Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #1

Default Fiamma Awning Height 07 RT

Found that when the awning is rolled out our door opening and closing rubs on the awning and am concerned about damaging it. If the awning is raised high enough it appears that it will not shed the rain properly. Anyone have any suggestions for this? I know that awning is not supposed to be out all the time (kind of wonder why RT would put one on then) but clearly need an awning when it rains.
Travlinphoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Same here on our '14 Chevy RT with an electric Carefree awning. In light-to-moderate rain with minimal wind, I'd suggest reefing in the awning at least halfway. Raise the front end enough to clear the door and drop the back end to create drainage. Heavy rain and/or gusty wind, take it all the way in.

If you're looking for a way to be outside in bad weather, a freestanding Clam shelter or similar is much sturdier, and removeable side panels keep wind-driven rain out.

Both are nice, but serve different purposes.
Old 02-19-2021, 11:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the information. I typically will run out the awning on a good day for shade but always and i mean always secure both ends of the awning with tie down straps secured in the ground with screw in stakes. . This is my third RV with an awning and this method has not failed me even in the worst of thunderstorms. Key is to keep tthe lines taught. Of course it is always rolled up when we are away for any length of time. I will have to play with it to find a sweet spot so door can open without too much damage to the awning material.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
Gold Member

There are several sources online for adjusting the pitch of a Carefree Awning. https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/d...ers-Manual.pdf Fiama should have something out there.

I had to raise mine so I could walk under the front without ducking.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:34 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Default Awning Saver - Wheel or Roller Ball

Hi,

There are Awning Savers that you can attach to the top corner of your door. There are two styles - with a roller wheel or a roller ball. That way the wheel or roller ball makes contact with the awning instead of the door corner. It prevents the corner of the RV door from wearing/tearing the awning.

They have them on Amazon and at RV stores. On one style the wheel is removable but a mounting plate stays attached to the door. On the other styles, the wheel or roller stays attached to the door. I attached some photos of the various types.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg awning roller 1.jpg (89.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg awning roller 2.jpg (37.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg awning roller 3.jpg (43.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg awning roller 4.jpg (59.5 KB, 4 views)

Now: 1998 Coachmen Starflyte FRB 21' Class B+
Formerly: 1996 Coachmen M19-RD GMC 19' Class B
TatraDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:00 PM   #6

Default Awning saver

My third motorhome and never heard of them. Seems easy fix. Will look into it. Thanks.