular allows this.
Not sure why you couldn’t. From what I can see the Lexor is just like my P190 except the galley and wet bath are reversed (mine does not have the middle seats). There are two 3-point belts on the rear folding sofa, and it would be fairly easy to rig a child cot across the front seats.

Does your current Class C have rear forward-facing seating with 3-point belts?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:44 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I have a 2006 Lexor TD.
Only the 2 van seats have belts

the rear is 2 couches which convert to bed by filling the center aisle with supports and the bolsters.

not designed for occupancy

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I have a 2006 Lexor TD.
Only the 2 van seats have belts

the rear is 2 couches which convert to bed by filling the center aisle with supports and the bolsters.

not designed for occupancy

Mike
I looked at photos of a 2007 for sale with a single front-facing, folding couch across the back and what appeared to be shoulder belts. Could that have been an option like it is on Roadtreks?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #16
Platinum Member

That may be a Lexor TS model?

I've not been in one- worth looking at.

We are very happy with our TD and clearance is hardly an issue
I suppose the R/T drop floor causes the issue mentioned above
Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
That may be a Lexor TS model?

I've not been in one- worth looking at.

We are very happy with our TD and clearance is hardly an issue
I suppose the R/T drop floor causes the issue mentioned above
Mike
I just double-checked, and you are correct- it's the TS variant that seats four for travel. There are two 2007 Lexor TS models for sale on RVTrader.com, and both have the rear lounge with outboard 3-point belts.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:44 PM   #18
Gold Member

2006 190 P. I've replaced the mascerator and both blade valves. Its an easy job. The hardest part is getting under the Roadtrek. I built some ramps out of 2x10's that fit right under the ground effects. I can drive up on them and comfortably get underneath the van.
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:06 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here is an unexpected discovery.
In our recently acquired 2003 Chevy 190V, there is no filler port in the driver door jamb for the external tank.

Tank is there but no fill port.

Can it be filled from City water port?

Has anyone else here experienced that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201231_184029.jpg (31.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20201231_184239.jpg (27.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-31-2020, 11:13 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Also, propane switch for water heater acts strange.
Switch it on (switch above kitchen sink) and the red indicator glows, ignition occurs, flame comes on, red indicator immediately goes out; flame continues and hot water results in about 3 minutes.
My owners manual does not indicate what the actual behavior should be.
Previous rigs we have had, the indicator light stayed on throughout the heating cycle.
Is this the normal behavior on my RT?

(Apologies for hijacking this thread, but have never been enabled to "start threads".)