Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 12:03 AM   #81
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Thanks for that. We're right now struggling with our convection microwave requirement, because many we're interested in do not have that. I've posted a question to "The Kitchen" section of this forum to ask what people who like to bake do when their rig doesn't have a convection microwave.
Both the Coachmen Galleria and Beyond have convection microwaves.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:14 AM   #82
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks for that. We're right now struggling with our convection microwave requirement, because many we're interested in do not have that. I've posted a question to "The Kitchen" section of this forum to ask what people who like to bake do when their rig doesn't have a convection microwave.
We really wanted a convection too but we weren’t really willing to pay $$$ just so we could bake cookies. Most of the rigs we saw with convections were either newer or far from where we lived. It just wasn’t worth it. My wife is huge into baking but she said she’d be saving that for when we’re home. It’s one of the things we made a concession on. Refrigerator/freezer was a bigger deal for us.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:36 AM   #83
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Old View Post
We really wanted a convection too but we weren’t really willing to pay $$$ just so we could bake cookies. Most of the rigs we saw with convections were either newer or far from where we lived. It just wasn’t worth it. My wife is huge into baking but she said she’d be saving that for when we’re home. It’s one of the things we made a concession on. Refrigerator/freezer was a bigger deal for us.
Agree, having a decent-sized compressor fridge is more important than a convection microwave. We're also wondering out loud, "What if we yanked out the microwave, reclaiming that space for storage, and then carried something like this instead? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001L5TVGW/ We could use it on the countertop to avoid any problems with heating that could happen inside a cabinet designed to hold a conventional microwave.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:38 AM   #84
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
Both the Coachmen Galleria and Beyond have convection microwaves.
Oh, this is news, because we had the very strong impression that the Beyond did not have convection. In fact, a dealer told us that today. I would love it if they were wrong.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #85
Platinum Member

We have an all-electyric class B with convection-microwave and good size fridge and freezer. Plenty of battery power so can cook dinner, bake, make coffee etc. without plugging in or running noisy generator. Trade-off - large lithium systems are expensive.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #86
Platinum Member

You'll need some smaller pans for baking in a Class B convection. For example, our standard corn bread recipe (for a 9 inch pan) works great, halved and baked in a 7 inch round pan - perfect for two people. (The same pan will bake 4-5 cookies at a time.) We camp year round and having the ability to bake is really nice in cold weather.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:12 PM   #87
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerMark View Post
If the rig you want doesn't have an appliance that you want, just toss it to Goodwill.

We are putting a Samsung convection microwave and roasting grill in place of regular microwave.

MG11H2020CT is the model.

But there are hundreds of appliances out there. Just get what you want and stick it in the space that you have or can make.
Like I said.......back on page 1. It works.
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:13 PM   #88
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzar View Post
We have an all-electyric class B with convection-microwave and good size fridge and freezer. Plenty of battery power so can cook dinner, bake, make coffee etc. without plugging in or running noisy generator. Trade-off - large lithium systems are expensive.
We have the same and will have again in our 144 WB Sprinter. I get hungry after a long time on the road for pizza and ice cream I routinely have at home. Large freezers can accommodate both and a convection oven can bake pizzas. I've carried an electric pizza oven in the past and made pizza in a Dutch oven over charcoals from scratch. However that takes prep time. Craving can come up on you and a frozen pizza can satisfy in a pinch. If we didn't have a convection/microwave then we would have to carry another portable appliance to bake. Some people with ARV's have been resorting to that. I'll have to explore that option. We will be carrying an Instant Pot and I have a place for it designed.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #89
Platinum Member

I agree: Need large compresser fereezer for ice cream in summer and oven for cookies in winter. Nothing makes a better campsite neighbor than showing up at a campfire on a cool evening with a plate of warm chocolate chip cookies. (Davyyd - Are you building your smaller Sprinter through ARV? When I visited them before buying our van they could only build on the largest/extended chassis - lots of customizing options but only in a single van body.)
Old 08-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #90
Platinum Member

Belzar,

Yes, it is a custom build from ARV. They have built several 144 wb Sprinters now and every one of them have been custom and different from each other. I've posted a few design images in threads here. I've also opened an album in the Community:Pictures & Albums in this forum titled "Mies - "Less is more" 144 WB Sprinter" from which to draw photos from to post in this forum.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:12 PM   #91
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey, cool. What is the brand and model of your particular RV?
Old 08-04-2020, 08:43 PM   #92
Platinum Member

We have a Roadtrek CS that seems to meet all these needs with lots of conveniences and comforts.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:44 PM   #93
Platinum Member

Quote:
We have a Roadtrek CS that seems to meet all these needs with lots of conveniences and comforts.
Cool, thanks, will start researching that model.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:25 AM   #94
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh, this is news, because we had the very strong impression that the Beyond did not have convection. In fact, a dealer told us that today. I would love it if they were wrong.
Sorry. I just checked and found I was wrong. The Galleria has the convection microwave, but the Crossfit//Beyond is conventional. I'm really surprised that Coachmen doesn't use the same for both, as both models are built interchangeably on the same line.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:26 AM   #95
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
Sorry. I just checked and found I was wrong. The Galleria has the convection microwave, but the Crossfit//Beyond is conventional. I'm really surprised that Coachmen doesn't use the same for both, as both models are built interchangeably on the same line.
No worries, thanks for checking. The Galleria is longer than the Beyond, so they probably have a little more room for a convection unit in that model.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #96
Silver Member

As a matter of fact, I just visited my local dealer this morning, and they have both the new beyond and the new Galleria on their lot; I can confirm that the Galleria has the convection and the beyond does not. I'm mystified as to why. I don't *think* it's a length issue, since the widths of the two microwaves were almost identical. It may be that they were trying to shave some pennies off the build cost on the beyond.
PleasantonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:14 AM   #97
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantonMac View Post
As a matter of fact, I just visited my local dealer this morning, and they have both the new beyond and the new Galleria on their lot; I can confirm that the Galleria has the convection and the beyond does not. I'm mystified as to why. I don't *think* it's a length issue, since the widths of the two microwaves were almost identical. It may be that they were trying to shave some pennies off the build cost on the beyond.
Great info generated by feet on the ground, thanks for doing that.

Speaking of feet on the ground, today we went to look at a 2017 RoadTrek CS built in a 2016 Sprinter. It had roughly 25K miles on it. We were pleased to see the convection micro and the large compressor fridge. Sadly, we just don't like the floor plan. alternate full-height cabinets on both sides of the van, which makes it feel very closed in. In return one gets a lot of storage, but it just feels so small and dark in there. The galley is also quite small, with very little room to make meals. The window shades are literally cheap aluminum Venetian blinds. Yuck. This particular rig was in need of a good deal of maintenance, as the coach batteries were clearly flat, and the hinges for every overhead cabinet had become so weak that you either had to hold the door up with one hand or with your head for fear that it would slam shut at any moment. Also, the treads on the running boards and the automatic step had clearly started coming off and were literally held on with gorilla tape. Given that kind of maintenance regimen, even if we liked the floor plan, we would have skipped this particular unit. Given these concerns, we didn't even try to start the engine.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #98
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, lots of great ideas here. A few updates:
  • Today we learned that as of the 2021.5 model cycle, the 3-way fridges in Pleasure-Way's FL (front lounge) models (Lexor and Plateau) have been swapped out for a 12v/120v compressor fridge. That's a huge win.
There are a number of changes coming to the 2021.5 model refresh, at least for the Ascent (which I just ordered). This recent thread outlines those changes (compressor fridge, induction stove, standard radius cabinets, kitchen countertops, variable speed generator, etc). The thread also includes some pricing information. You may want to get a list of changes from PW for the models you are considering. Good luck on your search!

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ent-10800.html
Old 08-06-2020, 05:30 PM   #99
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho View Post
There are a number of changes coming to the 2021.5 model refresh, at least for the Ascent (which I just ordered). This recent thread outlines those changes (compressor fridge, induction stove, standard radius cabinets, kitchen countertops, variable speed generator, etc). The thread also includes some pricing information. You may want to get a list of changes from PW for the models you are considering. Good luck on your search!

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...ent-10800.html
Hey, thanks for this link to the other thread, much appreciated! I'll post a question there for you.